PDA

View Full Version : Career Change & Assessment Dilemma

Adimondo
31st Aug 2009, 16:36
Being middle-aged (40 turning 41 soon) and carrying an economics diploma decided to convert my aviation hobby into profession. After extensive research and following suggestions from this forum I eventually decided to go for it. Took Oxford Aviation Academy (OAA) into consideration and applied for the integrated airline first officer programe (APP). Brushed up 4 months engaging OAA’s maths & physics CDs, aptitude software from SkyTest & Cockpitweb. Got excellent results during training. The Compass-Test software wasn’t available by any means.

Simulator ride - passed
Technical awareness & Physics – passed
Psychologic questionnaire – passed
2 group exercises – passed
Group discussion – passed
Individual interview – passed
Compass-Test – failed

Got the opportunity to retake the Compass-Test 3 months later which I failed again.
The EPST (European Pilot Selection Test) Compass-Test comprizes 6 Modules: Eye-Hand-Foot-Coordination, Eye-Hand-Coordination (Slalom), Numeracy (24 tasks in 20 minutes), Memory, Orientation and Multitasking. In each module can be
reached a maximum of 7 points meaning a maximum of 42 points for the whole Compass-Test. In order to reach the minimum passing standard there are 2 restrictions: the candidate has to reach at least 28 points in all AND at least 4 points in each module.

Here are my results:

1st Attempt 2nd Attempt (Retake)
Eye-Hand-Foot-Coordination 2 3
Eye-Hand-Coordination (Slalom) 5 7
Numeracy (Maths) 3 5
Memory 4 5
Orientation 1 3
Multitasking 2 4
Total 17 27

They quoted me as generally suitable for an aviation carrier, however regarded my suboptimal performance in the Compass-Test as a risk for not being able to complete the integrated airline first officer programe (APP). According to OAA’s rules failing during the integrated course would cause them to pay back the tuition expenditures. Therefore they are quite averse concerning any risk.

Proceeding in a structured manner I’ll put all the facts together in order to be appraised and be able to make the right decision:
• comitted to aviation
• middle-aged
• at least 15 years to late to start an aviation carrier
• failed twice at OAA being quoted a risk concerning the completion of the integrated ATPL-course
• not intending to loose time & money on a modular course taking into account the age and the prospects after completion of the course
• self sponsorship possible

A highly professional assessment at the end of totally half an year of intensive training and exercise quoted me as a risk. They were ambiguous with respect to my ability to complete the integrated ATPL-course.
Am I dealing with unsuitable brain convulsions? Should I drop my intentions immediately? Are there some suggestions for the US-market for integrated ATPL? My target is a professional/commercial flying carrier. Is it feasible?
I would highly appreciate some thoughts and suggestions.

Blinkz
1st Sep 2009, 00:06
Another option would be to go to GAPAN for an assessment of your aptitude, to get a 2nd opinion so to speak.

Sciolistes
1st Sep 2009, 04:45
Adimondo,

Firstly, your apparent matter of fact and objective review of your performance is refreshing indeed.

I completed the GAPAN assessment when I first started out, and the PILAPT more recently. Although they employ different 'games', both tests were essentially the same and I imagine the Compass won't be much different.

Sensible options are:

Buy some PILAPT test prep software (http://www.cockpitweb.com/pilottest.html) and see you that compares to your Compass experience.
Start your PPL and see how you get on. I'm not sure if you get any kind of credit when starting an integrated course with a PPL (or some PPL training).
Perhaps consider a "structured modular" course, such as Oxford's own Waypoint Programme. Modular training isn't a problem in it self if you choose a quality provider (a recognised brand probably helps). I have no experience of Oxford, but I suspect, that unless you are going to be the ace of the base, then APP isn't going to give you any advantage in job seeking over something like Waypoint.

I really don't know how much weight to give these tests. You seem to have put a lot of effort into this and still have come up a little short. That should be taken into consideration. OAA seem to think you would probably do OK.

Ultimately, I think that if you really want to continue, you'll have to suck it and see (i.e. start a modular PPL with no ongoing commitment). Anything is feasible, but I think you need options, the option to bug out and limit your costs if you feel you're not up to it. You seem to have an advantage over many, your objective character should help you recognise if the risk is too great to continue.

Kirks gusset
1st Sep 2009, 07:08
Adimondo,

Your dilemna is, IMHO two fold, one now that OAA have basically said you are a training risk you will be under the spotlight and, considering they see these profiles every day, do you want to put yourself through that process. I assume OAA are saying " No" to you taking up the scheme, which means you have to look at other routes. As the more "mature" student, do you want to be compared on a daily basis with 19yr olds with minds like sponges.
Secondly, given this process will take a few years, where do you see yourself at the end? airlines look for hours commensurate with age and this will, I'm afraid, put you on the back foot.
I would first speak to some regional TP operators, as this realistically will be your fishing ground to start and canvas their opinions, it may be they have other roles available while you are training. I am not implying it won't happen, but at your age you have to try and become part of the system that some of these guys have been in for 20 yrs. OAA are not the only provider and you could save a lot of money going down another route,Granted OAA have a good reputation and provide excellent training, however, you are not competing with 100 or so other 20 yr olds, your case is different and needs to be approached as such.

midagecrisis
1st Sep 2009, 11:57
Adimondo,

Good on you. The only thing I can do here in HK is to apply for Cathay Pacific's Cadet Pilot Programme as aviation/flying is pretty "rare" in HK.

Best wishes to you.

GearDownFlaps
1st Sep 2009, 15:09
There is the other option , ignore the stupid aptitude test its got sod all to do with flying its got even less to do with passing an integrated course at OAA , there are enough whippersnappers coming out of there with a cpl/ir who cant fly worth a damn.
I failed most aptitude tests ,miserably ill freely admit , im just crap at them , but got through the atpls fine and the flying and am now working as an instructor happily .
If you want it you will do it

Adimondo
1st Sep 2009, 23:07
Thank you for the constructive thoughts, gentlemen.

Pilapt training is no longer a challenge for me. Got a pretty good control on it.
Yes, I want it and I probably will make it. I'm just in a state of shock at the moment after engaging all resources and collecting such a desastruous result.
Sure, I'm pretty aware of the realistic career start at a regional commuter carrier which employs some propeller driven aircraft. That's fine, I want to fly and will keep trying till I get it.

All the best!