PDA

View Full Version : Require a Headset

mractive
27th Aug 2009, 12:10
Hi, I Am currently looking for a good quality headset.

I am in two minds............

1) buy new and get something like a Lightspeed Thirty 3G, as I do plan on getting my ATPL eventually and it is reasonably priced.

2) As I have only just started my PPL go with a second hand David Clark off Ebay or someone who has a spare on here and upgrade as i progress.

Also is buying from the USA a feasible option at present exchange rates?

I have searched on here ALOT, but most posts eventually progress to how good ANR headsets are(Zulu, 50D, BOSE) but I am just wondering if its a bit of an overkill at the moment to get one?

Damn iv done too much research........:mad:

adverse-bump
27th Aug 2009, 14:33
Just go buy a new DC (david clark) head set, even there cheap ones are good and will last for ever. you'll never need another! I got one before my first solo, I still use it after 2000 hours of airline flying!

its broke after 4 1/2 years, so i sent it back and they fixed it for FREE

what more could you want.

FREQUENTFLYER1234
27th Aug 2009, 14:40
Get the Bose, I have a David Clarke that's been sitting in the corner for ages. I used it recently as I forgot my Bose, what a difference.

Using the David Clarke I was knackered after a days flying and had a sore throat from all the shouting I had been doing due to the poor sound quality.

It's Bose all the way for me!

mractive
27th Aug 2009, 14:40
but no bluetooth....ha

If i buy a second hand pair of DC's will they still repair them for free or do i need to have proof of purchase etc.

FREQUENTFLYER1234
27th Aug 2009, 14:48
Very true but it's probably not best to have a chat with my mates about getting hammered at the weekend when teaching engine shutdowns in a twin!

mractive
27th Aug 2009, 15:00
i hear good things from the bose headset but i cant really justify the costs at the minute. I do not want to put my hearing at risk though and i realise that you do pay for quality.

Maybe the BOSE headset can be a present for myself once i finish all my training

adverse-bump
27th Aug 2009, 18:07
you will need to send it back to the shop you bought it from NEW to have it fixed under warranty, thats what I did.

Dont listen to all the having to shout rubbish. DC are very good headset, and have been for years. if you have 800 quid to waste go buy the bose, no arguments they are probably an excellent toy.

mractive
27th Aug 2009, 18:26
i have read on here that people can get dc 13.4 for £200. I cant seem to find any for this price they all seem to be around 250. Is this to do with the currency rates or am i looking in the wrong places?

MIKECR
27th Aug 2009, 19:20
You dont need to send the DC's to the originial sales outlet to effect repair. The authorised repairer in the UK is HSL Headset Services based in Shoreham who look after all warranty issues for DC as well as Bose and a few others besides. On the earphone of the DC's is a 4 digit code which equates to the month and year of manufacturer. As long as the headest is less than 5 years old then you are covered by warranty, irrespective of how many hands may have owned the headset. Just send the headset along with a repair form which you can download on HSL's website and they will take care of the rest.

Happy Wanderer
27th Aug 2009, 20:12
I bought by Bose's second-hand on eBay about 3+ yrs ago (as I did my Serengeti's - yep, just call me a cheapskate!) and personally wouldn't use anythingelse. Best advice? Get the best you can possibly afford.

HW

Ben P-H
6th Sep 2009, 12:37
first post on these forums

From what i can tell, you really get what you pay for, so ide set how much your willing to spend and then get the best price on that.

What my instructor does is get those cheapskate ones that the flying schools have and put on some DC earseals on it... Its a bit of a stretch but thats the best value you will get, then up grade when you want to

172 Skyhawk
7th Sep 2009, 08:22
I use a David Clarke and it works just fine for me!

mractive
7th Sep 2009, 19:04
cheers guys, Iv been donated one by an extremely generous stranger from another advert i placed elsewhere on the Web. I appreciate all the help and pm's offering me headsets for very good prices but im not in need of one now. Thanks again.

Keep it country.

G-ONADS
9th Sep 2009, 20:16
DC and Telex is like having your head in a vice after an hour or two. I have two Bose Xs in my C177 and think they are great albeit expensive. I also have a Bose QC2 with the UFlyMike adaptor it is phenomenal in my work B737 and also in my own little airplane. Plus when you travel in the back you can use just the noise canceling bit sans microphone. The mike also has a plug in for your iPhone.