PDA

View Full Version : New here- looking for contacts in OZ!

Westfallen
27th Aug 2009, 15:00
I work as an F-16 crew chief for the US Air Force. Sometime in 2011, I'd like to come to Australia and find work in aircraft maintenance, as my wife and kids live in the Ballarat area (long story http://www.airleague.com.au/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). There's very limited information on the web about foreigners coming to Australia for aviation work, and frankly, am looking for help/contacts. With the economy being the way it is, it seems like a long shot for me! I've looked into joining the RAAF, but probably don't have what it takes to make it through basic training again (F-16 landing gear tasks are terrible for the knees). I know limited information about requirements for AME licences, but that's about all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mister hilter
27th Aug 2009, 18:24
If you are going to be in the Ballarat area then look at Avalon. Forstaff do heavy maintenance for Qantas there (747) and Jetstar fly in and out with A319/320/321, but you'd probably need to be licenced for that. Failing that Melbourne (Tullamarine) is about an hour's drive up the road, where John Holland Aviation Services (JHAS) have a heavy maint base. Qantas main base for 737 heavy is there as well. Look (on line? - sorry don't know where you are based) at 'The Australian' newspaper. It has an aviation section every Friday. Or try 'Dununda and Godzone' on here to get a feel for the aviation industry in Aus.
Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Doors Off
28th Aug 2009, 07:07
Check out Australian Aerospace and Boeing, though I doubt that they have any contracts in Ballarat. Hope that this helps. Good luck and Welcome to when you get downunder.

MudRat_02
28th Aug 2009, 07:37
If you currently work on the F-16 as crew chief, perhaps there would be some form of lateral recruitment? I know some of our guys go and fly your kit in the states from time to time, and theres some interchangeability with other nations so I'd look into it. If you're open to non-military options, Avalon and Tullamarine might be options.

Pontius
28th Aug 2009, 10:00
I assume it's safe to say you have an Aussie permanent residency visa/citizenship, as you're married to a Sheila. If not, that's the first thing you're going to have to deal with.

After that, you're going to have to get your civilian qualifications sorted out because nobody is going to employ you in your present role as an 'F-16 Crew Chief'. They're going to need to see something that qualifies you according to their requirements and, whereas your experience is invaluable, your qualification as a Crew Chief means bugger-all in the civilian world.

Aircraft mechanics from all trades are still in relatively short supply, hence they are still being listed under the Skilled Migrant list for visas but, unfortunately for your case, they require the civilian licences.

It might be worth seeing if there is a transfer option from the USAF to the RAAF (thereby avoiding the basic training, running around bit that is so foreign to those not in the USMC or Army :)). I know that facility is open to HM Forces, so it might be a good way of getting to work in Oz for a yank. Sounds a lot less hassle than sitting all those exams and then still not having a job :ok: