PDA

View Full Version : Subsidised routes in Greece

wouldhave
30th Aug 2009, 14:40
Can anyone tell me which routes in Greece are subsidised?

Apparently the new Olympic have applied to operate the services but Aegean Airlines have also applied for 17 of them and Athens Airways, Hellasjet, Sky Express and the Romanian airline Carpatair have also applied.

The domestic flight situation in Greece has become in my opinion poor to the lesser known islands.

When I first started visiting Syros in the early 1990s, there were pretty much 2 flights a day, now they have 2 flights a week.

I understand that the high speed ferries have taken away a lot of the business as they now do the route from Piraeus in just under 3 hrs but even so, i would have expected at least a day flight.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Daza
30th Aug 2009, 16:08
I believe that ATH-JSI and ATH-SKU both attract funding. I agree the services do seem to have been reduced of late and timings altered to make connecting from the main European Hubs more difficult. I used to fly LHR-ATH-JSI and SKU for business and pleasure now it almost always means spending a night in ATH.
Daza

racedo
30th Aug 2009, 16:24
EU PSO :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/content/route-exchange/eu-pso/)

Currently 24 or so Greek routes classified as PSO and some 300 routes Europewide.

wouldhave
31st Aug 2009, 11:37
This is great information thanks - and some of the routes I would have expected to have been on there are not.

Chris