PDA

View Full Version : XM Weather

flywatcher
29th Aug 2009, 01:32
XM weather seems to be one of best and most popular weather avoidance tools available for the GA community in the USA. The big question is why is it not available in Australia. There seems to be any amont of funding available for regulation and enforcement, for printing of handouts and holding BBQ's, but why no thought on XM weather? Is there any compelling reason why we can't get this in Australia?

Ovation
29th Aug 2009, 04:03
It's a real pity that XM weather is not available here, because having the Garmin GLD69A already fitted, it only requires a monthly subscription starting at USD$29.99 a month and I'm in business. I'd be guessing that it's NOT here because of (a) the satellite network (b) data collection from the AU source to the Satellite, and (c) XM was in a bit of financial trouble and only just dodged a bullet Sirius XM To Avoid Chapter 11 - SiriusBuzz (http://siriusbuzz.com/sirius-xm-to-avoid-chapter-11.php)

Avidyne have the MLX WX330 system available that will work in Asia/Pacific, and I had a real good look at it at Oshkosh recently. If you have a G1000 display (or similar) to feed it into, it's a lazy USD$11,990 plus installation plus satellite subscription (about USD$100 a month). Unfortunately the Garmin GLD69A won't receive their signal.

Avidyne Press Release - Avidyne Introduces New MLX770 Delivering Satellite Datalink Weather for Europe (http://www.avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=138)

Avidyne MLX770 Two-Way Datalink Receiver (http://www.avidyne.com/products/mlx770/index.asp)

UnderneathTheRadar
29th Aug 2009, 04:43
Is there any compelling reason why we can't get this in Australia?

Because this is the arse-end of the universe! We're too far from the existing satellites and the $$$ it would cost to cover Oz vs the number of likely users makes it unviable. I believe that if you have the kit and the subscription that it may work on the east coast of Oz due to overlap from pacific satellites (I'm sure I read that somewhere).

The other factor is the quality of the information it gives. I don't know how/where they get the info from in the US but assuming it here it would rely on feeds from the BoM, the info available from BoM is a)limited and b)available elsewhere anyway (might as well have a 3G phone connected to a tablet PC - except it's not overlaid).

I was amazed to learn that when you call Centre and ask for radar info on TS, all they have is the same feed that we can see on the BoM website and it only gets updated every 10 minutes as well. They do have lighting strike sensors in Oz but if/how that info would be available to an XM weather provider I don't know - maybe someone else does?

It looks good but simply getting Sat coverage is only part of the issue I think.

UTR.

PlankBlender
29th Aug 2009, 04:52
UTR you beat me to it, nailed it, the aviation market here is simply too small to make a service like that viable.

If you want to experience general aviation in all its glory, you do need to go to the US.

I'm getting pretty close these days to what's possible here -- in a lightie with no place for an actual radar -- with my Garmin 530/WX-500 Stormscope combo plus a NextG-connected tablet PC (Fujitsu P1620).

On a recent flight to the Rock, I was amazed how far I had (even 3.5G) network coverage (Nokia E51 atm without external antenna, holding the phone up was sometimes required), basically it drops off a few hundred miles east of Birdsville, and then you get it back approaching the Rock..

The update cycles of the BoM site can indeed be a problem, the sat loops can be up to an hour old sometimes, but generally you get the picture, and together with the area and terminal forecasts, can get a pretty complete picture of prevailing and developing weather.

In this context, I can recommend 'Weather Flying' by Robert Buck, although quite repetitive in parts, it does give very good advice on a lot of, ehem, weather flying :}

Enjoy :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Aug 2009, 05:01
For me, expanded VHF coverage is of far higher priority than XM weather!

I would like to be able to fly Townsville to Longreach (for example) at 10,000 and be able maintain continuous VHF comms with Centre - a requirement for IFR!

Would also be nice to be able to cancel SAR Watch on VHF in the circuit at...... Charters Towers, Hughenden etc etc

Dr :8

PlankBlender
29th Aug 2009, 05:15
hear hear :D

ksa5223
29th Aug 2009, 05:51
The only reason I won't upgrade my GPS to a Garmin is because XM Weather is not avbl

Ovation
29th Aug 2009, 10:30
Underneath the Radar wrote:

I believe that if you have the kit and the subscription that it may work on the east coast of Oz due to overlap from pacific satellites (I'm sure I read that somewhere).

Interesting - I wonder what sort of satellite data would be available if you did have an active subscription. Unlikely it would be local.

Peter Fanelli
29th Aug 2009, 13:41
There's nothing to stop Australia from having it.
Just find a private company willing to invest in the satellites.
Arrange for them to provide the service.
Arrange for data from an extensive network of ground based radar coverage to be sent to the satellite provider for dissemination to the subscribers.

hmmmmm

Well there's your problem.......Wx radar coverage in Australia is pretty sparse isn't it.
Probably pretty good up and down the east coast, but the rest of the country as usual gets the shaft.