PDA

View Full Version : Airstrips near Yass, NSW

goin'flyin
9th Sep 2009, 23:41
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any airstrips in close proximity to Yass?
Needs to be minimum of 600m, grass/unsealed is fine.

I need to get a client to Yass and would prefer not to have to drive for an hour from Canberra, or Cootamundra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Goin'

vee1-rotate
10th Sep 2009, 02:08
just loaded up my Google Earth where I have all of the ALA's from the country airstrip guide marked, and the closest ones I can see are at Cootamundra, Collector, Harden and Ashwell Station (near Crookwell)

Under Dog
10th Sep 2009, 03:53
Goin Flyin
Have noticed astrip a number of times on approach in to canberra. It appears just off the left of the IAF for 17vor approach.Sorry can't give any more details apart from it well looked after and would be greater than 600m.

Regards The Dog

Inbound On Descent
10th Sep 2009, 05:59
CB - Yass 40 minutes by road. Probably not too many other options 'round those parts.

Minimbah
10th Sep 2009, 06:01
I'm not a pilot so cannot decode Under Dog's reference, but am an ex Canberra resident. There is a private airfiled just over the boarder in NSW next to the Barton Highway to Yass which was well maintained when I lived there. You've still got about a 30 minutes drive though.

Had a look on Google Earth and its at:
35 08 37 25 S
149 02 39 58 E

Minimbah

bentleg
10th Sep 2009, 06:21
Sydney VNC shows a strip at Murrumbateman just south of Yass but its not shown on Canberra VTC. You can see it on Google Earth, looks like a grass private strip. Have no details.

Underdogs strip would be Gundaroo, excellent but just as far as canberra by road.

Victor India
10th Sep 2009, 11:00
Underdog, Bentleg,

Dick Smith has a bitumen strip on his property at Gundaroo. Among other aircraft, he has operated a light corporate jet from it. I'm sure Dick would be happy for the business :}

Come on Dick...

VI

goin'flyin
14th Sep 2009, 05:10
Dick's strip at Gundaroo does look good, but might as well drive from Canberra or Coota from where it is.

No luck so far finding much info on the strip (Hall) near the Hwy, doesn't look too bad on google earth, just need to find out who owns it now.

Thanks for all the responses so far. If anyone else can help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Sep 2009, 05:30
I need to get a client to Yass and would prefer not to have to drive for an hour from Canberra, or Cootamundra

Could take you that long just to get through "Stalag 13" onto the GA apron at Can'tberra!

Dr :8

goin'flyin
14th Sep 2009, 05:50
Could take you that long just to get through "Stalag 13" onto the GA apron at Can'tberra!

Are you saying that from experience FTDK?
And the costs for the privileges :ugh::ugh:

So does that mean you have had your visit to YSSY? Did you manage to find your way around out there?

heres trouble
14th Sep 2009, 06:32
Your looking for an unsealed strip near Y'ass?..

Someone had to say it?:}

try ..
34°52'37.74"S

148°53'36.17"E

It looks like a Private something..:confused:

You might be able to find out who owns (if in fact it is a strip) it through a few phone calls(local police/post office?)..
I checked the google earth measurement and its pretty close to 600M although who knows how accurate that is..

Good luck.

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Sep 2009, 06:58
Are you saying that from experience FTDK?

Yes, I have been to Can'tberra in the Bo a couple of times - most recently in July. It currently has my vote as the most GA unfriendly aerodrome in Australia.

Compared to where, you ask? Townsville, Cairns, Darwin, Mackay, Rockhampton (in second place?), Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberra.

So does that mean you have had your visit to YSSY?

No, that adventure is planned for December!

Dr :8