PDA

View Full Version : Computer Won't Boot after installing Modem

lomapaseo
3rd Sep 2009, 00:12
The thread title doesn't really tell the whole story . The good news is that I solved the problem (temporary?) but don't know why? Hence the question for an explanation.

I just installed a mototola 56k modem in two differnt Dell XPS700 desktop computers. These computer are running XP3 and both have dual graphic cards and multiple internal hardrives for storage.

The first computeri nstalled without a hitch.

However after installing the PCI modem hardware on the second Dell when I started the reboot process I could hear the drives spinning but no video (monitor black). I gave it enough time for the MSwindows song to play (completing the boot). I then had to turn off the computer and tried a reboot attempt but this time I never even got the MSwindows song.

So I started over by reseating all the PCI boards (including the video) This gave me the initial Dell boot screen but no boot function to windows. I tried the F2 key to get to set up but the computer did not respond to that. I took out the new modem PCI card and the computer would still not respond beyond the initial Dell boot screen. So a phone call to daughter for help. While I was on the phone after several minutes the computer finally gave me the set up screen.

That's where some strange things had happened like turning off some of the hard drives on its own. I turned them back on and rebooted and noted that the SATA assignments had now changed:confused: I finally got the computer to reliably boot as far as the set up screen but now noticed that it was giving me an error that drive 0 could not be found. I had not changed any of the SATA leads so that was a mystery. I only had one hard drive slot open (not hooked to a SATA lead) and the other drives were showing as SATA drive assignment 1, & 3. So icould only guess that the computer was looking for an operating system on a drive different from the one that I have been using for a year or so.

So I moved my hard drive to the open bay and presto the computer now boots from what is called drive 0.

Question. How can such a simple PCI card installation cause so much confusion inside a machine:confused:

Does it have something to do with port addresses etc.?

inadequate