PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 707 N711UT / 9Q-CRY

1970s Spotter
3rd Sep 2009, 14:16
Does anyone have any details on the operation of the above aircraft during the late 1970s and early 1980s?

Think she might have been a gun-runner at one stage. Alos reported as damaging some of Lulsgate's lights and fence on t/o in 1980?
Probably used on freight flights out of UAE but I have not a lot more.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Ta

Mr_Grubby
3rd Sep 2009, 14:42
1970s Spotter.

Try looking on PPRuNe ATC forum on Oct.12th 2005.
The Lulsgate Cowboy incident is covered there.

Sorry, not clever enough to post a link !!

Clint. :ok:

skytrain10
3rd Sep 2009, 16:07
I recall seeing it at LGW in 1979 whilst registered N711UT.
I suspect it was performing questionable flights...it was seized by the Finnish authorities in Feb 1979 whilst on lease to Carib West Airlines. It was sold to Air Transco of Zaire in Aug 1979 (at which point it became 9Q-CRY) and ended up stored and subsequently seized in Ankara in 1980. It was reregistered in Turkey (TC-JCF) in 1981 and broken up in 1984. I don't believe it ever flew under Turkish marks, but I may be wrong?

matspart3
3rd Sep 2009, 18:04
Details of the Bristol incident in the Flight archive
1980 | 3937 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1980/1980%20-%203937.html)

diddy1234
4th Sep 2009, 08:38
Maybe I missed something, but I take it the Kahn's wanted out and managed to get as far as Turkey.

So what did the captain do to the engines (small metal particles) before take off for the last time ?

Very interesting read, I never knew of cowboy pilots.

621andy
11th Sep 2009, 20:38
I remember seeing it parked at BRS about a week before its incident filled departure..

wrecker
14th Sep 2009, 18:23
The same people were involved in operating DC6&7s into the Congo (as was) in early 1960s to mainly unprepared strips.

Rachman
8th Oct 2012, 20:20
33 years almost to the day, I would like to illuminate this incident with some photographs I have but there does not seem to be any image upload facility!

If anyone would like digital copies, please contact me via email on [email protected]

As an employee of Dan-Air BRS at the time, I was watching this departure that day and a last minute runway change possibly saved my life as had I known the take off was to be on 09 I would probably have elected to take my photographs from the perimeter fence which in those days bordered the old A38, to capture the aircraft rolling down the runway and over my head.

As it was, ATC told me 27 was the expected departure runway so as it was not possible to get a photographic view down the runway from the western end I settled for a quiet spot adjacent to the 09 threshold. But then the r/w change happened and I had no time to get back to the other end. Therefore the action happened at the far end relative to where I was.

The quality of the photographs is not good, but remember they are 33 year-old colour prints which have been scanned and were taken in failing light conditions to start with. I believe they are of interest as at least you can see what went on.

The prints were impounded by the AAIB to assist their investigation and returned some time later.

treadigraph
8th Oct 2012, 21:24
Rachman, you can upload them to Photobucket or a similar site and then insert them via a link.

I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

Regards

Treadders

The SSK
9th Oct 2012, 08:09
Well documented in PPRuNe last year

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/471643-lulsgate-cowboy.html

Aero Mad
11th Oct 2012, 19:05
I cover this story in my book in some detail. Search Airline Scams and Scandals on Amaz:mad:n .

MrNosy2
12th Oct 2012, 15:22
23 Jan 1980 reportedly 'some 2.5hr after departure from Sharjah while the aircraft was over Turkey, the No. 3 engine began to vibrate severely and almost immediately afterwards failed. A few minutes later the No. 4 engine began to vibrate and the pilot elected to shut it down. However, not long after this the No. 2 engine also began to vibrate. The pilot attempted to reduce the vibration by reducing power on the engine but this was not entirely successful. The pilot declared an emergency and diverted to Ankara where a safe landing was made about 1.5hr later. A subsequent inspection of the oil filters on the four engines found that all were heavily contaminated by sand and fragments of metal.'

Khan's father, Khan and his family were on board I think and it was said that some one had 'helped' the sand to get into the oil.