PDA

View Full Version : Loading CD Programs onto a Netbook?

mcdhu
7th Sep 2009, 11:34
Apart from buying a standalone CD Drive, is there any other simple way of putting a program, such as MS Office on CD, onto a netbook without it's own CD drive - via a laptop perhaps?

Cheers,
mcdhu

Sprogget
7th Sep 2009, 11:39
Usb stick?

Mornington Crescent
7th Sep 2009, 11:40
Copy all the files from your Office CD onto a USB memory stick and install to your netbook from there.

You need to ensure that you have show hidden files set befor copying.

MC

Sorry Sprogett we crossed!

mcdhu
7th Sep 2009, 12:04
Aha, I see! But where is 'Show hidden files' to be found?

Many thanks to you both.

mcdhu

Sprogget
7th Sep 2009, 12:11
Windows? In explorer (my computer) Click tools/folder options/view/show hidden files & folders.

Be careful to copy & not cut - hidden files are hidden for good reason!

mcdhu
7th Sep 2009, 12:55
Ok, I've had a look on the CD - there are about 105 folders/files on it. Do I have to copy each one across individually or is there a quicker way?

Cheers
mcdhu

Saab Dastard
7th Sep 2009, 13:27
Attach both netbook and laptop/desktop to network.

Share CD drive on laptop/desktop.

Map drive on netbook to CD drive on laptop/desktop.

Install from network drive.

SD

ORAC
7th Sep 2009, 13:32
Ok, I've had a look on the CD - there are about 105 folders/files on it. Do I have to copy each one across individually or is there a quicker way? 1. Click on window where you see the files to make the live window.

2. Select "Edit- Select All" from the menu bar.
3. Select "Edit - Copy"
4. Select the USB drive to make it the live window.
5. Select "Edit - Paste" from the menu bar.
6. Wait while it copies the files across.

west lakes
7th Sep 2009, 13:43
On a slightly related note, I recently tried to copy a CD programme onto an Acer netbook from an external CD drive (we have two at work!) got the error mesage that the screen resolution was too low.
It's set to 1024x768 (as is my desk top & this laptop I am using) and is it's maximum setting
Any thoughts?

Sprogget
7th Sep 2009, 14:19
Reset it lower & see how you go.

Also on a related note, the desktop that I rebuilt last week with a new motherboard came with a drivers & utilities disk. It was a dvd & not a cd. so I had to take it into someone elses office & ask nicely to copy the files onto a hard drive & them copy them back onto my old new pc.

I mean could they have made it any harder for me?:ugh:

ORAC
7th Sep 2009, 14:32
I mean could they have made it any harder for me? Oh yeah, they could have come on a floppy.

I haven't had a floppy drive installed in a machine for several years now. Used to have a USB external floppy drive somewhere, no idea where it is now.

Just waiting for some smarta*se to issue an application on a Blu-Ray disk.... :suspect:

ORAC
7th Sep 2009, 14:35
Any thoughts? Probably an issue with the autoexec on the disk. Open the disk using "browse" instead and install manually from the application exe files instead.

mcdhu
7th Sep 2009, 15:16
Anyway, prog now happily languishing on the memory stick - thanks everybody. All I need now is some time to go buy the netbook! Next day off - Sunday!!

Cheers
mcdhu

Mornington Crescent
7th Sep 2009, 16:14
Good luck with your choice of netbook.

FWIW I had an Asus 900 solid state drive and it was too slow for me.

Now have a Tosh nb200-10z which has a normal hard drive and its great.

mcdhu
7th Sep 2009, 18:57
Thinking about Samsung N110 which is the replacement for the NC10 and gets rave reviews (caution) - especially on batt life.

Cheers
mcdhu

bnt
7th Sep 2009, 18:58
FWIW I had an Asus 900 solid state drive and it was too slow for me.

Now have a Tosh nb200-10z which has a normal hard drive and its great.
Too slow for Windows, actually, which does all sorts of extraneous disk access as it works. I have the 1000 model, with similar spec SSDs, and it's much happier with Linux. (Ubuntu Netbook Remix in this case, but there are others.) In this case I can see why the OP would want a standard HDD.

mcdhu
13th Sep 2009, 19:47
All worked an absolute treat - thank you everyone.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Squealing Pig
15th Sep 2009, 16:06
How about:-

Create an .ISO image file from the MS office CD. Nero and most CD authering programs can do this then put this image on a memory stick.

Download and install a CD emulator like this one
Disc-Tools.com - Published Software Download (http://www.disc-tools.com/request?p=de8d329e31fe41cd1a4035e9a694e29b/daemon4304-lite.exe)

Load/mount the image into the emulator program and hey presto your netbook now thinks it has a real CD drive with MS office CD in it and can be installed normally