PDA

View Full Version : The next step.

flyboy1280
28th Aug 2009, 11:26
Hi, I'm an Aerospace Engineering University graduate who is looking to do my ATPL and somehow end up going into a flying career. I hold a current PPL and have been offered a place with a good FTO though, after reading through many of the forums most posts seem to recommend the modular route. Are there any benefits of doing an integrated course or am I simply wasting my money???

Cheers.

chickentikkamasala
28th Aug 2009, 14:17
I would say that unless the FTO you are about to sign up with can guarantee you employment afterwards which is highly unlikely, you could be about to waste a lot of money.

The downturn in the industry has only just begun so when you come out of your training in say 12 months time jobs for newly trained pilots will be very scarce.

Anybody who is aiming to finish their training before 2011 are ostriches.

If this FTO are saying that this is the right time to train then they are lying.

I would say the best route is to do a slow modular route.

You could start by building up more hours then in 12 months time take the ground exams separately which will be valid until 2013. In late 2011 start the rest of your training finishing no earlier than 2012.

Whatever you do don't let anyone pressurise or panic you into parting with large sums of money.

Other people will have differing opinions, but by waiting and constantly keeping your eye on the situation you will only be gaining more experience.

You will get there in the end.

That's my two pennies.

I have got my tin hat on.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Aug 2009, 14:38
flyboy1280,

I was in your situation 12 years ago. I had just finished my Beng in Aero and had a PPL with around 90 hours.

Firstly, I am guilty of this mind set when I was coming through the training phase, but, the modular, integrated debate is not worth thinking about. The bottom line is you will finish with the same qualifications which ever route you take. Looking back now, it really does not make any difference where you did your training, if you have all the right ticks in all the right boxes you are as employable as the next man with the same new blue shiney licence.

I joined an airline just over 2 years ago being a modular student, and have since flown with the gentleman that interviewed me. I was interested to know what the criteria is, when interviewing someone. In a nutshell it is all about the person. You must remember, that the above applies, you all have the same qualifications, however, are YOU suitable as a candiate that will fit into a team environment? Are you the sort of person to rub people up the wrong way, will you give crewing a hard time when your roster is not want you want, are you willing to go the extra mile, the list goes on.

On speaking with some of my colleagues who did go down the integrated road, it would appear that perhaps that route did open doors at the end of the training, in the respect of the school had ties with the airlines and there was a direct link to an interview, but it really is all about being in the right place at the right time.

With respect to the industry, it has to be said it is not a good time. But, on saying that, it has been ups and downs ever since I can remember. On a positive note, it can only get better! I have had my fair share of posts on this forum, and alot of the advice I have tried to give is the same. It might not happen straight away, in terms of getting a professional pilots job, you might have to wait years, I did, but if you are determined enough, and want it bad enough, nature will find a way and you will get to be where you want to be.

All the best.

smith
28th Aug 2009, 16:32
The next step?

Flipping burgers in McDonalds?

Sorry couldn't resist, however I don't even think your aeros degree will get you a job at the moment. The global recession is even hitting the manufacturers and will take a while to recover after the upturn.

Sit tight in the meantime, yes I know what its like itching to get it done, but waiting is the best advice at the moment.

flyboy1280
1st Sep 2009, 00:01
Ok, thank you for all the advice. Very useful.