PDA

View Full Version : Can I log it?

Flygirl_
7th Sep 2009, 17:03
Hello all,

I am Currently doing my CPL and hold current PPL etc (JAR).

I recently flew in an N reg TBM850 right hand seat, does anyone know if there is any way I can log anything?

Many Thanks :8

mad_jock
7th Sep 2009, 17:12
You can log it for you own memorys as supernumery but you can't add the time to any of your totals.

jxc
7th Sep 2009, 17:13
My guess is you CAN'T
unless you have a type rating for that plane
just think of it as good experience

dwshimoda
7th Sep 2009, 17:27
You can't.

It's on an N-reg, and is single pilot. I had the same issue with a King Air.

However, for the few hours you can't log, I should imagine the experience was invaluable - it certainly was for me. It's a pain and a shame, but look upon it as good experience - if you can get more then even better - and a great opportunity. You can list it / talk about it when being interviewed though - I did, and I'm sure it helped.

Good luck with the CPL.

lasseb
9th Sep 2009, 19:25
Does the N-reg really matter ???
I mean, if I take a trip to USA and rent a C172 on an N-reg I certainly can log that time with my JAR license.

But you can only log (1/2) co-pilot time if the plane+operator is 2-pilot approved.

Some smaller twins are both single and 2 pilot approved.

Shunter
9th Sep 2009, 19:32
if I take a trip to USA and rent a C172 on an N-reg I certainly can log that time with my JAR licenseNo you can't. To fly an N-reg in the USA the very least you need to do is apply for an FAA license based on your JAA license.

Nashers
10th Sep 2009, 01:51
shunter is right. to fly in the US of A you will need to first apply for your FAA licence.

any flying you do there can be put into your log book as you have flown it. however if you fly as safty pilot in a single pilot aircraft, that time is only valid in your FAA log book, not in you JAA one.

some people tend to have two log books, one for JAA and one for FAA. one person i know only uses his FAA logbook for safty pilot flying in the US. all left hand seat flying he does goes into his JAA logbook as that time is valid back here.

lasseb
10th Sep 2009, 05:55
How do people actually get a JAA license and/or rating in USA flying in a N-reg plane if they are not able to log the flying time??

Where in the JAR documents is it stated that you cannot log flying time on an N-reg plane?

mad_jock
10th Sep 2009, 06:20
There is nothing persay wrong with logging time in N reg aircraft.

But to fly in the US and to be able to log the time as JAR time you have to satisfy both systems. So to conform with the FAA system you have to apply for and obtain a FAA PPL be it linked to your JAR license or stand alone FAA license.

So without a FAA license you could log dual with an instructor or solo under their supervision but I don't know how that side of things works under the FAA system. It would get confusing with medicals etc.

There are no light singles or MEP's under 5700kg which under the JAR system you can log co-pilot time. Co-pilot is exclusively an issue to do with multi-crew ops and although it is possible to log co-pilot time in single pilot aircraft it is only ever done inside a commercial organisation. Who have to jump through hoops with the CAA and have to have SOP's etc setup for such operations. I have never heard of it done with MEP's.

lasseb
10th Sep 2009, 21:20
Ok, then I understand your reply.
My point is that there is nothing in the JAR regulation that states you cannot log flying time in an N-reg plane.

There is a problem flying as PIC in USA without an FAA license, but that's actually a USA problem and not an N-reg problem.

I know many people who flies N-reg planes in Europe on a solely a JAR license.

Under FAA rules you can log "safety pilot" hours. Under JAA rules the plane must be 2-pilot approved to log co-pilot hours.

It is not true that small planes cannot be 2-pilot approved. I know of a P68-Partenavia and a C421-Golden Eagle that's 2-pilot approved. It has nothing to do with weight. You can get a C172 2-pilot OPS approved if you want to.

The interesting question though is if you can log Co-pilot time on an N-reg, in USA, without an FAA license. Since you are not PIC FAA should be happy, but I'm not certain about this.