PDA

View Full Version : New school year postponed ?

h3dxb
26th Aug 2009, 15:23
Gents

Any news on this ?

Gulfnews: H1N1 fears may set school opening back (http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Health/10343530.html)

The government want to postpone the beginning of new school year till November. Decision will be done in 2 weeks, but school will start in one week.

??

What are the news from your school ...

kotakota
26th Aug 2009, 16:18
What is the point ?
If kids are not in school , they are hanging out together , going to malls etc , how is it NOT going to spread ?
Despite all the public notices etc everybody still needs to shake hands / kiss cheeks etc , nothing changes .
Bring it on , its going to happen anyway.

Schibulsky
26th Aug 2009, 16:52
They probably just want to wait and see how many families are coming back after Eid :ooh: and if its worth to start a new school year with the two kids per class :eek:

411A
26th Aug 2009, 16:54
And besides, this H1N1 influenza is not normally as potent as many other strains...just more of it around.
Looking at the USA as one indicator, 36,000 die of flu every year, on average.
According to the CDC, it is unlikely to change much this time around.
Of course, it's panic-stations with many...start school and let it happen, as it will anyway.
Many schools now in the USA have hired extra folks to scrub down desks, railings, tables, chairs etc nightly in the hope that the poor little dears don't start dropping like flys.:rolleyes:

mikevan
26th Aug 2009, 18:02
411A,
What is wrong with you? You certainly can't have small kids in school this year. Do get some help.

skysod
26th Aug 2009, 18:29
I agree with 411A.....why is everyone getting so hysterical about a strain of 'flu which is no worse than any other.....yet another example of the media creating the news!

Duh
26th Aug 2009, 20:57
Becauase as usual it's the mis-informed, un-informed, un-educated making the decisions. 411A, spot on. :}

Nightfire
27th Aug 2009, 02:49
EXACTLY! Panic, hysteria and make-themselves-importants.

I wonder if those people who won't send their kids to school anymore have also never taken one of Abu Dhabis "Golden Taxis"?

What will come, will come. Did you never touch a water-tap, shake hands with somebody, sit on the seat of a train, breathe the air inside a closed building, drink from a can, or even pat your sweet little dog on the head?

H1N1 may be dangerous, but so are millions of other viruses all around us all the time. If you want to be 100% safe, stop breathing.

h3dxb
27th Aug 2009, 03:49
Schibulsky, good point. Like everytime :ok:

But for me is interesting: School year starts at 06SEP, the decision will be done in 2 weeks. Do they wanna close only the national schools ? Does anyone got an info from their school ?

Funny country, now the jump on the train.....:ugh:

greenpeace98
27th Aug 2009, 03:50
I am with you Nightfire.

Al Fakhem
27th Aug 2009, 06:54
How many people die every year as a result of common flu? Exactly....

How many people die every years in car accidents? Exactly......

Common sense, pahleeseee

Mike.Park
27th Aug 2009, 10:52
MADNESS!

The Swine Flu information page on the St Christopher's school website in Bahrain is most amusing - it has a list of requirements set out by the Govt of Bahrain and the responses from the school itself.

Govt: The temperature of all students and staff will be taken each morning on
arrival at school

St Chris: Taking the temperature of approximately 2,500 people each morning – without each having to queue a long time, is not going to be an easy task! To speed up the whole process, St Christopher’s is sourcing contact-less thermometers which take body temperature by simply pointing the instrument at a person’s forehead.

zk229
28th Aug 2009, 00:53
Interesting to hear how your part of the world is coping.

New Zealand is coming out of winter and as such out of the main flu season.
Back in mid June we like Aus had a rapid and unrestrainable escalation in swine flu.

Response was switched from isolation of individuals to management/containment.
Basically stay at home
Ring the GP – don’t go into his surgery
Specific swine flu centers were set up to cope as primary point of assessment if needed.
Education campaigns were prevalent re wash hands/alcohol cleanser/masks provided outside many businesses/organizations point of entry.
Occasional schools were closed for a week to break a cycle of contact.

The effectiveness of these measures is obviously hard to quantify.
Intensive care units at hospitals were significantly busier at what is already a peak time.
Significant numbers of people (@3060 confirmed however possibly 20 thousand+ more unreported) are suspected to have contracted the swine flu and although worse than a normal dose coped in the normal manner at home.
(NZ population @ 4mil)
Young people and those with underlying conditions were more susceptible (finally an advantage in all those candles!!!)
The flu seems to affect the respiratory system more.
Deaths were recorded @26 with +ve test of virus and 13 more maybe’s.
Concerning was a small number of these that had no previous issues.

The lessons:

Very lucky H1N1 doesn’t seem to have the horse power initially suspected.
Oh what a small place the world is now
Our beloved silver budgies are the modern day mosquito
For what it’s worth on my “news paper /page number/hysteria rating”I estimate at the June peak it was page 1 for a mere 2-3 weeks; page 3-5 for the same and now mostly AWOL and business as usual.

Similar to reading about 7-10% unemployment- it doesn’t seem to matter until its 100% YOU!!!
We are all the better for a practice run cos next time??????
And if so –aviation---oops!!!

Bandit FO
28th Aug 2009, 13:37
The best thing I've read today!

what_goes_up
28th Aug 2009, 14:23
Hey, I just figured out a way to keep those flashing locals off my ass. I am going to get a bumper sticker that Says, "I have Swine Flu, Stay Back", with little piglets running across the bottom of the sticker. Anyone else want one?
TOGA! I'm in!! :ok::D

kingpost
28th Aug 2009, 15:05
4HP

Can't you block 411A from the ME forum please.

INLAK
28th Aug 2009, 15:26
For once I find myself agreeing with 411A......I must be sick...maybe it's swine-flu! :}

Saying that, I'm surprised his post didn't claim that sitting in a TriStar cures swine-flu and all other known ailments. :E

EGGW
29th Aug 2009, 06:25
Nothing wrong with 411a's post this time. Carry on...

EGGW

ironbutt57
29th Aug 2009, 06:49
More likely to die in a half-dead Tristar than you are of swine flu:}

411A
29th Aug 2009, 18:56
More likely to die in a half-dead Tristar than you are of swine flu

Maybe...or a rear ender from a local...and not from a car or SUV.:}

h3dxb
2nd Sep 2009, 11:42
Gents

Don't know, but I like 411A. He remembers me of an old teacher of mine, with his experience, You puppies should learn from him.

From You guys I did not even get one small info about my question. Hijacked and taken away this thread it was. Nothing new in PPrune. And You guys fly my planes. Super, will remember next time I have a beer with a pilot.

I will safe my money and will invite the engineer !!!:ugh:

Flying Spag Monster
2nd Sep 2009, 12:01
h3dxb, sorry to hear you got rear ended by an old teacher of yours. err, that was what you were trying to say wasn't it ??

h3dxb
2nd Sep 2009, 15:16
@ Flying Spag Monster

What ever this means. With the shown attitude here in PPrune, I refuse to fly with a ME carrier. Some of You guys have not a little bit education. 411A is sometimes a little bit out of space, but he has more experience than some of you. But this people build up the aviation, they lived for it. What can You show ?

Have to correct myself, will not safe money when I invite an engineer. Even in drinking they are better than a flying ch?mp.:suspect:

BYMONEK
3rd Sep 2009, 03:40
And I quote:

"Some of You guys have not a little bit education"

Oh, the sheer irony of it! :D

Bandit FO
3rd Sep 2009, 11:00
Engish, do you speak it M"£$%%^(%$R!?

Jules Pitt

halas
3rd Sep 2009, 16:08
Don't worry, l think he is Master Yoda :8