PDA

View Full Version : No internet - local access only

Squawk7777
3rd Sep 2009, 10:02
Hello ppruners!

I stumbled across an interesting and very frustrating internet connection problem:

The wireless router is not strong enough to signal through the entire house. A repeater is installed and radiates to the end of the world (at least in this house). Then a couple of days ago, I couldn't connect to the internet. Troubleshooting revealed following issues:

I can connect to the Internet through the router.
I get a full signal from the repeater, but it says local access only (attempts by Vista has been unsuccessful)
A different computer (also Vista) can surf the net through the repeater.

Systems have been rebooted several times, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

7 7 7 7

green granite
3rd Sep 2009, 10:50
Your encryption code on the computer corrupt? If not try disabling encryption on the router and see if you can connect without it.

Ancient Observer
3rd Sep 2009, 11:52
Only a possibility........
It's unlikely to be this, but you never know.........Has the router or the repeater got access control, and is it on? My wireless modem router sometimes takes dislike to one of the daughter's pc's, and won't allow it access, even tho' I've allowed access.
When it happens it's one of those turn everything off, turn router and "main" pc back on, access router control stuff, turn on remote pc, and allow access again.
I have no idea why it does it, but as I can manage the solution, I'm not bovvered.

C-N
3rd Sep 2009, 16:45
but it say local access only

I have experienced similar problem when I attempted to connect my desktop at home to a router, together with my laptop. It's telling me 'Limited connectivity' , Local only

It turns out that my IP range is set to one, and only one IP range can be used by all of my machines (only 2 PC), and IP conflict arises as both PC wants to use only one IP address. To fix this go to something like this in your router configuration.

Config can be usually reached using the browser (IE or firefox or safari)
When you're there (inside the browser and router config), click your IP,
1) then Gateway IP Network;
2) then DHCP setting, IP range
3) Start IP range: (value here is your current IP) (don't change this)
4) End IP range: value of start IP range (see 3) + the number of user you want

if you can locate the 3) and 4) above and modify 4), I think you're prob will be solved.
usually the help desk / Tech support of your ISP can also help.

Above details and sequence might differ depending on the brand of your router, the above is for Semens, errrm Siemens.

x213a
3rd Sep 2009, 17:10
Does the repeater support the same encryption as the router? WEP or whatever...
Try removing security and see if that solves it. If it does then its an encryption issue. Choose an encryption both platforms support.

Squawk7777
8th Sep 2009, 10:15
Thanks everyone for your replies. Just as I was trying to follow C-N steps it automatically connected! :eek: What is strange about it is my brother's laptop was sitting right next to mine (his being connected to the net) when all of a sudden ... it worked!

Keef
8th Sep 2009, 13:50
It saw you and realised it wasn't going to get away with it much longer.

Mine did that - said "No internet access" and insisted I couldn't. Just as I typed 192.168.8.1 into the address box, I got a "bing" and it came back.