PDA

View Full Version : action following a "RA" while cruising in the NA MNPS

roljoe
28th Aug 2009, 17:20
Hi all,

still preparing my ferry flight and reading a lot about..

but this concern remains "without clear answer"..(nothing found in the latest edition of NA mnps A, ops manual)

Following a "RA" in the North Atl Airspace..do you have to resume the original track and/or level, once the conflict is not anymore a threat ??

and this with or without ATC contact..??

Thanks to share your experience..

Rgds

Henry VIII
28th Aug 2009, 17:47
As per std behaviour in case of any RA, when "clear of conflict" resume original track and/or level.
On the airbus you can find details on QRH 1.12 or in FCOM 3. No note(s) related to the different kind of airspace where the advisory may affect the flight.
Of course informing ATC.
This in NAT it may not be as quick as when under radar control.
Hope this helps :)

Rainboe
28th Aug 2009, 19:58
Responding to an RA is to avoid a collision! You would be a fool indeed to not resume your previous course and cleared speed! There are rules about announcing what you are doing on the emergency frequency. But you could have aeroplanes 1000' above and below you- you get your ass back to where it belongs pronto! Not only for the rules and the clearance, but for common sense. Anything up to 10,000 people are probably sharing the NA airspace with you at that time.

roljoe
28th Aug 2009, 20:38
OK, thanks for the reply...

I totally agree with the logic of the system..but I'm still wondering Why this remains unspecified...!!!

It's so simple to add...When "clear of traffic"...resume the original level and track...in chapter 11.6...and no more question about..this..

Rainboe
28th Aug 2009, 21:21
Well it's specified in my notes! It is also common sense. It seems so blatantly obvious to me that is what you do that I would question the sanity of anybody who does not. Surely you don't think that flying under a clearance, if you should deviate, you should not immediately return to cleared altitude? Are you being serious in demanding chapter and verse of something so obvious, sensible and pragmatic? Are you imagining it's OK to gaily continue 600' off your cleared altitude because you can't apparently find it written down that you should obey your clearance? Are we being serious here?

Without being rude, I would suggest you forget hitting the N Atlantic until you have completed a lot more training! Airline crews have to go through a lot of training to do this- it seems bizarre to be potentially sharing airspace with someone with such a peculiar idea. There is no latitude on the N Atlantic, there are lots of passengers out there. Unless everyone knows what they are doing, there is danger- a cowboy loose on the N Atlantic is inviting disaster. Is that clear?

Spooky 2
28th Aug 2009, 22:16
Just to back up Rainboe's comments for a person operate within MNPS airspace they need "approval" from their repspective governing NAA. In the US you would need either an LOA if you are Part 91, or if 135/125/121, you would need OpSpecs approvals along with RVSM for both the airplane and crew. Now for some reason you don't have this and can prove it on demand, you should not be in the NAT/MNPS...period. If yoou think you can slip under the radar somehow, your in for a big suprise.:}

singpilot
28th Aug 2009, 22:38
roljoe;

Let us know how the 'blue spruce routes' look. Have not been required to be up there for many many years. A ferry flight will probably not get approval for MNPS RVSM. You might think you are getting away with it, but prior to entry, you'll stick out like a sore thumb to Shanwick or Gander, and when asked for bonafides (presumably missing in your filed plan), you'll be given vectors to Ireland or the Maritimes for re-route.

That usually involves above FL420, or below FL200. Or the aforementioned Greenland route.

Rotsa ruck.

Spooky 2
1st Sep 2009, 15:49
FYI, the Blue Spruce Routes are within MNPS airspace and state approval is needed prior to entry.