PDA

View Full Version : 'Tin Triangle' Goose bay

gas path
9th Sep 2009, 17:28
What's the story on the Vulcan 'parked' at Goose Bay? We were going to pop in there the other day but instead went to Gander.

Apologies. I did try the search but it redirected to the XH 558 thread (merged!!) and I didn't fancy trawling thro' that lot.

sooty655
9th Sep 2009, 18:42
This is taken from the thunder-and-lightnings website

Now, the one and only Vulcan preserved in Canada! XL361 ended up there after a serious in-flight malfunction. It would have cost too much to repair her so instead of scrapping her, it was decided to turn the airframe into a gate guard for the RAF Support Unit based at Goose Bay. Soon after it was gifted to the local community of Happy Valley as a mark of the bond between the RAF and the local inhabitants.

The site is always worth a look on Vulcans and lots more!

gas path
9th Sep 2009, 18:55
Ah! Thanks for that I never thought of the 'Thunder and Lightnings' site! If we had gone in there I was going to wander over to take a look:8
Any idea on the 'serious inflight malfunction'?

Double Hydco
9th Sep 2009, 20:15
I think it may have been an in flight fire of some sort?

DH

ZH875
9th Sep 2009, 20:38
"During December 1981 XL361, based at Waddington, was on its way to Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. En route she developed a fault necessitating landing at Goose Bay. During final approach fire warning lights displayed in the cockpit It landed safely and it taxied in to a dispersal pan, accompanied by the emergency services. After shut down it was discovered that there had indeed been a fire in the fuselage which had burnt out a few cable looms which caused a lot of the warning lights in the cockpit. She was actually quite lucky to get down safely.

She sat in the hangar for ages waiting for a decision on her future, and with the Vulcan fleet being scrapped the obvious decision was taken to not spend time and effort trying to repair her. Thus the stricken aircraft was struck off charge." See here (http://studysupport.info/vulcanbomber/goose_bay.htm)