PDA

View Full Version : Netherthorpe to Newquay VFR

liam548
26th Aug 2009, 16:48
After recently obtaining my PPL I have been looking at the charts thinking of routes I would like to do and places I would like to visit.

At some point (maybe next year) when I feel I have a little more experience and confidence I would like to do the above trip, or something similar maybe with a different departure airfield.

I have been looking at the Southern CAA 1/2 million chart and after a few minutes decided that the following route might be a good one.
Posting here to get people thoughts on it and opinions. Anyone done similar flights?
This is just one of many trips I would like to one day to complete.

Route:-
Netherthorpe to Telford (passing Alton Towers) and possibly via Stafford >
Stafford to Worcester then south passing Gloucester and to Frome VRP would ensure under Bristols CTA (D) > then South West on 110nm leg to Newquay avoiding most of the high ground passing Taunton and Launceston.

??

;)

west lakes
26th Aug 2009, 16:56
You would probably be better carrying on the extra few miles to Perrenporth. Sadly at the moment NQY have little facilities for GA.
Having said that NQY radar covers a 60 mile radius so can give you a service.
On fine summer weekends traffic levels can be high with over 100 movements through the area!

Before anyone jumps in they have a dispensation to increase their coverage above the more normal 40 miles.

julian_storey
26th Aug 2009, 18:13
Newquay are quite happy to accept GA, but it'll cost ya :ouch:

I'd agree with the previous post that Perrenporth is probably a better bet :ok:

west lakes
26th Aug 2009, 18:20
NQY fees from their website
1. Landing Fee £8.00 per metric tonne of
MTOW
Aircraft of 5 or less metric
tonnes of MTOW

Aircraft Parking Fee Free first two hours -
£2.00 per metric tonne of
MTOW per 24 hours
Aircraft of up to 5 metric
tonnes of MTOW

liam548
26th Aug 2009, 18:37
£8 and £2 parking..

Thanks for the replies. What do you think of the routing, anything obvious I have missed?

liam548
26th Aug 2009, 20:14
They might be the landing fees, but last time I went handling was mandatory and expensive.:ouch:

Perranporth is better for a little un if it's VFR.

On the other hand, if you are a fresh PPL yhere are loads of shorter trips that are good to do. How about Caernarfon if you want the sea side?

Yes I would like to visit Caernarfon at some point too. As I said this trip is not going to be done until at least next year. It would be to visit family. Just wondered if people had any opinions on the routing.

Fly-by-Wife
26th Aug 2009, 22:44
Whatever the route you take, have several contingency plans for weather!

Plan for having to wait a day or even longer to make the return trip, given the capricious nature of UK weather.

FBW