PDA

View Full Version : Expertise

Captain Nomad
28th Aug 2009, 03:02
Latest Australian Aviation article 'Expertise' by Rob Fitzherbert should make for some interesting discussion on the old chestnut of 'experience' and its importance or lack thereof.

Quite a good explanation of how expert professionals can make some complex things look easy and why they might be better situated to recognise and deal with some situations because of that little word 'experience...'

Happy reading! :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Aug 2009, 05:02
Ahhhh EXPERIENCE!

When you haven't got any, you think its a crock of ****e!
And when you do - you finally get what its all about!

Dr :8

Back Pressure
28th Aug 2009, 06:16
When I've got some I'll let you know :uhoh:

Arnold E
28th Aug 2009, 11:32
At what point do you get experience????

the air up there
28th Aug 2009, 11:41
Experience something you have right after you needed it the most.

Mr. Hat
28th Aug 2009, 13:09
Experience in the wrong hands is more hazardous than inexperience.

I get very nervous when people start quoting numbers from their logbooks.

Experienced humble individuals are worth more than their managers could ever imagine. I work with a few and they are brilliant at their job. Just brilliant.

OZBUSDRIVER
28th Aug 2009, 13:21
Experience....is that like reading about yourself in a crash comic?

Starts with P
28th Aug 2009, 13:29
Familiarity breeds contempt :}

Howard Hughes
29th Aug 2009, 00:49
Experience: When you have been in situations, that you want to avoid in the future...:ok:

bushy
29th Aug 2009, 01:15
The apprenticeship lasts for 5000 hours.

Captain Nomad
29th Aug 2009, 10:57
Oh dear... I didn't mean this to be a place for those with experience to dump on those with little or less. := And I agree, humbled experience people are trumps.

I actually had in mind more of a view towards MPL/cost cutting/pilots just glorified bus drivers - worth nothing etc... This article helps to add a bit of credence to the career/profession and the value of experienced pilots in the mix.

Carry on! ;)

Shadowfromthesky
28th Sep 2009, 01:00
I am currently writting a project, well more like thesis, for Uni on the differences between expert and novice pilots - this particular articale in AA has been great and is a good read! Bit of a long shot, but would anyone on here know of anywhere (website or hardcopy) i could find material that is related to this stuff?

Shadow.

777WakeTurbz
28th Sep 2009, 02:44
Experience comes from experiencing something and living to tell the tale. :}

For example, I am not experienced in actual engine failures... yet, something which im sure is a bit more nerve wracking than the practice ones. :uhoh: But i guess practice on the simulated engine failures prepares you for experiencing a real one!!! :}

Horatio Leafblower
28th Sep 2009, 03:55
Shadow,

back in my day we had large buildings at our Uni called libraries.

These buildings were full of books and journals which were published to disseminate the writings of learned (and sometimes, not-so-learned) people who did experiments and such.

I am sure you are all over it but please tell me that 'research' at University these days does not consist of participating in a thread on an anonymous forum???

I am pretty sure your library access will include heaps of Aviation psych journals covering exactly this topic. You will probably find that there is online access through your Uni library to these journals, too.

No substitute for doing the legwork yourself :ok:

Jabawocky
28th Sep 2009, 06:29
One way to look at it.........

Expertise and Experience are not the same thing.

It could be said that you need lots of expertise to carry out a task, say dealling with an emergency.

Its your experience that may help you apply your expertise in such a manner that you become a hero rather than feature in the Crash Comic.

J:ok:

Charlie Oscar
28th Sep 2009, 07:53
Jabawocky, Excellent explanation of experience and expertise. You need not end up a hero but someone who handles any situation in a professional manner and arrives at the destination safely.:ok:

Arnold E
28th Sep 2009, 08:54
Yeah, maybe, expertise to handle an emergency and experience to recognise that you actually have a difficult situation developing.

sru
28th Sep 2009, 09:22
My take..

Expertise is the culmination of experience............:eek:

Without experience there cannot be expertise.

Expertise requires the above and recency in the task involved... to achieve the required outcome :ok:

the wizard of auz
28th Sep 2009, 10:34
Without experience there cannot be expertise.
Hmmm....... so why does the media keep referring to Geoff Thomas as an aviation expert?.:hmm: