PDA

View Full Version : Recently applied for CX cadet pilot program application

jelvinsoh
27th Aug 2009, 03:33
Has anyone gotten any call backs from Cathay Pacific regarding their application for a cadet pilot program with the airline?

satwikroy
27th Aug 2009, 05:35
i thought Cathay Pacific Cadet PIlot Program was only for HONG KONG residents
r u a hong kong resident
if not then please let us know if Cathay Pacific has made any policy changes regarding its pilot training
please reply as soon as possible !!!!!

LMM21
27th Aug 2009, 05:49
I applied mid August and I live in the UK. The cadet scheme is open to all nationalities. I think the first round of interviews is being held in september. :ok:

VT-ASM
27th Aug 2009, 10:18
Nope, nothing here mate...
clean inbox...

satwikroy
28th Aug 2009, 04:38
tha cx cadet pilot program mentions its requirements that either the cadet should have done schooling in HK or should hold a diploma or degree(nationality no bar) .
MY question is that since i am doing a four year degree course so can I apply for the cadetship with my result marksheets of 7 semesters while I wait for my 8th semester result & its marksheet???
pls reply as soon as possible!!!!

jelvinsoh
28th Aug 2009, 09:10
Im not sure if its restricted to Hong Kong residents only.
Im Singaporean and was unsuccessful in my application for Singapore airlines.
Ive found out that there arent alot of airlines offering cadet programs so no harm trying for Cathay.

As for the educational standards, i was educated based on the similar system as what i believed the HK pple are in. So i dont think that would be an issue i hope.

jelvinsoh
28th Aug 2009, 11:24
LMM21: Any idea on how the arrangement is gonna be like? do we have to be in Hongkong for the interview and tests?
Yea i applied mid august too.

satwikroy
28th Aug 2009, 11:37
hmmm...
i am confused about the same

satwikroy
28th Aug 2009, 11:40
i think the interview will be conducted in country of our preference as they give us a choice of it while filling the online form

however I have another question

Since I have done my schooling in India with Physics & Mathematics as my primary subjects will that be a problem for me while fulfilling the minimum education criteria?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

pls reply as quickly as possible!!!

LMM21
28th Aug 2009, 17:28
Im not sure about that. During the application process there was a choice of interview countries you could choose from and I know that some interviews are being held in september in London.

FL999
28th Aug 2009, 18:02
Applied 3 months ago and still no answer! it is open to all nationalities btw! If anyone gets an answer please let us know :ok:

jelvinsoh
29th Aug 2009, 16:08
Well hopefully we get the interview.. So if anyone gets a call, Please share!! lets try to keep this thread alive!!

For educational standards, since they are opened for global applications, why not jus apply and let them decide if its eligible. No point speculating eh? If you dont try, you wont know!! All the best ya??

Captain_Tones
31st Aug 2009, 11:44
hey guys, i just went on an introduction flight with a instructor who went through the cathay pacific pilot program.

im just wondering if anyone can post the link for an application.. everytime i click on it on the website it doesnt work..

please write back ASAP!

dont wanna miss out considering im in my last year of schooling!

Captain_Tones
31st Aug 2009, 12:05
i just tried to apply for it but i didnt meet its minimum requirements! :(

i passed everything but i dont turn 18 until december and i think thats why i didnt meet requirements... its so stupid! i will be 18 by next year when they start the schooling!

StandardToaster
31st Aug 2009, 20:35
Captain_Tones

Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/cadetpilot_requirements)

Do you really meet all the requirements? 18 means 18! Not 17.5

Captain_Tones
1st Sep 2009, 06:41
Obviously i know 18 means 18,:ok:
I pass all other requirements except the 18 years of age which i will be in three months!

Cap2B
5th Sep 2009, 07:41
Just recently applied for the CX program and anxiously waiting a reply. BTW I think Captain_Tones should just apply :rolleyes:... no harm in trying if by end of the year you'll be the required age. Good luck!!!:ok:

projclk
8th Sep 2009, 09:12
Hi guys, this is my first post but I've actually been reading these forums for some time now.

Just wanna get a general opinion from you guys.

Been wanting to apply for the CX international cadetship but I'm not sure now's such a good time to do so.

Would they:

1. Prefer someone with ZERO hours (as in my only experience in any aircraft is of those on ground and when I'm going somewhere on holiday. not even an introductory flight.)?

2. Someone with at least a bit, maybe lets say 20hrs, of experience in the air?

Should I:

1. Go get some hours on a PPL course to clock some hours, then I apply later. Though I'm a little worried that this international hiring thing won't last since it seems no one is sure when the applications' closing date is. Then again, when the economy picks up (hopefully in a few years time), IF they're still hiring internationally, they should increase the cadetship intake right?

2. Just apply now. Though I'm not sure how I can prove that I'm passionate about flying if I don't even have an hour in the air. Hence I can't really differentiate myself from all the other wannabes out there (I'll probably be worse off) and therefore my chances will be as slim as I was 10 yrs ago.

Help?What say you?

If you're seeing this for the second time I hope I'm not pissing anybody off, and I apologise. Just wanna make sure this gets noticed.

nickyboy007
8th Sep 2009, 09:29
Does anyone know when the deadline is for applications for the Cadet Programme ?

Many Thanks Nick

boquera
9th Sep 2009, 10:56
triples: if what you are saying is true about them looking for mildly exoerienced folk then why do they say this on their website

"You need not have previous flying experience..................."

if what they are looking for is previous flying experience, surely thats just unfair. Maybe the guys who have got through just applied first.

I personally have been into aviation since i was very young. in the past few years I haven't been able to afford to pay for flying hours as it isn't the cheapest of activities is it really?

Wannabe Mike
9th Sep 2009, 14:23
Boquera,

Your post intrigues me. I think that it is quite reasonable for CX to expect candidates to have a few flying hours under their belt. They are sponsoring aspiring airline pilots in order for them to obtain a fATPL and then go on to work as flight crew for the airline. A big investment right?

If I were on the interview panel I would expect to see at least a few hours flown in a light aircraft. How do you know that you even like flying enough to persue it as a career if you haven't ever sat inside a spam can?

It's a good indicator of an individual's commitment and passion for aviation, granted not the only one I know. You are correct when you say flying isn't the cheapest of activities, however if aviation is your PASSION, you will put aside every other activity in order to persue it, it's all about drive and determination.

CX have to sort the men from the boys and one good way to do that is to look at past flying experince is it not? Competition will be fierce, especially in the current economic climate......

boquera
9th Sep 2009, 15:53
maybe you are right but at the moment its not about putting everything else to one side as I don't have a job at the moment to pick and choose what to put aside

in uni it was rent, food etc to pay for-no matter how much I wanted to do it i knew it wasn't financially viable for myself to be spending money on things that could be considered extravagances-such as £150 ish an hour flying lessons.

when you look at 'normal' jobs - they (most of the time) make it clear if no experience is required or if they indeed do want experience - what i was saying is that with something like this they should say if "You need not have previous flying experience..................." means they want some or not.

projclk
11th Sep 2009, 17:55
"If I were on the interview panel I would expect to see at least a few hours flown in a light aircraft. How do you know that you even like flying enough to persue it as a career if you haven't ever sat inside a spam can?" - wannabe mike

This makes a lot of sense.

However, at the same time, I've heard that cadet courses such as CX's prefer potential cadets not to have training at all as they would like their cadets to be trained to fly the "CX way" ...or some BS like that. So how true is that?

Definitely, a few hours under the belt would be a smarter decision I would say.

Why can't airlines just spell out their selection criteria? Minimum criteria (is there a plural for criteria?) are just very misleading.

boquera
12th Sep 2009, 09:59
Why can't airlines just spell out their selection criteria? Minimum criteria (is there a plural for criteria?) are just very misleading

exactly-they are muy frustrating!!!!

Wannabe Mike
12th Sep 2009, 10:44
The airline industry is not unique in how they spell out their selection crtieria for cadets or any other job role for that matter.

Employers DO tell candidates the MINIMUM requirements that they expect to see for the advertised post- in any industry. In the case of CX, according to Boqeura's post they state, "You need not have flying experience....."

This is worded to imply that you do not need any flying experience, fair enough. However, they have stated their requirements have they not? You don't need any hours. They have worded their advert in such a way as to not exclude any potential suitable candidtaes.

In the industry I work in I have recently become involved in recruiting consultants for our business. We state the minimum requirements that we require of candidates when we advertise the job. When the CVs come in, alot of the people exceed the requirements and are still suitable for the role. Guess who we bring to interview? Perhaps this is just a sign of the times- an employer's market as a result of the recession.

My point is that they (CX) have stated their MINIMUM requirements. It's just that the people coming forward exceed these and luckily for them appear to be the type of people CX are after, much akin to how the recruitment process works in my industry.

Of course what I have written could all be complete s***e :}. Just offering an insight into how it works in the industry I currently work in.

projclk
13th Sep 2009, 16:44
criteria - PLURAL
criterion - SINGULAR!!!!!!!!

wannabe mike -
I understand the point you are making. I myself am finding it hard to secure a job in aviation (engineering) cos of the economic slump everyone's in.

However, I feel that the minimum criteria stated by airlines are mostly BS because these criteria aren't realistic at all. Cos of the sheer number of wannabe pilots, unless you're really really young, most of the applicants who apply will exceed the minimum criteria. Hence most, if not all, of those accepted will have exceeded stated minimum criteria by far.

Realistically, if I only have whatever qualifications stated and not do anything beyond their criteria, I don't think I stand a chance. At the same time, me, being s*** for brains, will think 'hey I have the minimum requirements, I may just stand a chance!'.
When realistically, I don't. MISLEADING MAN! False hope sucks.

jelvinsoh
14th Sep 2009, 08:26
Hello peeps!

From the previous posts, i understand that candidates in UK are already in their 2nd stage of the interview/selection process.
I am jus wondering if anyone from Singapore has applied and gotten a feedback or call up from them?
I've applied in Mid-Aug and have not gotten any calls or replies from CX. Am getting a bit worried and disappointed.

Mark Roland
27th Sep 2010, 12:05
I thought tat they will consider you as long as u r 18 wen the flying course star:ok:

kaufmansj
27th Sep 2010, 13:29
However, at the same time, I've heard that cadet courses such as CX's prefer potential cadets not to have training at all as they would like their cadets to be trained to fly the "CX way" ...or some BS like that. So how true is that?

I worked for cathay pacific but not as an inflight crew. I remember when I was interviewed, the HR personnel told us that it doesn't matter if we have experience or not. Then she added that one advantage of starting from scratch so we can be trained the CX way from the get go. I just don't know if it applies to their cadet training. I for one have no flying experience at all but i'm giving it a try. who knows, i might get lucky.

Groundloop
27th Sep 2010, 14:20

I worked for cathay pacific but not as an inflight crew. I remember when I was interviewed, the HR personnel told us that it doesn't matter if we have experience or not. Then she added that one advantage of starting from scratch so we can be trained the CX way from the get go. I just don't know if it applies to their cadet training. I for one have no flying experience at all but i'm giving it a try. who knows, i might get lucky.

I know one CX cadet who completed the Integrated course at Oxford and CX have required him to start the ATPL all over again in Adelaide - but at least they are paying for it!

SW1
27th Sep 2010, 14:42
From what I know, it seems to be an hours requirement. This is what I was told on my stage 3. If you want information on the whole cadet scheme, please go to the Fragrant Harbour wannabes section to avoid duplication of threads.

Anyway:

If you have under 250 hours total time - Full 61 week course in Adelaide

If you have more than 250 hours but less than 1500 hours - 32 week course in ADL

If you have 1500 hours or more - 12 week finesse course

Straight from a presentation I was given whilst at Cathay City for stage 3

Mark Roland
27th Sep 2010, 15:26
i thought they said tat if u do not receive a call / email in 2 months, it means tat u have failed.

Smell the Coffee
27th Sep 2010, 16:45
Guys, there is a MASSIVE and VERY INFORMATIVE thread over in Fragrant Harbour Wannabes section, is there really a need for this thread moderators?

Guys, I suggest you navigate over to Fragrant Harbour and read the entire thread >>> it will most probably answer all your questions.