PDA

View Full Version : NY Helicopter takes off with GPU attached

birrddog
27th Aug 2009, 01:37
A Zip Over (Sightseeing tour operator) Helicopter tried to take off today with the GPU still attached at Westchester County Airport (KHPN).

I heard damage to the landing gear and tail boom.

I believe no injuries.

Either a Jet Ranger or Long Ranger.

Will try to see if I can get one of the pictures taken tomorrow.

SASless
27th Aug 2009, 01:49
Like this is the first time folks have tried to take the GPU along with them?:oh:

griffothefog
27th Aug 2009, 03:10
With the strength of the AW139 batteries, it's become a legitimate underslung load round these parts :{

SASless
27th Aug 2009, 03:17
Built in safety feature Griffo....hopefully the Batteries are weaker than the tail booms!:eek:

krypton_john
27th Aug 2009, 20:53
Surprised the connector isn't designed to break free when this happens.

JTobias
28th Aug 2009, 08:39
Folks,

Are you not allowed to do this then? :\

TukTuk BoomBoom
28th Aug 2009, 09:11
Surprised the connector isn't designed to break free when this happens. Yesterday 10:17
Surprised the connector isn't designed to break free when this happens. Yesterday 10:17

Surprised the connector isn't designed to break free when this happens

Like the tie downs are supposed to when you forget about them too?
If you are going to forget when the GPU is attached you should have stayed in bed..

:rolleyes:

FairWeatherFlyer
5th Sep 2009, 12:08
If you are going to forget when the GPU is attached you should have stayed in bed..

Or fly something with better visibility of external appendages:

In flight - The Big Picture - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/08/in_flight.html#photo9)

PlasticCabDriver
5th Sep 2009, 13:20
Seem to remember asking that question as the last one at the end of various ground cat checks:

"You lift to the hover and the a/c rolls left and pitches nose down. What has happened?"

After much umming and aaahing from the victim and random guesses about tail winds and rigging problems it was time to put them out of their misery

"No, you've left the GPU attached. Cat over, well done etc etc" (I only asked it if they had done fairly well, seemed a bit harsh to do it and then tell them that they had failed!)

Not sure they all appreciated my oh-so-funny joke.