PDA

View Full Version : Merged: New Pilots Award Released

notmyC150v2
4th Sep 2009, 06:10
Hi folks.

The new Award for Pilots has been released by the AIRC. You can find it here: Modern awards (http://www.airc.gov.au/awardmod/fullbench/awards.htm)

The implementation of this Award got quite complicated the other day. So if you are desperate to find out exactly when this will operate from and how, pm me.

GAFA
4th Sep 2009, 06:49
You would have thought they would have updated the aircraft types. Not many DC3 operating RPT these days, The Mohawks (only 4 ever operated in Australia) are reefs of QLD or in musems and what is a F100B?
Types that should be added are the Dornier 228 and 328 and E-jets.

MagicalLeoplurodon
4th Sep 2009, 07:03
Why didn't they take the opportunity to use the creating of a modern award to get rid of ambiguity - take for example:

Breaks
No pilot will be required to be on duty for a period in excess of five hours without a 30 minute break free of duty for a meal.
The provision of clause 26.1 will not apply where the pilot is reimbursed in full the reasonable cost of a meal or in the alternative is provided with a meal of an acceptable standard.

So when pilot is in the boondocks on a long charter or mail run - they are supposed to walk in to a community or town - buy/wait for a meal, get the reciept, return it to their accounts department then request to be reimbursed that cost?

I know it says be provided a meal 'OR' be reimbursed - however:

- If you walk in to town to get your meal - you've had half an hour off therefore it is not applicable (unscrupulous operators will continue to prey on this)
- If there are no shops available to buy a meal, or the walk is too long (unscrupulous operators will continue to prey on this - and say well you could have walked in to town and we would have reimbursed you which is why we didn't provide a meal)

There have been many complaints about this allowance's ambiguity (among others).

Wouldn't it have been simple enough to add "26.3" and "26.4".....?

Where 26.1 and 26.2 are not practical (or the operations department can't be bothered ordering a lunch for the pilot) - the pilot shall be paid $15.00 (or what ever amount) to pack their own lunch and eat in enroute (if their autopilot is working).

Where 26.1 and 26.2 don't apply and the pilot does not have a serviceable autopilot - the pilot shall be rewarded $25.00 for having to go without tucker for an excessive period.

Yes 26.4 is taking the piss.

Some will say - pack your own lunch.

I say - go and further degrade the working conditions in a third world country.

Xcel
4th Sep 2009, 15:46
So just to clarify

a whopping
$25 pay rise for the lighties
$26 pay rise for majority single charter guys
$23 pay rise for light twin drivers

Honestly who the freak works this ****e out...:yuk:

previous increase was $1126 according to afap and now we barely scrape $25 together awesome...

what will be 2 years of inflation at 3% effectively means our pay went backwards ... :ugh:

so the dude unloading your freight at the terminal effectively now earns $25 per week more than us as they went up the full rate as opposed to the ****e we put up with...

gee I hope I added that up wrong someone pease correct me before I have a breakdown...

end rant :}

Mail-man
4th Sep 2009, 15:55
someone unloads your freight for you?

wow

Wally Mk2
5th Sep 2009, 00:01
I've just read the new award pay scales, I'm almost embarrassed to say I belong to an industry within Australia that treats by way of poor wages & lousy T&C's it's workers as second class.Pilots are virtually no longer respected for their profession.
I feel very sad for the young one still out there keen enough to want to be a professional pilot.
You will never take the 'pilot' out of someone whom has a love for same but the 'profession' has been removed (or perhaps it was never really there anyway) & for that I think that the employers will regret this in the future as we slowly loose what was once a great career path for the dedicated young aviators.

Those who love the art of flying will never be broken, you can take away their rights, you can take away their future but you will NEVER take away their freedom to fly:ok:!

Wmk2

FRQ Charlie Bravo
5th Sep 2009, 00:55
you will NEVER take away their freedom to fly

Don't tempt them; the Authority will find a way.

What a farce of a career; the only saving grace (and what keeps most of us in) is the view from the office really.

To quote the Moody Blues:

Face miles
and miles
of trials
with smiles;
for it riles
them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave

~FRQ CB

Xcel
5th Sep 2009, 12:26
Just saw this on yahoo... some industries taking legal action and exploring avenues of dispute over new awards. what is afap etc doing?

New awards 'beyond a joke'

Saturday September 5, 2009, 7:22 am

The Australian Industrial Relations Commission has published its latest batch of new awards covering 39 industries and occupations.

Earlier this week the commission warned that it could not meet the Government's request that neither workers nor bosses would be worse off due to the process.

