PDA

View Full Version : ATPL ground instructor, are things slowing down?

G_STRING
8th Sep 2009, 15:25
Hello

As everybody is definately aware of, we are in a rather nasty recession, with this industry bearing a lot of the brunt.

All aspirations that I've had, and worked towards have come to nothing, so I'm thinking of trying to get more into the ground side of things.

Does anybody know how you become a ground instructor at ATPL level?

Also, are things slowing down in this area? I've heard flying courses are no longer booked up solid, but how about the ground schools (now and in the future), are their bookings dropping off as well. Does anybody know how CATS, Bristol, Atlantic etc are faring with bookings?

If things are getting bad here, I suppose there's no point in persuing trying to become a ground instructor.

2 questions in one, sorry !

McBruce
9th Sep 2009, 07:23
Going from memory here...

I think to become an ATPL instructor you must have completed the ATPL exams then after that its down to the employer: i.e. you're previous life experience and suitability, wouldn't be too hard if you are good at teaching and understand the material...

In terms of the industry then it all depends on how the airlines do this winter...a good winter will help the recruitment side, a bad one will only make it worse with more guys unemployed but the signs arn't as bad as 1 year ago.

Keith.Williams.
9th Sep 2009, 18:29
All aspirations that I've had, and worked towards have come to nothing, so I'm thinking of trying to get more into the ground side of things.

Does anybody know how you become a ground instructor at ATPL level?

You appear to be saying that you have tried all other possibilities and failed, so now you are prepared to consider being a Ground Instructor.

With that attitude no CGI would give your CV a second glance.

Did you really think that no potential employers would ever read this forum?

I have recently recruited an additional GI at EPTA to cope with increasing student numbers. In doing so I rejected five other very good candidates who actually wanted to do the job.

lasseb
9th Sep 2009, 19:17
There is no formal requirement to be an ATPL ground instructor, but you can be required to give some proof that you know what you are talking about

JAR FCL-1:
THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE INSTRUCTORS
20 Theoretical Knowledge Instructors in licence and ratings examination subjects shall have
appropriate experience in aviation and shall, before appointment, give proof of their competency by giving a test lecture based on material they have developed for the subjects they are to teach.

Jay_solo
17th Sep 2009, 19:16
So what do CGI's look for in an ATPL ground instructor?

And would having a flying instructor rating from other countries be of any help? Like FAA or Transport Canada?

Parson
18th Sep 2009, 11:29
Well purely from a student's perspective, I would want my ground instructor to be (i) doing it because he/she wants to and (ii) have some commercial experience to relate to.

Number (ii) is not essential, but does give extra weight/spice to the lectures. Most ground instructors are ex line/military pilots or navigators and can really teach from experience (Keith W and Alex W are very good examples).

I would certainly not want to be taught by an aspiring pilot who couldn't get a job and can't think of anything else to do.

Jay_solo
18th Sep 2009, 13:00
Experience is a huge plus as with any teaching subject. But I think If you know your stuff and can relay it to a stranger in a practical and engaging way where they actually learn, years of commercial experience will not be necessary. Especially if you really want to teach. Some pilots may loose their medicals and some may just stumble upon the idea of teaching when things dont go to plan, then realise they can teach and want to teach.

Also I have met some young flight instructors (under 25), who knew their stuff and were enthusiastic about teaching in the air and on the ground, despite wanting to one day be an airline pilot. They were just as good as the retired pilots with 10,000+ hours.

pilotbear
18th Sep 2009, 15:53
KW that is a very condescending attitude....or is that just a plug for your school or book.
So, tell us; is it ok to be a non motivated, useless hrs building Flight Instructor when you can't get an airline job then? or do you have to go and work in Tesco?
I work alongside a couple of the most motivated ATPL ground instructors I have ever met, both are qualified as fATPL but realise that increasing their knowledge base will put them ahead eventually. I know many more useless Flight Instructors just building hrs. Sure, they are waiting for a job but doing something constructive.

Teaching anything is the best way of learning:ok:

G STRING, pick 2 to 3 subjects you enjoy and good luck. Future proof yourself.

They don't all sit on thrones mate:ok:

L'aviateur
18th Sep 2009, 16:31
I agree with Keith, and as an employer you want to find an employee who intends to remain with you into the future, not someone who will leave for another job in a year or so. The time and money invested in a new employee is better invested in someone who actually wants to teach and has the skills and experience. Plus with supply and demand ratio in the industry, Keith can be as picky as he wants!

pilotbear
18th Sep 2009, 16:48
yeh, right and there are so many to choose from:ugh:

G string - why not look at doing an aviation degree? you can get credits for your ATPL's. Don't take any notice of people with a negative attitude - it is a European disease.
:ok: