PDA

View Full Version : Student PPL/CPL looking for advice on crop dusting and/or light freight jobs in Oz

ma11achy
31st Aug 2009, 13:01
Hi there,

I am a reasonable way through my PPL at the moment (planning to finish it in Ireland) and am looking at changing careers after one or two years. I will be (hopefully) moving full time to Australia on the back of my I.T education and experience, once I (again, hopefully) get the Residency Visa I have applied for. I then hope to finish my CPL in Australia.

My question is - are there many jobs down under for a newly minted CPL that is interested in crop dusting, island hopping, or small freight hauling in light twins/singles?
I realise I probably will have a lot of competition and my hours will be insignificant compared to the old hands, but does anyone think I have a chance? (I'm 39)

I don't want to go near the big jet/airlines type of job.

Cheers!

redsnail
31st Aug 2009, 13:38
As you seem to know what you're doing re visas I won't bother talking about that.

Crop dusting is not for new players any more. Most equipment is turbine powered and more often than not, conducted at night. You'd need to check with ag operators and more often than not, do an "apprenticeship" on the ground before being let loose in the aircraft. Useful skills, tail wheel experience and the like.

Now, where most of us go for the first jobs in Oz is "up north". Whether that's to Far North Queensland, the Northern Territory or the Kimberley is up to you. FNQ usually requires a "season" in either the Territory or the Kimberley.

There are other places in Western Australia that do take on folks. Look for places that do "scenics" as well as Aboriginal charter.
There's a lot of stuff in the D&G forums.

Competition is usually pretty tight for the jobs. You'll need a good positive outlook, a willingness to work hard and good team skills.
Also, a night rating is pretty useful as well as the CPL. The IR can be done after a "season" but most do it before. (Tax breaks if you have already worked). You can do your ATPL theory during the Wet (when you're "let go")
Other things useful are a First Aid certificate, Dangerous Good certificate, small bus drivers license and so on.

Good luck. :ok:

ma11achy
31st Aug 2009, 14:00
Brilliant, thanks Redsnail! Some really valuable information there.

Cheers,
ma11achy