PDA

View Full Version : Best Sunglasses

TMPilot
4th Sep 2009, 14:09
Hi,
I was just wondering which sunglasses you guys wear?
Mine are a little bad for flying and cause a little discomfort with the headset.

I'm looking to spend up to £100ish. I was thinking maybe the V:One Magneto's.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

On a different note, I wish these winds would calm down! 30kts plus are keeping me grounded! :ugh:

Lew747
4th Sep 2009, 14:56
Mine are Oakley Minute 2.0's. Black with Black Iridium lenses. They look smart on me and are really designed for people with smaller faces like myself. I've yet to use them for a long flight with a headset though! Very comfortable and cost £99.99 from Oakley themselves... thought I would treat myself for my birthday! :}

TMPilot
4th Sep 2009, 15:36
Thanks.
I've heard a lot of good things about Oakley. The flat side frame seems particularly useful as thin frames start to dig in after a while. I think I might just go for some Oakleys. Maybe the sun won't affect me so much having aero fun! Bring on the Extra!

trex450
4th Sep 2009, 15:39
you can't beat the thin sided ray bans for comfort under a headset

TMPilot
4th Sep 2009, 15:53
I haven't tried them to be honest. Whichever I get they need to have a good rap-around.

Captain Stable
4th Sep 2009, 15:56
I concur with trex450.

I've tried various ones - some issued to me, some bought.

Nothing has so far beaten Rayban Aviators. :ok:

1800ed
4th Sep 2009, 16:24
I have to agree on the Aviators. I used to wear various different types of Oakley sunglasses, but the arms were quite thick which tended to get uncomfortable. My only complaint about the Aviators is they feel quite heavy, but it's only a real problem after a few hours of wearing them.

Phoenix09
4th Sep 2009, 17:04
I have tried a lot of different sunglasses over the years, including Raybans and Oakleys and nothing has come close to the V One. The comfort and clarity is excellent.

jaycee58
4th Sep 2009, 21:28
I tried a pair of V-One's at AeroExpo back in June and they went straight onto my "I want a pair of those" list! I couldn't believe how good they were. Sadly, needing a varifocal prescription means that they're going to cost me over £300 :hmm:

cjd_a320
4th Sep 2009, 21:44
Randolph ;)

Aviator (http://www.randolphusastore.com/aviator.html)

Talkdownman
4th Sep 2009, 22:18
Mil pattern Type G

Runaway Gun
6th Sep 2009, 16:14
The new RAY BAN Tech series are made of carbon fibre, and much much lighter and stronger, also available in non-polarised lenses. Could be worth a look.

I do not own the Ray Ban company :ok:

Sierra Hotel
6th Sep 2009, 17:25
Mile High Chocks. 4 sets of lenses ( Dark Grey, Grey, Red, Yellow)
Use red all the time though. Very comfortable and highly reccomend!

Captain Stable
6th Sep 2009, 17:50
I do not own the Ray Ban company http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifI wish I did! :cool:

shortstripper
6th Sep 2009, 19:02
I have a pair of brown lens Randolph sunglasses that I've used for years. However, the best I've ever tried (and keep meaning to get some) are Sun Tigers .... Brilliant!!!

SS

Sir Niall Dementia
7th Sep 2009, 09:18
Serrengetis for me. I bought my first pair 2 years ago and now have a pair in the car, one in the aeroplane, a pair in my nav-bag and a prescription pair as my spare pair as required by my medical.

All of our pilots receive an issue pair of sunglasses every two years and we have gone from Ray-Bans to Serrengeti, make sure you have the non-polarised version, EFIS screens go black when viewed through polarised specs, and most heavy aircraft have polarised screens which can make the outside world go black. (don't think that counts for night hours though)

SND

Miles Magister
7th Sep 2009, 16:53
I use Serrengetis as well but I would like to emphasise the comment about making sure they are NOT polarised.

What SND said about the screens is also repeated for airborne contacts. If the light reaching you from the other contact happens to be polarised in the wrong direction, then polarised glasses will block it out and you will not see it straight away. Think of wing flash from gliders or other small aircraft which will get cut out by polarised glasses.

Also polarised glasses cut out other reflected light which can reduce or remove your depth perception, particularly on wet or damp runways.

Make sure you only fly with non-polarised gleasses.

MM

Lancelot37
7th Sep 2009, 17:16
My current sun glasses cost $6 in Australia. Thought I was being ripped off later as I saw them for $5.50 elsewhere.

sandbagsteve
7th Sep 2009, 22:34
I'm about to buy my first set of shades for flying... I need prescription lenses so I know it ain't going to be cheap.

Which colour lenses are the best (I feel a debate coming on)?

I understand polarised is a bad idea for many reasons, but I assume antiscratch, uv filter, and anti reflective/glare is good?

Steve