PDA

View Full Version : Opera version 10

piggybank
27th Aug 2009, 11:55
Opera have just updated my old Opera 10 beta 3 to the full street version and I must say it looks good. I started with the alpha version of Opera 10 in December 08 I think, so its been no rush to bring this one out. Worth a try if you are already into Opera.

frostbite
27th Aug 2009, 14:26
Wish I could agree with you. I've been using Opera for years but it started freezing a lot when I installed 9.64. I'm on 10b3 atm and that was just as bad until I got some advice on the Opera forum (and some abuse from a most unhelpful moderator!) and now it just freezes occasionally.

It's testing my loyalty, especially because I also use Firefox which is good.

frostbite
27th Aug 2009, 17:05
Funnily enough, I've just got back to the computer and found that Opera has updated itself to full v10 - unasked and unannounced until I restarted it!

Squawk7777
28th Aug 2009, 09:45
Funnily enough, I've just got back to the computer and found that Opera has updated itself to full v10 - unasked and unannounced until I restarted it!

hmmm, mine still says that 9.64 is the most up-to-date version. Questions for you users that experience opera crashes/freezes. Are you able to forcefully terminate the program through task manager? I cannot; the memory does not get released back. Sometimes, Opera crashes because of Adobe, but I have always been able to restart it right away.

frostbite
28th Aug 2009, 11:42
I always get the "This program is not responding" dialogue. Then, when I restart, I get the "Start from last time" option. This applies to the latest version I discovered!

Sometimes, if I wait for 30secs or so it clears itself and resumes. Wonderful!

anotherthing
28th Aug 2009, 14:27
What a coincidence - I was just looking into the merits of downloading a new browser last night - I had one of 3 in mind

Chrome
Firefox
or Opera.

I know they perform differently for different tasks, though Opera seems to be the best overall, but the issues mentioned in this thread concern me.

I'm wanting to change from IE7 basically to speed up web based mappping applications, suh as bikehike.co.uk - Home (http://www.bikehike.co.uk) as I use these sort of things for working out mountain bike routes etc, then downlaoding them to Garmin GPS to use as a satnav whilst cycling.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is the best (including such things as speed and stability) of the bunch??

Cheers

Squawk7777
28th Aug 2009, 15:14
I always get the "This program is not responding" dialogue. Then, when I restart , I get the "Start from last time" option. This applies to the latest version I discovered!

Sometimes, if I wait for 30secs or so it clears itself and resumes. Wonderful!

You're lucky, I cannot even restart or forcefully exit Opera. I need to restart Vista! :uhoh:

mart52
5th Sep 2009, 23:26
As an Opera user for several years (from before Firefox appeared), I can say I think this is a good upgrade... it works faster than 9.64, no stability (or other) problems so far.
I prefer Opera to Firefox mainly because I think there are more user options that suit my preferences (toolbars, options etc.) ... and old habits "die hard"
I am on XP pro on a fairly new box... the fact my daughter's Vista Laptop was using over 1G of memory before starting to do anything persuaded me to stick with XP !!!
Regards
Martin

BombayDuck
6th Sep 2009, 02:00
anotherthing - If bandwidth isn't an issue, why not download all three and try each of them for a week? Since they are free, they will not take much from you than a few minutes on broadband.

Personally, I'm a Firefox fan. 3.5 is very good, I upgraded just last week. And the add-ons available for it (especially one, which I won't mention on this forum ;) ) make it truly worthwhile.

That said, I suspect Chrome is marginally faster. But I dislike Chrome's interface and its lack of handy controls.

Not used Opera for years now, and since Opera's shortcuts are slightly different from IE/Firefox/Chrome, I don't think I'll go back.

Mac the Knife
6th Sep 2009, 07:11
Technically, I reckon Opera is the best of all browsers.

The email integration is brilliant.

:ok:

ZEEBEE
10th Sep 2009, 06:31
Technically, I reckon Opera is the best of all browsers.

Couldn't agree with you more Mac

Every time I try any of the others, I come running back to Opera every time.

The email integration is great and since they included the html editing capability, I've COMPLETELY dropped Thunderbird, Outlook et al for my mailing needs.

The mail program still provides the best and fastest search engine for my email requirements.

Now that they have "unite" working, I can use my Opera browser as a server as well.

Light years ahead of the others in my opinion.

ZEEBEE
10th Sep 2009, 06:38
Wish I could agree with you. I've been using Opera for years but it started freezing a lot when I installed 9.64. I'm on 10b3 atm and that was just as bad until I got some advice on the Opera forum (and some abuse from a most unhelpful moderator!) and now it just freezes occasionally.

FrostBite....Sounds like you have a serious issue there!

I would be inclined to install the version 10 as a NEW install and see what happens.

If you're still having problems, then it may point to another serious issue with your computer such as a virus, spyware or the like.

One thing I have seen with both Opera and FireFox (refuse to run Internet Exploder) is that if you run several anti-Virus programs, they fight amongst each other and your browser is the victim.

Squawk7777
10th Sep 2009, 10:45

Too bad it doesn't work with yahoo or hotmail. :sad:

ZEEBEE
10th Sep 2009, 16:11
Too bad it doesn't work with yahoo or hotmail.

That's the good news! Who seriously use those ?

Mac the Knife
10th Sep 2009, 18:23
Hotmail POP3 Configuration

Incoming Server: pop3.live.com
Incoming Port: 995
SSL Encryption: yes
Outgoing Server: smtp.live.com
Outgoing port: 25 (use port 587 if the default port is not working)
Authentication: yes
TLS Or SSL: yes:ok:

And for Yahoo, go to - YPOPs! :: Free POP3/SMTP Access to Yahoo! Mail (http://ypopsemail.com/) and try it. And its free

:ok:

Mac

BigJoeRice
12th Sep 2009, 16:36
I'm not really a power computer user, more like a Luddite with laptop so I'm not really demanding of applications. I have expunged IE for Firefox but I thought I'd try Opera based on this thread because my Firefox seems to be getting a bit sluggish of late. It seems to load and scroll a bit quicker on my Sony Vaio than FF, and the interface and the default options seem to work better for me; plus I don't seem to get as many pop-ups so for now it's checked satis.

BombayDuck
13th Sep 2009, 13:58
That's the good news! Who seriously use those ?

A few million people?

There are those of us, you know, who value portability above most other features in our email. And hence, I have used my web-based service from a dozen different places with ease, and have never had trouble with it. Just because you don't need one, doesn't mean we don't!