PDA

View Full Version : Needs some advice of a dream of mine

FrontLights
4th Sep 2009, 07:42
Hey guys,

I kinda of feel that I am stuck in a bit of a hole and this goal of mine is unachieveable both financially and physically/mentally.

I am currently a baby faced flying Instructor working in Australia, originally from the UK so have an EU password (for working rights etc...), but have dreams of working for BA/BMI. Working in Aus I have an ICAO license and I know I will have to get an JAA license, thing is working full-time I don't think I would have the time to study for all 14 exams and the time-off/money to go over to WA to take these exams. I think it would be a good idea to get these exams done now in the down-turn in preperation.

Next problem is I would still have to do 5 hours flying to get CPL(A) equivalent, JAA Medical, MECIR (15 hours flying) and an MCC credit. Which im guessing would cost 10,000 pounds+... or something around that mark.

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated on how I could achieve this goal of mine. :*

wobble2plank
4th Sep 2009, 08:43
Start saving.

Convert your EU password into a passport, far more useful for travelling.

If you are a flying instructor, as you say, then hour building should not be a problem surely? I don't know the situation in Australia but in the EU you need a CPL(A) to be a full time instructor earning revenue anyway. Twin hours can be obtained and converted so try and find someone who will let you fly a twin. Check LASORS for the conversion details (downloadable in PDF format) and if that is still confusing ring the Cash Again and Again (CAA) and ask. Send them details of your log book and they can advise you, probably for a fee though.

Nobody can advise you on how, when or why to do the exams. Only you know your personal situation well enough to decide that and decisions are what you'll be paid to make if you catch your dream.

As for BMI/BA, well BA are looking at pilot redundancies at the moment and have just drained the pool and let the swimmers go so I wouldn't expect any recruitment there for a few years at least! BMI are stuck in the middle of an asset argument at the moment with the possibility of being sold to the highest bidder. They are over manned seniority wise and promotion/recruitment is stagnant.

So, you have plenty of time. Chill out, light the barby and crack a tube.

:}

FrontLights
4th Sep 2009, 10:31
Cheers mate thanks for the kind reply, will definitely try and convert that password (who do I have to pay for that and how many exams?!).

Yea it's just hours as required to get to the standard to take the JAA CPL(A) test. Then IR and MCC in UK.

Soo much coin! wish it was mutually recognized or am I just a dreamer..?

smith
4th Sep 2009, 12:11
Your just a dreamer mate