PDA

View Full Version : W7 Windows Photo Viewer

Loose rivets
29th Aug 2009, 17:59
I've mentioned before how disappointed I was with the new (photo) Preview program.

With XP, I could zoom in much further before pixellation occurred, and navigating about the pic, was easy...zooming on the spot you were interested in. The new offering, only allows a small zoom before pixellation, and I have to shove the pic about with the hand, which for some reason, I've always hated.

Anyway, just what does Windows call to show the Previews? I wondered if I could used the old version if it was a discrete piece of software.

Is there a simple freebie that I can operate with a right click while using Explorer, rather than having to enter another program?

John Marsh
29th Aug 2009, 19:33
The XP photo viewer is not a discrete app, it's a dll: shimgvw.dll

I've no idea if this dll could be integrated into W7, but it sounds like an interesting project!:8

As a right-click option in XP, I use PhotoFiltre.

PhotoFiltre - Download (http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/)

Loose rivets
29th Aug 2009, 21:34
EDIT Saab...I really didn't know if this is appropriate for the Digital photography thread. It seems more to do with Window's handling of the graphics, but as I explain, I don't know what's doing it.

Thanks John. I'll use that at least until I can figure out why Photoshop doesn't run on my W7 installation.

It works quite well, and will be a benefit, but the pixellation comes in at almost exactly the same time as the Windows viewer. :{

So, was I suffering false memory syndrome? I booted in XP, to check. There she was, the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

On the new offering a Pixel is about the size of her pupil.

It's strange, but on XP, there are highlights - with four star-like points at each pixel - but they are so small and soft that it really doesn't interfere with the picture when the head is full screen for example. (picture is of her full height) I wondered if there is anything that is causing a global softening of the XP picture, giving the illusion of a better quality. I doubt this is happening, it's too much of an improvement, I doubt that would be an easy bit of computing.

I really do not understand what's happening to make the old one so good.

green granite
29th Aug 2009, 21:44
Irfanview works with W7 and it's free. Photoshop should run ok depending on the version. have you tried setting the compatibility to XP mode? Failing that download the Virtual m\c system and XP from Microsoft and run it from there.

Windows XP Mode RC Now Available - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/08/04/windows-xp-mode-rc-now-available.aspx)

Loose rivets
30th Aug 2009, 06:38
PhotoFiltre is a very handy little program. I don't seem to be able to page through the picture files, but I can still scuttle about on Windows viewer and then pick the PF program from a selection for an almost instant load with the current photo in it. How clever is that?

g-g Thanks. Photoshop won't load from my copy, though I put it on Vista a few weeks back on my laptop. I assume the original will work but it's in my stuff back home...I hope that's the only reason. I did think W7 might be good at detecting copies.

I'll try your suggested program as well. I'm a little leary about the XP modes, as I read more, I felt there would have to be a good reason to delve into that workaround. Probably just brain-fade making me lazy.

Sprogget
30th Aug 2009, 06:46
Slightly off topic, I upload video to youtube fairly regularly (attempt at world domination on guitar). In Vista, I would plug in the camcorder & it would detect it & open a dialogue box for video importing

In 7, I have found this no longer happens. However, the feature is still available. Windows live photo gallery will import video in exactly the same way as for Vista via the file tab. I can't remember if it's preloaded or whether you have to download it from the windows live tab in all programs - either way it's still available if that's your thing.

Loose rivets
30th Aug 2009, 07:01
I'd like to get some of my old 8mm and super 8 movies on my computer. They're on DVDs (courtesy of a WWII cameraman!) but so valuable that I don't want to trust them to one set of media. I have the original on a broadcast quality tape, but have no means of playing it anymore. Also it would be nice to play it on the new telly which has computer software bundled with it.

C-N
30th Aug 2009, 08:44
The new offering, only allows a small zoom before pixellation, and I have to shove the pic about with the hand, which for some reason, I've always hated.

I think this is the reason why I don't buy/install the latest Win OS on the market.
There's a hidden price that you must pay. The yet to be discovered bugs and holes.

Consumers must have some power/right to sue those software firms that are releasing buggy apps. But those companies have brilliant staff, they let you accept their "Disclaimer" first. You just happily tick "Yes", and then click install.

green granite
30th Aug 2009, 09:49
I think this is the reason why I don't buy/install the latest Win OS on the market.

We didn't, it's free.

John Marsh
30th Aug 2009, 14:47
LR, is there an anti-aliasing setting in the graphics software on your W7 PC?

PhotoFiltre has one:- Filter->Soften->Antialias. Not as handy as having it fixed properly, though. It may be worthwhile raising this issue at Engineering Windows 7 (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/) or Windows 7 Forums (http://windows7forums.com/)

Loose rivets
30th Aug 2009, 16:13
Yes, but I went down that route with little success. I just feel there is a core problem - like the former one being too good, and MS deciding that it might stop us using something else. Cynical, moi?

I'd intended to join a forum or two, but time seems to be running at ever greater speed with each day. I'm relearning my camera, many months after buying it, thanks to Ken Roswell. So clear is his tutorial, compared to the manual, that I feel disposed to send him a few $. Most unlike me.

I'll try to get something on the Digital Camera thread, at least it will bring it to the top.

Mike-Bracknell
31st Aug 2009, 14:58
Pixellation when zooming in *might* be something to do with the graphics driver you're using, since it's not the same as the one you were using in XP.

Personally I much prefer the image viewer, as it takes MUCH less time to render the image now.

As for 8mm cine, there are companies out there who will do a very good job of converting it to digital media.

Loose rivets
31st Aug 2009, 15:28
Hi again

Yep, all my films were copied to broadcast quality spec some time ago, I just don't trust the DVDs to hold it. Needless to say, there's only just so much data on old film, but you can see the film defects really clearly now.:hmm:

I have one copy - done at the same time - of Cecilia Bartoli's making of her Vivaldi DVD. It was a wonderful production and much more fun and, dare I say it, better sound, than the final DVD. Sadly, one of the most moving pieces, started to glitch for a few bars, at the worst possible time. I'm hoping that it's on the Pro tape if not, its back to square one.

So our threads on DVD reliabillity really have some meaning. It happens, and is obviously designed to pick out the most crucial moments. :{

Back to pixellation.

I loaded Photoshop onto my laptop, and put said pretty girl on that. It was worse! Zooming in to just her head, her jaw-line is made up of about 30 saw tooth jaggs. Again, it begs the question of how XP viewer was so good.

One is intrigued, but having got me irrigation system going, burdened with mowing the lawn. I shall read posts carefully,Personally I much prefer the image viewer, noted, and then return.

Sprogget
31st Aug 2009, 16:15
Rivets, I don't want to teach your granny to suck eggs, but have you given the disc a wipe?

I had a very disappointed two year old last week when we couldn't watch Wall-e on blu ray...until dad the hero thought to look at the disc & wipe of a few sticky paw prints.

Loose rivets
31st Aug 2009, 18:49
I gave it a wipe for good luck, but it still sits there...spinning up, and spinning down. Not a dicky-bird comes on the screen.

Tried from explorer, grumbled my way through to XP sp 2 and 3 emulation. Same with Vista. Spins and stops. It knows it's a copy.

The reason I put it on my laptop was simply to check that it installed. It was fine - as always.

When I finally pressed the Report the problem - analyse the problem or something like that, it's just said "Compatibility problem." I don't think I've see that one before. And of course one of our regulars has it running on W7.

It's PS 7.0 by the way.

green granite
1st Sep 2009, 20:35
LR try downloading the demo photoshop 7 and see if that installs, from: Download Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Download (http://www.brothersoft.com/adobe-photoshop-59748.html)