The commission has released a new batch of award covering 39 industries and occupations and some unions already say the ruling will hurt their membership.

Linda White from the Australian Services Union was shocked by the new award covering those in the airline industry, such as ground and retail staff.

"It is beyond belief and we are extremely concerned," she said.

"It is not a joke, that's for sure. In the airline industry, we've seen existing federal awards slashed so dramatically that it's hard to believe that it's true."

The award modernisation process is the last function of the Australian Industrial Relations Commission; when this job is finished it, will cease to exist.

The Federal Government has asked the Commission to review more than 2,500 state and federal awards, and whittle them down to just 130.

The Government asked the commission to modernise awards without disadvantaging workers or bosses.

Workplace Relations Minister Julia Gillard previously guaranteed workers would not be disadvantaged.

But on Thursday, Mr Rudd stopped short of a guarantee, saying the aim was just an objective.

The language changed following a warning from the commission on Wednesday that it was an impossible request to meet.

The commission repeated the warning on Friday, and Ms White says that is no wonder.

"We've seen wages at the top end reduced by $300 a week, at lower ends between $50 and $60 a week," she said.

"We've seen long-held allowances that take into account the shift work that people at airports perform gone.

"It's as though a typo has been there but it's beyond a joke. Things that have been long held conditions in the industry with the stroke of a pen are gone."

And she says the rulings states nothing about travel agents.

"As far as I can see, as far as the Australian Industrial Relations Commission is concerned, the travel industry has disappeared into the ether and that is just wholly unacceptable," she said.

Ms White does not blame the Federal Government for the ruling.

"The commission bears the sole responsibility for this," she said.

"They have fallen hook, line and sinker for the employers' submissions in relation to how the industry operates and I can say when the day of reckoning, if this modern award continues, the day of reckoning will see people lose from their bottom line a range of award conditions and a range of rates of pay.

"It is no laughing matter. And the commission, clearly in my view, has misunderstood what their job is."

Legal action
Ms White says the Australian Services Union is considering legal action.

So is the Australian Workers Union, says spokesman Paul Howes.

"We'll be talking with our lawyers over the next day or so," he said.

He says most of his members have managed to maintain their current pay and conditions.

But Mr Howes says there are notable exceptions. He says workers in cemeteries, the seafood processing and off shore oil industries are worse off.

"So casual workers in the offshore oil and gas industry normally get 225 per cent of the normal rate of pay," he said.

"After the commission's decision today they'll only get 125 per cent of the normal rate of pay which represents between a 50 and 75 per cent drop in pay for casual workers in the offshore oil and gas industry.

"Now that upsets almost two decades of industrial standard practice in the offshore oil and gas industry and I can't understand how the commission could accept any arguments that any oil company at the moment is unable to pay the existing rates of pay that have existed for many, many years."

And Mr Howes says if it cannot be resolved he cannot rule out industrial action.

"I'm sure that my members aren't going to accept that, and if we don't have drastic action to ensure that the status quo prevails then we can't guarantee industrial peace in that industry."

'Guarantee pay order'
A spokeswoman for Ms Gillard says workers who are disadvantaged by the process can apply to Fair Work Australia for a "guarantee pay order" to ensure they are not worse off.

The opposition's workplace relations spokesman Michael Keenan says it is not a good start at all.

"If the Government's saying that you can take legal action to remedy the situation if you're disadvantaged by these modern awards then I don't that's a great start for the new systems that's supposed to come into effect from the first of January next year," he said.

"The fact that 'yes you will be disadvantaged but you actually can take legal action to prevent that', that's an incredibly complicated and clumsy way, that might be right for some unions to go and do that, but what about an individual?

"I don't think that workers who are facing this decrease in their entitlements are going to be particularly pleased about that or see the fact that they can take legal action as being much solace."

Key peak union and employer groups were unwilling to talk this afternoon about today's revamped awards saying they needed more time to consider the findings.

I thought labour was meant to be pro union and better conditions for employees... guess im voting liberal again next election if this is the ****e they are letting go ahead.. between this and the vic governments decision to also scrap what rfds guys had worked hard for is ridiculous...

*soapbox collapses*

glekichi
5th Sep 2009, 12:53
The GA award is more or less unchanged.

I really don't understand why loading a little freight is $85ish a shift, while working the back of the clock is only $10ish a night.
I do both, and without a doubt I would rather load freight in the day than fly empty or with SLF at 3am.
It makes no sense at all.

Hopefully, at least, the award becoming a nationwide regulation will entice more employers to comply.

