PDA

View Full Version : KD Avia gone?

HeadingSouth
8th Sep 2009, 14:56
Just wanted to book a flight with KD Avia. WebSite says everything OK, whereas booking no longer possible through Sabre.

Went to search and found that: "Russian Authorities decided on September 4th 2009 to cancel the air operator's certificate of KD Avia effectively taking KD Avia out of business. The airline had already ceased operations on Sep 2nd 2009 due to financial trouble"

(From avherald.com)

As their website shows that bookings are not possible but there's no word of ceasing operations on the title page I wonder what's the actual status...

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Oh and mods - please shove to the appropriate forum if I posted in the wrong place. Thanks !

CaptainSandL
8th Sep 2009, 16:01
It is true, another sad loss and yet more 737 crew looking for work:(

KD Avia was the only airline based in Kaliningrad. I wonder who will fill the void, Aeroflot?

This from Aviation week:

Russian carrier KD Avia has been forced to cease all flights because it is unable to finance its operations, as well as service a heavy debt burden.

Earlier last week, the Kaliningrad-based startup airline suspended ticket sales, while the Federal Air Transportation Agency recommended passengers return already-purchased tickets and announced it will revoke the carrier's certificate, effective Sept. 14. However, the airline already has suspended its own flights.

The private airline attempted to create a hub connecting Russian region cities to European destinations through its base Khrabrovo Airport, and has heavily invested in both network and airport development.

KD Avia launched its hub-and-spoke network in 2007, and managed to carry 1.4 million passengers in 2008, operating a fleet of 17 leased Boeing 737-300s.

The slumping economy in combination with sharply increased loan prices pushed KD Avia to seek financial support. At the beginning of the year the airline had to transfer its shares to a St. Petersburg bank after it failed to meet its debt obligations. Later the regional authorities decided to invest 4 billion rubles (US$128 million) in exchange for a 55% stake in the carrier and the airport, but this financial rescue came too late. KD Avia reportedly has accumulated over 12 billion rubles (US$387 million) in debt and today declared its bankruptcy.

The Federal Air Transportation Agency has arranged transportation of KD Avia passenger by several other Russian airlines.

The airline had partnerships with airlines from around the world, including airBaltic, CSA, Egyptair, Eva Airways, JAT, Malev, United and Vietnam Airlines, just to name a few.

gatwicknose
9th Sep 2009, 09:36
Sad but true....23 employees retained to oversee return of aircraft to leasing company and a whole lot of folks out of work..... Understand that their facility is under police supervision and even those 23 staff have not been paid for up to 7 months.... according to someone on the inside...the police will be the only ones there tomorrow if the company doesnt pay the Kaliningrad 23 their back wages in order to close things down.....:D

HeadingSouth
9th Sep 2009, 13:15
Hence I will have to find new measures of travelling to/from Russia.

Utterly sad.

I wish all the former KD Avia staff all the best, always enjoyed flying with you guys and girls !

thebig C
16th Sep 2009, 12:45
Best wishes to all the staff.

This is a strange one. KD Avia came from a standing start to operating 17 B733 in several months. They even placed an order for around 30 a319 last year if I remember correctly.

Was all or this done with borrowed money? And their business model of using the corrupt backwater of Kaliningrad as a staging post for connections to Russia was ridiculous considering the number and frequency of direct flights there already.

C