PDA

View Full Version : TV helicopter pilots

SECRET SERVICE
3rd Sep 2009, 20:54
Sorry for the lateness in posting this thread but did anyone see “Top Trumps”at 19:30 hours on Channel 5 on Friday 28th August 2009?

Basically the concept of the programme was as follows. 2 presenters were tasked to choose two totally different helicopter types; the Augusta 109 Mark 2 and the AH64 Apache gunship, to establish which aircraft had the edge over the other, regarding they are two, very different aircraft.
One designed and built for war and the other designed initially as a mountain emergency rescue aircraft.

To be absolutely honest - the concept of the programme itself was pants, I'm not sure how one can compare the above as they are very different in design and have very different roles to perform.
However, here’s the good bit - I was really pleased to see for the first time in a long time, finally one of the leading and most famous british pioneering aerial helicopter pilot in the modern world (apart from Michael Malric-Smith) in front of the camera once again, and that was Captain Keith Thompson!

It was Keith Thompson and Michael Malric-Smith from thetelevision series Treasure Hunt that was my inspiration that first interested me into the rotary/helicopters world at such a very young age. It was then I was urged to gain work experience with the now defunct Aeromega Helicopters when it was originally formed and directed by Mark Barry Jackson and Kit Pemberton. Those were the days but I now understand MBJ is now chief pilot with Arena - so what a small film world it is!

Anyway, I am now in my thirties and living the rotary dream. The last time I saw Keith Thompson in front of the camera was on the tv programme called “You Bet!” back in the 80's and 90's where KT hovered a B206 Jet Ranger ,2-3 feet of the ground with a robotic hand on the right skid and picked up and poured a bottle of wine into a glass.... and guess what, he did the bet well within 2 minutes! I tried to find the footage on “You Tube” but failed. However, I did manage to find this footage showing Michael Malric-Smith also from Castle Air landing a Jetranger on a postage stamp!

Du9IOeaUeg8

As for me and ever since then I haven’t looked back and have constantly viewed on the tv the ever increasing portfolio of credits to Keith Thompson name to which he has worked on projects such as: Treasure Hunt, The Intercepter, The Flying Gardener, Coast and the very large majority of the aerial television/movie footage shown on tv/cinema today, including the opening segment for the BBC1 credit showing an A109 landing on top of a light house.

It’s been some time since I last saw KT on television and he really hasn’t changed at all, apart from a few silver hairs here and there and even wears specs around his neck. Apart from that he still looks like the same old Keith Thompson.

If there are are fellow Ppruners that have worked with either KT or MMS over theyears or know them personally whether whilst serving in the Royal Navy or in civilian aviation world - I'd be interested to hear a few facts or two?

heli1
5th Sep 2009, 18:13
You're right .Apart from Keith it was cr*p...I found myself squirming with embarrasment ,especialy for the guys at Fort Rucker having to answer the inane childish questions from the idiot presenter.. I know they have to dumb down these days to compete with Big Brother but really !

Special 25
5th Sep 2009, 21:47
I always wanted to find a clip of that Champagne task. All I can remember was at the end, Keith did a very low level celebratory turn that made me go a bit pale at the time - Maybe the blade tips weren't as close to the ground as I remember, but either way, the banked turn was an even greater bit of flying than the task itself.

Not to mention landing on the submarine during the Treasure Hunt series. Oh, Anneka in that jump-suit. Its all flooding back !

Tonka Toy
5th Sep 2009, 22:01
Had the great pleasure of doing some re filming for britain from above for the coastguard segment and was a little in awe of MMS having been brought up with treasure hunt. But he and his camera man were brilliant, never before have I felt so comfortable having some 109 blades thrashing around in the air so close to me! Another box ticked!!!

SECRET SERVICE
6th Sep 2009, 17:10
Thanks for the response!

Now that I reflect back - you're absolutely correct. It was a champagne bottle and not wine bottle as I clearly stated.

As for the low level KT aerial flying display - totally forgot about that until you mentioned it. Now when I think about I suppose it was a tad close to the ground, but hey....he's a true expert and professional!

As for viewing the above "You Tube" footage again - you never know - maybe the man himself, KT is an avide fellow Ppruner and he will read this thread where he can delve into the very large and extensive Castle Air archive and provide the film for all to enjoy once again!

KR

SS

tonkaplonka
6th Sep 2009, 18:04
I had the pleasure of being a pax with Mr Malric Smith in 1989 while my father was filming out of the door of his Jet Ranger over the Hamble in Southampton.
It was most enjoyable and I'll always remember that day well.

Blue Rotor Ronin
7th Sep 2009, 01:40
Holy sh*t that's good work! :ok::D

8th Sep 2009, 07:58
8M circle of balloons - pah......try the mercedes mark at Ternhill:)Ah the joys of SCT EOLs:ok:

wardy20
14th Sep 2009, 17:42
Thanks for posting that Secret Service! I remember watching that episode as a kid. It was footage like that that made me want to be a pilot! Cracking stuff.:ok:

MartinCh
15th Sep 2009, 02:40
heli1, well, I'm sure it would be so much more interesting for Joe public if they compared A109 Mk1 and Mk2, gloated about tiny design changes, increased MTOW, extra HP, OGE ceiling, yada yada.

It's meant to be popular. So it fits the bill. I watched the repeat of it recently and I enjoyed watching choppers. The talking isn't important.

As for pouring champagne with skid attached device, I remember one of the Takeshi castle style Jap comp where they had bottle opener and popped the beer tops the same way. It's somewhere on youtube, too, for sure..