PDA

View Full Version : Cadet pilot program with airline - existing? chances?

michaelaza
30th Aug 2009, 23:44
Hi, everybody,
I would like to find out which airlines around the world have cadet pilot program.
And for whom? for Wannabes? for former pilots with some experience in the past?

About myself:
- former pilot USSR (Russian and Ukrainian) Air Force.
- IL-76 about 2500 hours (co-pilot)
-Now Canadian citizen
Dream to fly in Germany (girlfriend lives and work in Germany, I live in Canada)
Inthe perfect world - I would like to join cadet pilot program with Lufthansa and restore my expired pilot license - move to Germany and live and fly there.
Is that possible?

PS: Guys, please don't just read it but reply, give some advise, even you are not sure but can give an idea

PPRuNeUser0215
31st Aug 2009, 09:38
Hi

You will find that most cadet programmes have an age limit, usually under 30 but also require you to have no hours (probably your biggest problem) or a Private licence at the most.

Still here is a link
Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/cadetpilot_requirements)

Kirks gusset
31st Aug 2009, 10:56
I think the short answer is NO. If you have previous experience you will not be considered for a cadetship, that's if you can find one! and if you are type rated your probably will not get any sponsorship at all. As the previous comment made. PPL is about the limit they want.

Captain_Tones
31st Aug 2009, 11:29
i sort of have the same problem but im only 17 and only had an hours experience with an instructor on a introduction flight to see if i enjoyed it.. and let me tell you that i did :ok::ok:

just quick question, are there any other programs or companies that offer cadetships to australians?

- cathay pacific but there closed atm? (anyone know when they open)

58UFlyer
31st Aug 2009, 14:45
That is not true: I filled out the application for Cathay, I could not find an age limit. As for flight experience, it is wrong too: I could send my application with 600 hours and a Commercial license.
Good luck to all!

PPRuNeUser0215
31st Aug 2009, 16:51
The fact that CX is/may be different doesn't make it untrue.
And so is the fact that you are allowed to apply...

Most means most operators, not all will have a maximum level of experience (otherwise that wouldn't be a cadet programme).
Also the fact that no age is mentioned does not mean that at 55 you will be allowed to join the programme either.

http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/386600-cx-cpp-applicants.html

Matt101
31st Aug 2009, 19:45
worldwide I guess your options are, (when they are open to new applicants) Cathay and Etihad cadet pilot programmes - whilst their national programmes are ongoing they take a few international applicants to. But these courses (despite what you may have read) are, generally, only open to ab initio pilots in certain age brackets

Other than that learn french get an EU passport and try AF?????

In the UK Flybe offer mentored and part sponsored programmes.

Ultimately to get on any of these you need a bit, no make that a lot, of luck with the ability to pass the entrance requirements at a high standard. I wouldn't rely on it and certainly determination to make your own luck is the best way forward.

Whatever happens for you I wish you the very best of luck

Captain_Tones
1st Sep 2009, 06:44
58uflyer!

i went on the cathay pacific careers website and went to the application and on the second page it has a tab saying

o atleast 18 years of age.

are you trying to say that you don't have to be 18?

michaelaza
3rd Sep 2009, 12:38
Hi, everybody
I was looking a little bit different info. Looking for gaps for me to get in. If I were in Air company personnel manager's shoes I would have kind of bridge program - something between cadets with 0 experience and ready licensee pilots. (eg.: instead to spend 2 for cadet training - spend about 6 month for former pilots like me) Cheaper and faster/

So, does anybody know the ways former pilots?

RunSick
3rd Sep 2009, 13:03
That would be against the principle of a cadet program. The idea is to train you from the ground up in order to learn what they want you to learn the way they want you to learn it. It's assumed that a pilot who has already received advanced instruction will carry some "faults" or incorrect habits which will be hard to correct. Truth or not, that's the way it is.
Anyway, if I were in an Air company personnel manager's shoes, and the issue was about hiring a pilot in a fast and cheap way, why would I even bother with the 6 month training? It's even faster and cheaper to hire an unemployed type rated low hours F/O...

michaelaza
5th Sep 2009, 15:34
To RunSick:
I want to say that enough unemployed prepared pilots? And Air companies overloaded with applications of prepared pilots?
Now is not a good time, but many of my friends predicting a boom in few years (may be in 1 or 2 years) - old pilot retiring, young are not prepared

So that it should be ways for me..... and i did not hear yet any valuable advice from this forum

BusinessMan
5th Sep 2009, 19:34
Guys, just a thought but shall we guess that Michaelaza uses the word 'cadet' here in its broader sense (roughly 'trainee') and what's being asked is actually more 'Does anyone know of any direct entry schemes, preferably in Germany?'

Michaelaza - apologies but I don't know of any such schemes that might be relevant to you. However, the best way to find out is to research all the airlines in the area that interests you, contact them yourself and also monitor their websites regularly. One thing you can be sure of is that if anyone does start hiring then the jobs will go fast and no-one is going to be having to advertise jobs widely in the current climate - you will have to be lucky/quick to find such opportunities

Cheers, BM

RunSick
5th Sep 2009, 21:19
To Michaelaza:

Ok, then, if you're so sure about the future then that's great news for you and I can only wish you the best. ;)

projclk
8th Sep 2009, 09:09
Hi guys, this is my first post but I've actually been reading these forums for some time now.

Just wanna get a general opinion from you guys.

Been wanting to apply for the CX international cadetship but I'm not sure now's such a good time to do so.

Would they:

1. Prefer someone with ZERO hours (as in my only experience in any aircraft is of those on ground and when I'm going somewhere on holiday. not even an introductory flight.)?

2. Someone with at least a bit, maybe lets say 20hrs, of experience in the air?

Should I:

1. Go get some hours on a PPL course to clock some hours, then I apply later. Though I'm a little worried that this international hiring thing won't last since it seems no one is sure when the applications' closing date is. Then again, when the economy picks up (hopefully in a few years time), IF they're still hiring internationally, they should increase the cadetship intake right?

2. Just apply now. Though I'm not sure how I can prove that I'm passionate about flying if I don't even have an hour in the air. Hence I can't really differentiate myself from all the other wannabes out there (I'll probably be worse off) and therefore my chances will be as slim as I was 10 yrs ago.

Help?What say you?