PDA

View Full Version : ysbk

Scion
31st Aug 2009, 20:29
There was a public meeting last Sunday evening near the airport for the residents to air their annoyance with BAL and their plans for a school and shopping center on the airport. Did anyone go and hear what was said?

Scion
1st Sep 2009, 20:19
The proposed school is to be an Islamic school and as such local objections will not be heard if BAL wish it so as they are on federal land. I suppose the meeting was packed not just with those agin the proposal but those for more developement as well.

Is that the case?

Zhaadum
2nd Sep 2009, 04:39
Religious vilification is not tolerated here!

sms777
3rd Sep 2009, 00:01
They have failed at Camden, now they are after Bankstown (which they already own most of it) :sad:
You guys are very lucky living at better parts of this great country so you do not have to put up with fear living amongst them...

aussie_hawk
3rd Sep 2009, 02:25
Being a former bankstown resident of 20 years and a pilot who trained there I can honestly say most of you have no idea. :ugh:

The main issues at the meeting was the amount of traffic that the new school and IGA supermarket were going to create causing the parking lot that is Birdwood road at school times to get only worse.

I was told that for a change things were kept politically correct and it didn't become a moaning session about another neighbourhood being invaded.

The bigger issue is the ability for airport to do what it likes because it is federal land, next they will nominating Camden for a nuclear waste dump.

And no I am not a muslim, am of Australian heritage and think you guys should go back and sit on your porch in the rocking chair and play ya banjo.

*retreats to the bomb shelter and awaits the fall out

sms777
3rd Sep 2009, 03:39
What made you move away from Bankstown aussiehawk? A safer enviroment for your family perhaps? :hmm:

Tidbinbilla
3rd Sep 2009, 03:43
Right. Two of you have earned 7 days each in the sin bin.

We will not tolerate anyone vilifying people because of race or religion!

SMS777, you are sailing close to the wind :=

Cranky TID

Back Pressure
3rd Sep 2009, 03:56
Good on ya Tid - damn right !

aussie_hawk
3rd Sep 2009, 05:06
Family still living there, off chasing the dream out bush for the last 3 years. Would love to be able to live and fly out of there, but having to much fun at the bottom end of the GA food chain.

Ultralights
3rd Sep 2009, 08:20
my concern is where will they build it? will it be on the large levelled block to the south, behind the museum? will there be a "40" kt zone on 29L/11R during certain times?
what will happen if an aircraft runs off the runway and into the school premises? how long will YSBK remain open after such an incident? how long before the noise complaints start rolling in with students being distracted etc etc?

LeadSled
3rd Sep 2009, 08:21
Folks,

Back to the subject.

The following is the text of a letter from the Minister to the CEO of BAL, and a press release from the Member for Blaxland. The Minister's statement applies to all airports that were Commonwealth airports, now leased.

Tootle pip!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
Minister for Infrastructure,
Transport, Regional Development
and Local Government
Leader of the House 18 AUG 2009

Mr Kim Ellis
Chief Executive Officer
Bankstown Airport Limited
3 Avro Street
BANKSTO\VN AIRPORT NSW 2200

Dear Mr Ellis
I am writing to all federal airport lessee companies regarding the Australian Government's approach towards incompatible developments on airport land, as identified in the National Aviation Policy Green Paper: Flight Path to the Future. As has been clearly indicated in the Green Paper and other statements, the Government has a clear view that airport sites are first and foremost for aviation uses.

As indicated in the Green Paper, the Government considers there are a range of activities such as long term residential development and the operation of residential aged or community care facilities, nursing home and childcare facilities (other than those designed principally for staff working on the airport site), hospitals and schools that may not be compatible with the aviation operations of airports.

Since writing to all airport lessee companies (ALCs) on 27 March 2009 asking that all have regard to the Government's policy position on incompatible airport developments, I have become aware that a number of ALCs are progressing proposals for on-airport developments that may be inconsistent with this policy. It is not clear that the existing triggers under the Airports Act 1996 would apply to require assessment through the major development plan processes in each case.

To ensure a clear framework is in place for considering these proposals, I am informing you of my intention to initiate regulations requiring ALCs pursuing any development for the activities identified as incompatible with airports, such as long term residential developments, residential aged or community care facilities, nursing home and child care facilities (other than those designed principally for staffworking on the airport site), hospitals and schools to prepare a Major Development Plan (MDP). Subject to the making of the regulation, approval of the MDP would become a precondition for building work on such developments.

Making these proposals subject to the MDP process provides the opportunity for the community and for state and local authorities to comment on the implications of each such proposed development. It would ensure issues such as the community impact, traffic flows and integration with off airport development are properly addressed. The MDP process also enables me to consider the implications of the proposal for the longer term development of aviation and related uses at the airport.

Officers from my Department will inform you when these regulations have been made.

PARLIAMENT HOUSE CANBERRA ACT 2600
Telephone: 02 6277 7680 Facsimile: 02 6273 4126
I look forward to your cooperation on this matter and have written to other ALCs in similar terms.
Yours sincerely

(signed by the Minister)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
JASON CLARE MP
Member for Blaxland

MEDIA RELEASE

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TAKES CONTROL OF BIRDWOOD RESERVE DECISON

Jason Clare MP, Member for Blaxland, today announced that the Federal Government will make a new regulation that will make the Federal Government the decision maker for the proposed development of Birdwood Reserve currently being considered by Bankstown Airport Limited.

In December last year the Federal Government released an Aviation Green Paper (Flight Path to the Future) outlining proposed changes to the aviation industry and the way airports operate.

The Green Paper makes it clear that the Federal Government believes airports should be used for aviation purposes. It proposes to prohibit or restrict the development of residential homes, aged or community care facilities, nursing homes, child care facilities for the public, hospitals and schools on airport land.

Under the existing Airport Masterplan (which expires next year) the owners of Bankstown Airport currently have the power to approve developments like these on Birdwood Reserve if they are valued under $20 million.

This new regulation changes that. It will require all federally leased airports around Australia proposing residential developments, aged or community care facilities, nursing home and child care facilities, hospitals and schools to prepare a Major Development Plan and submit it to the Federal Government for approval.

Mr Clare said "This is good news. It means the owners of the airport won't be able to run rough shod over the local community. The Federal Government will now be the decision maker. "It means there will be proper community consultation and the concerns of the local community will be well and truly heard.

"I will be telling the Federal Government that I don't support the proposed development of Birdwood Reserve. It is opposed by Bankstown Council, it is opposed by our local community and is inconsistent with Federal Government policy," Mr Clare said.

Issued:
Media contact:
21 August 2009
Chris Zogopoulos M: 0412 577 750

Jenna Talia
3rd Sep 2009, 10:05
Common sense prevails :ok:

LeadSled
3rd Sep 2009, 14:42
Folks,

Let us all profoundly hope that this policy statement by the Minister is a sign of real change.

Why don't you all write to him, tell him this is the right direction, and encourage him to ramp up the effort for aviation, while it still has a pulse.

Is a few minutes and a 50c stamp too much of an effort??

Tootle pip!!

Scion
4th Sep 2009, 11:51
I agree Leadsled.

Polies do get too much of a stick and perhaps not enough carrot!

An essance of this problem is that with Hoxton closed, 18/36 closed and Camden closed occassionally for film work the Sydney basin is not well served.

Please contact them and let them see that the monopoly they have created is not working and it will be more of a problem to them as is rather than as was with the FAA.