PDA

View Full Version : CATS IR theory courses

Sullivan32
7th Sep 2009, 11:33
I'm after an IR and understand that I must do 7 written exams. My question is how long might this realistically take at a school like CATS for example?

Also how easy is it to get my own aircraft approved for training in
Can I do my test in it as well or just the training?

Thanks for any advice

Shunter
7th Sep 2009, 12:06
If you can throw a reasonable chunk of time at study each week the 7 exams can be knocked out in about 3 to 4 months with relative comfort. The exams are held every 2 months for the IR, and only at Gatwick.

You can train in your aircraft providing all the paperwork is in order, and obviously providing it's airways legal. It's fairly easy to get the aircraft approved for test. Here's the standards document for test approval: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_fcl_07_A.pdf

BoeingMEL
7th Sep 2009, 12:30
...good luck with your IR studies. You probably know this already but I'll make the points anyway! The most important things are (IMHO):

1: Personal discipline... set out your timetable and stick to it rigidly.. BUT take rest-breaks to clear your head whenever you need to.

2: Make sure you have a calm learning environment.... and make sure that everyone else under your roof co-operates.

3: Carefully note all of the points/issues which you don't fully understand... and seek answers and clarification from your training-material provider whenever you need to.

4: Learn all the stuff well and don't rely too heavily on confusers or questions previously asked... the CAA are wise enough to update the exam papers with new questions quite frequently.

Hope this helps, it seems like 200 years since I did mine..but it's only 30.. but the same principles still apply! Cheers bm

MIKECR
7th Sep 2009, 19:32
Might be worth posting this one in the private flying forum and perhaps on flyer forum as well. I seem to remember a number of people there sharing their experiences of doing the IR theory(7 exams) as well as using their own aircraft for training.

Sullivan32
15th Sep 2009, 08:17
I have joined CATS and am now on the first stage of it all. It doesn't seem to bad in terms of workload. Your comments matched what they advised me so I guess you have all been through it already. Good to hear things confirmed by others though.

Thanks again for the pointers