PDA

View Full Version : Air South

EXEK1996
9th Sep 2009, 11:55
Rumour is that they are about to stop RPT (KI) Ops.

I thought that it was quite a good route for the C404

itssallyb
9th Sep 2009, 12:05
Yes they are last flight is 16th October but RPT only

itssallyb
10th Sep 2009, 01:02
The C404 is perfect for KGC

but apparently they have won a recent tender of some sort that will give them s:mad:t loads of cash, so the KGC run doesn't see very attractive anymore

EXEK1996
20th Oct 2009, 07:15
I see that they have stopped RPT.

Are they in trouble?

Barramundi
20th Oct 2009, 12:22
Do not believe so, simply stopped RPT service to Kangaroo Island I recall, can only assume it was not profitable to continue the service.

The Green Goblin
20th Oct 2009, 16:47
I thought they got some mining contracts which committed the aircraft elsewhere and as such the rpt lost out.

Chadzat
20th Oct 2009, 22:17
Was due to a little thing called Regional Express not liking anyone else playing in the sandpit....:ugh:

pc12togo
21st Oct 2009, 11:01
Well, now REX can rip pax of on another route they have on there own. Watch the cost of a trip to the island go up now.

Hiflow
22nd Oct 2009, 06:45
I know where I'd like to stick my bucket and spade. :E

Flying Meat Cleaver
22nd Oct 2009, 09:27
Sorry Chadzat but you cannot blame rex solely for the Airsouth pull-out from Island. Thats a little over the top. With respect i think other factors contributed such as the local community and maybe the product being offered compared with the rex product. Certainly rex probably added to the difficulty on the route with more than likely some form of predatory action but at the same time Airsouth isn't the first to try to contend with Kendall/REX on this route and have failed. It was always going to be difficult unless there was great support from the locals both in terms of residents and tourist businesses.

FMC.

Arthur Boy
22nd Oct 2009, 09:50
FMC, you make interesting statements, most of which are regretably true.

The simple facts are, as pc12togo and Chadzat so eloquently put them.

Market forces were at play here and Rex had the deepest pockets (and, to be fair, superior service) but to bring the other factors such as market support and offer them as to soften the 'Bad Rex' angle is plain BS.

As pc12togo stated, watch the fares go up now. Classic play.

Youre not a Rex flunky perhaps??

Marauder
22nd Oct 2009, 09:52
Bit rude to blame Rex

KI is a little unique, local support is it’s own worst enemy, high volume, low profit, best option is the high yield international market. Problem with that sometimes 90-120 days before the cash flows in.

Rex were blamed for O’Connors demise in part, but interestingly the ADL-WHA fare where they competed were similar to the ADL-PLO (similar distance) no competition. Rex haven’t had significant fare increases to WHA or MTG once it was their sole route.

I think perhaps the suggestion that MK is redeploying his forces where there is guaranteed (Charter) returns, instead of stuffing with RPT is closer to the mark.

Frank Burden
24th Oct 2009, 05:35
Some companies do best by sticking to their knitting and conjoint RPT and charter operations sometimes spreads the yarn too thin.

fritzandsauce
26th Oct 2009, 05:04
What terminal did they use?

Pilotette
26th Oct 2009, 10:25
They operate out of the GA Terminal