PDA

View Full Version : RT phraseology for parallel runways

Oktas8
5th Sep 2009, 04:04
Hi all,

In Australia, what phraseology do ATC use for giving clearances to approach or to land when simultaneous parallel operations are in progress?

For example - do ATC specifically mention the parallel traffic ("number 1 for 31L, parallel traffic on 31R"), or code the ATIS to warn pilots of simultaneous parallel ops, or just leave it up to pilots' situational awareness to know about the parallel traffic?

I hope it's obvious that I'm talking about controlled airfields that attract light VFR traffic.

Thanks very much,
O8

tmpffisch
5th Sep 2009, 04:10
At GAAPs (light VFR as you mentioned), it's left up to the pilot's SA.

Sydney Intl operates parallel there are specific ops listed in DAPS I think on breakout procedures etc. Airservices Australia - Projects & Services - Projects & Initiatives - Precision Runway Monitor (http://www.airservices.gov.au/projectsservices/projects/prm/pilotsguide.asp)

Ultralights
5th Sep 2009, 05:27
YSBK tower will notify you of traffic on parrellel runways if 2 or more aircraft are on base leg.

Dragun
5th Sep 2009, 05:48
It's a lot to do with the distance between the two parallel runways

Oktas8
5th Sep 2009, 06:24
Thanks very much guys. Dragun - I'm thinking of runways that are not fully "separated" in the ATC meaning of the term. So lighties can do simultaneous parallel ops but RPT would not be allowed to.

Ultralights - would you please comment on the specific phraseology used at Bankstown? I'd like to know what words they use.

My interest stems from recent changes in this part of the world where (light aircraft only) simultaneous parallel ops procedures are being developed.

Thanks,
O8

SayAgainSlowly
5th Sep 2009, 07:23
YSBK tower will notify you of traffic on parrellel runways if 2 or more aircraft are on base leg.

Not really.

The 2 outer runways (29R/11L and 29L/11R) can operate simultaneous parallel ops all day long without traffic being passed to anyone. It is only required to be given when adjacent runways are in use (29C/11C and one of the outer decks). This is because the runway centrelines are not sufficiently spaced.
Nor can 2 aircraft turn final abeam each other for adjacent runways. This was a recommendation from the investigation to the mid-air in 2002(ish). Its also why sometimes you get centre if you ask for it, and sometimes you dont.

Whether there is one on base, two on base, 3 on final (as there quite often is) it doesnt matter, it is required and given when adjacent runways are used - the aircrafts position in the circuit isnt the deciding factor, more if the 2 aircraft sequenced to adjacent runways may come into conflict, or if either will need to adjust their flight path.

Awol57
5th Sep 2009, 15:58
The ATIS would also generally give you a frequency relating to a certain runway. The ATC generally wouldn't be doing both runways on one frequency. If they are then they should be specifiying the runway for each transmission.

You also won't get traffic on aircraft operating on the other runway unless one of you drifts too close, then we get excited.

Oktas8
7th Sep 2009, 10:44
Thanks very much everyone, your info and references are just what I needed.

Cheers,
O8

Ultralights
7th Sep 2009, 10:57
example when inbound t YSBk from Prospect using runway 29L C and R

after reporting inbound tower will direct you to join downwind 29R.
when downwind you report "ABC Downwind 29R" . tower will advise Number 2 behind a cessna turning base, or "ABC Number 1" , at this point you can request runway Centre if desired/or required. if your in something turbine powered or IFR, you will usually be given Runway C after reporting inbound.

as said before, if there is traffic on runway Left and your for runway Right, then tower wont notify you, but if your turning base, Midbase or thereabouts, Tower will notify you of traffic on approach to Runway Centre

call from tower will usually be, on mid base, "ABC, Cleared to land runway Right, traffic is a Duchess for Runway Centre"

as for the ATIS, usual is "bla bla bla Runway 29 R for arrivals and departures freq 132.8, Runway 29L for circuit training freq 123.6 , Runway Centre active... winds Bla bla ....."