Xcel
5th Sep 2009, 13:02
Hopefully, at least, the award becoming a nationwide regulation will entice more employers to comply.

granted it will give people more avenues to follow regarding employers non-compliance to the award...

ElPerro
5th Sep 2009, 14:58
you can take away their future but you will NEVER take away their freedom to fly!

That's it. Free to Choose. (http://www.ideachannel.com/Friedman.htm) You are free to look at the award and choose whether to take that career choice.

I don't agree with the award though.

busdriver007
6th Sep 2009, 01:52
A lot of pilots are overpaid.....obviously....:eek

http://www.airc.gov.au/awardmod/awards/pilots.pdf

rescue 1
6th Sep 2009, 04:52
There must be a monumental blunder in this agreement...

A turbo jet pilot (I assume B737 or A320) gets an additional 1280% over the minimum salary.

Goat Whisperer
6th Sep 2009, 05:18
rescue 1, it's not well worded, but it means 1280% OF a weekly rate per year (mentioned earlier as a standard rate, 1/52 of annual salary), so about $26,000.

Very interesting document. Will take me a while to digest it.

breakfastburrito
6th Sep 2009, 06:58
Standard rate = UTBN1 1360Kg rate/52 =$33,172/52=$637.94
The way I see it is a RPT turbo jet Captain gets the award rate, plus: Turbo Jet = 1280% of Standard Rate
ATPL= 604% of Standard Rate
IFR = 732% of Standard Rate
=(2616%/100)*$627.94
= $6,480.52

capt_akun
6th Sep 2009, 08:36
I feel the new award is a joke to fellow pilots and the industry. Just skimming through the award, I notice the bottom of the barrel, "Single engine UTBNI 1360 kg" gets an almighty $33,173 a year. You get paid more then that working as a full time employee at the local pizza shop!

I would have hope that AFAP would have taken this opportunity to help the industry and it's members in achieving a more descent pay for a what we believe to be a "professional" career.

Is AFAP a pilot's union? or are they just an employer ass kissers? :ugh:

rmcdonal
6th Sep 2009, 10:26
Retail Employee Level 8 $740.00 PW
$740 X 52 = $38,480

Single engine UTBNI 1360 kg $33,173
Multi engine UTBNI 3360 kg $38,848

So if you drive a Baron/ C310 etc you make just a bit more then the lady who swipes your shopping at Coles.
If you drive a 210/172/P28A etc you make less so you should possibly work at coles and sell stuff to the Baron pilots.

But if you work in retail you get A penalty payment of an additional 25% will apply for ordinary hours worked after 6.00 pm. and the same for all day Sat, and 100% for Sundays.

notmyC150v2
7th Sep 2009, 02:11
I wouldn't blame the AFAP too much for this document. The whole process has been very difficult from all sides.

Although we all put in submissions (although I took no part in this particular Award I certainly did in others) there was no evidence or other material that could be relied upon. At the end of it there was just one word against another and the Commission decided (in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:) what was best for all.

The test was never about what was best for the industry or the employees in that industry, but what was a "fair minimum standard" for all employees in the country and then making all awards fit that standard.

It was a process that was doomed from the start and now the whole country will end up paying for it.:(

The Green Goblin
7th Sep 2009, 07:14
Remember the award is the Minimum

You pay peanuts? You get monkeys!

If you want to retain good people who will look after your equipment and your customers, you will pay more than the award and subsequently will retain good operators.

The Green Goblin
7th Sep 2009, 07:33
There are good ones out there, just don't be fooled by the 'big' GA charter operators.

I know of guys earning 65k to drive a Baron, 75k to drive cabin twins!

It's a pay cut to go to a turboprop until you get a command thats for sure!

ElPerro
7th Sep 2009, 08:57
You know as well as I do that they'll continue to pay the absolute minimum and nothing more...

Meaning the award is too high.

shoppingcart
10th Sep 2009, 10:32
Have we all just been caught up in a web of deceipt?

Isn't this just another version of Award stripping?

I'm still looking for the 'safety' in the hours of work 'net'. Domestic six legs on jets work up to 15 hours NOPE, there is no safety there - for anyone.

It's a shame rest between duties isn't one of the national employment standards, then maybe it might have meant something to somebody other than flight attendants and pilots.

I hope one of the pollies doesn't need CPR or protection from some crazy anti political nut on the twelfth sector of six Sydney-Canberra returns.

Once again we all need to be on the campaign trail.

Why is it that we the people, the taxpayers, are the ones who have to fix up government or company stuff ups in our own time?