PDA

View Full Version : Casa Ppl - Faa Ppl/cpl - Casa Ppl/cpl

brenno
9th Sep 2009, 08:05
Hey there,

First of all, I'm new to the forums, so hello to everyone! I been searching around google for some answers as to how to go about converting to and from casa and FAA licenses. No luck, so I thought I'd join this forum to see if I can find them!

I have a CASA (Australian) PPL/A license, and have completed all 7 casa PPL and CPL subjects and I'm looking to gain my CPL with twin engine C.I.R and eventually casa ATPL subjects and find a job! A mate from Aus is currently in California doing his CPL and highly recommends it, so I'm now considering doing my training full time in the U.S. He says the instructors are great, the flying, weather and lifestyle is excellent and the cost of hiring out aircraft is really quite competitive - flight training here in Australia appears to be quite expensive in comparison. Most of all.. he's having fun!

I have contacted a few California based schools via email for some info and from what I have been told I can convert my casa PPL to FAA PPL with a little bit of paperwork and check-ride for as long as my casa license and medical are valid. I know converting from FAA PPL to casa PPL is air law exam (which I have passed) and check ride from what I have been told. However I have many options.

Option 1:
-Hour build in Australia get 150 hr CPL.
-Convert CASA CPL to FAA CPL
-Go to U.S to do twin C.I.R
-Convert FAA CPL to CASA CPL - IREX exam and check ride.
-CASA ATPL exams

Option 2:
- Convert CASA PPL to FAA PPL
- Hour build in California
- Obtain FAA twin C.I.R.
- Convert FAA PPL with C.I.R. back to CASA PPL with C.I.R. with IREX exam and check ride.
- Sit CASA CPL flight test
-CASA ATPL exams

Option 3:
-Convert to FAA PPL
-Complete FAA PPL to FAA CPL training
- Convert FAA CPL with C.I.R. back to CASA CPL with IREX exam and check ride.
-CASA ATPL exams

In short, my options are either to stay here in Australia and continue my 150 hr casa cpl or I can proceed to the U.S. to do a 200/250 hr course there. Could anyone possibly give me some guidance on which would be the better option? Or if at all my options are even possible? Any info is much appreciated thanks. :)

Brenno

Ozalby
17th Dec 2009, 04:51
Hey Brenno,

What I can tell you from personal experience is this.

I'm pretty much doing your option 2.. I have a CASA PPL. Am currently over in California doing my IR. I was able to get an FAA PPL which is valid when I carry my CASA PPL, so that was easy (just some paperwork)..

Like your mate said, the flying is great in CA. I'm in San Diego - the school is excellent, instructor brilliant and in terms of professionalism, it really does beat anything I've experienced in Aus.. (sorry if you're reading this and are involved with an Aust flying school, but I'm just being honest..) Instrument flying is great here as you have so many options of airports nearby with all types of approaches - even ILS's - also, great experience with high traffic areas..and generally speaking, the planes are newer than many I've flown back home..

BUT... make sure you do ALL your sums.. by the time you add accomodation, car (?)/transport, airfare to get here, comms cost (phone), keeping in touch with back home, exchange rate.... it does start to get closer to what you're paying in oz...

I love flying here as I find I can dedicate myself to the task at hand, without all of lifes other distractions (friend, family etc).. I've been flying twice a day and study every night.. just helps you get things done quicker ... time is money!

I guess in short.. don't think you'll save a heap of money coming to the US .. if you are happy with your school, instructor & training, probably best to stay in OZ.. If it's for other reasons, I can highly recommend San Diego.. great town, excellent flying weather and awesome experiences.

Hope this helps a little