PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moths

VGOIII
4th Sep 2009, 15:58
Hi Guys

Was reffered to this section by a trusty Ppruner to ask this question. I'm currently in the UK and have a craving to fly Tiger Moths for 3 months in the warm season. That season is finished over here, and it didn't materialse.

What I would really like to do, is come to Austrailia or New Zealand for 3 months on a back packers visa, get a temporary foreign license validation, and do some flying for one of those companies that give joy rides / trial lessons in Tiger Moths for the love of it, rather than for a job.

I know there is no shortage out there for Tiger Moth pilots, so I'm not trying to find a full time job. But a small handful of flights here and there would be great.

I've googled, and I've sent emails. Some have responded with thanks but no thanks, most haven't responded at all. Does anyone know of a company that would be able to make use of me?

waren9
5th Sep 2009, 00:52
As soon as your passenger is paying for it, its a commercial operation, with all the attendant requirements that go with that. Getting you legal will likely go in the too hard/too expensive basket, and will take longer than you are out here for.

The rest of them will be privately owned. And we all know how likely it is someone will lend their pride and joy to a complete stranger.

Good luck.

M14_P
5th Sep 2009, 06:30
I know the owners of the two south island operators quite well, and will be doing some casual flying for both over the summer - very small part of the industry I would guess. You would have more chances in Australia I think.
There are alot of them based up and down the East coast. One example operates out of The Goldcoast doing rides I think?

Alex 009
5th Sep 2009, 08:31
Two tigers based on the Gold Coast and one more based up the road on the Sunshine Cost. PM me for more details if you would like.

Jasta 10
5th Sep 2009, 17:53
There's a Tiger Moth used for joy-rides based at Camden, NSW just outside Sydney. I saw it about a month ago so it should still be there. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the operator but he also had warbirds. Google, or a phone call to the airport authority should give you the answer.

VGOIII
5th Sep 2009, 22:28
Waren, I'm sorry I should have mentioned. I have an FAA CPL which I've found that I can convert without too many difficulties, and a JAA Instructor Rating which I can also convert. I was never implying I wanted to work for free. But I'm aware of the fact there is no shortage of pilots, and therefore rather than ask for a job. Just a small hand full of the customer joy rides here and there would be great (paid ofcourse) to not make any enemies working for free.

Rest of you guys, many thanks for pointing out those companies. Goldcoast I've contacted, but had no response as yet. Others I will google, and Alex I'll PM you.

Goat Whisperer
5th Sep 2009, 23:21
If by backpacker visa you are young enough to be eligible for a Working Holiday visa and you can get a CPL then the legals are all sorted, it's just the opportunity you seek.

There were a couple of Tigers I played with at Geelong, just outside Melbourne.

VGOIII
5th Sep 2009, 23:41
That's correct GW, I am eligible for the working holiday visa still, and I can convert or get temporary foreign CPL validation. The legals are taken care of. It really is just the opportunity I seek.

Every email I've sent to every email address at Geelong keeps bouncing back. I will give them a call on the good old fashion telephone.

Thanks for that GW.

djpil
6th Sep 2009, 07:41
Peter Bini at Moorabbin (http://www.biniflighttraining.com.au/pages/default.asp)- doesn't seem to do a lot of work although the sign is generally out the front for Tiger flights.

M14_P
7th Sep 2009, 04:43
Guys, out of interest, what are the Australian DH82 operators charging for your standard 15-20min flight?

VGOIII
8th Sep 2009, 00:28
Thanks for that one, have sent an email to ask the question.

tinpis
10th Sep 2009, 20:45
Is the Darwhine Tiger used for joyflights?

CHAIRMAN
11th Sep 2009, 10:42
Try Antique Airways based at Redcliffe Queensland. They have a web site and you should be able to contact them through that.:ok:

VGOIII
16th Sep 2009, 15:09
Thankyou for that Mr Chairman, I sent them an email at Antique. Very immediate and short response saying don't need pilots. Maybe I'm going about this wrong. Think I perhaps need to go over there anyway as a back packer, and expore these places personally and make myself known, and choose someone where there might be an opportunity opening in the up and coming busy season, to do some Tiger training and get up to speed and current with them. Then take it from there.

tinpis
16th Sep 2009, 20:33
Big Jimmy Edwards moustache and a 'Right-ho chaps' pommie accent would be an asset