PDA

View Full Version : Austrailian Medical/Alcohol

tommy4931
1st Sep 2009, 03:53
Does any one know if it is possible to get an Austrailan medical with having been issued two special issuances from the FAA for alcoholism? That is to say i've relapsed twice. I have applied for my FAA medical, and everybody I deal with...the PHD and clinician, feel that I am more than able to return to work. I will have 5 years of sobriety within the next month. The hang up is with the psychiatrist who feels that I do not communicate openly enough to have him gauge my emotional well being. No one doubts my honesty or the fact that I am sober, and have been for almost 5 years. They feel that I am working a good program also. Any help would be great....Thanks.:ugh:

Horatio Leafblower
1st Sep 2009, 04:25
Australian medical standards are detailed in the DAME handbook - you can find it on the CASA website and scroll through it or download it.

Dunno if you are the best person to assess yourself against the criteria. Good luck.

Metro man
1st Sep 2009, 09:11
In Papua New Guinea you would need to be a current alcoholic to stand a chance. In Australia, having been one in the past should be good enough.:E

tommy4931
1st Sep 2009, 16:00
Thanks guys....Do you know of any pilots who went through this process?