PDA

View Full Version : An-12 crash Brazzaville Congo 26th August

AAL
26th Aug 2009, 12:10
Anybody have more news about an alleged An-12 crash at Brazzaville today (26 Aug 2009)?

GarageYears
26th Aug 2009, 12:42
Republic of Congo plane with 4 crew crashes
(AP) – 1 hour ago
BRAZZAVILLE, Republic of Congo — A transport official says a small cargo plane with at least four people aboard has crashed into a cemetery in Republic of Congo.
Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Emile Ouosso says an Antonov 12 cargo plane with a pilot and three crew members aboard crashed around 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Ouosso said the number of victims was not yet known but that rescue teams were on their way to the scene, a cemetery in a southern suburb of Brazzaville.
The four-engine turboprop Antonov 12 is commonly used to transport cargo in Africa and in former Soviet Union states.
Republic of Congo is located in Central Africa and is often overshadowed by its much larger neighbor, Congo.

BarbiesBoyfriend
26th Aug 2009, 14:05
Never heard an AN-12 described as 'small' before.

Must be about the size of a C-130.

PaperTiger
26th Aug 2009, 14:34
Crash: Aero-Fret AN12 at Nganga Lingolo on Aug 26th 2009, impacted ground in a cemetery (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41ecf6fe&opt=0)

cessnapuppy
26th Aug 2009, 15:21
Crash: Aero-Fret AN12 at Nganga Lingolo on Aug 26th 2009, impacted ground in a cemetery They are at least becoming more efficient.

HansFlyer
27th Aug 2009, 06:52
Real bad but I can't help but think:

I just hope the S&R teams are not going to recover more bodies than those of the 4 crew members that were on board? :)

HF

jagunmolu
27th Aug 2009, 07:18
Ruskie,African, vodka or sepe,enough of this disasters,very sad indeed,guys wake up,how come these eastern types always arrive Short,anything to do with Alt settings?metres to feet?flew eastern types during pilot trg,we had a lot of wrong Alt confusion in those days as youngsters with convesrions,what a pity,My heart goes out,My people obviously die probably for lack of awareness,nothings wrong with these types.RIP

V1... Ooops
27th Aug 2009, 07:23
ROTFL...

If the 'rescue' teams are not carefully trained and supervised, the death toll could run into the hundreds...

Beechdrivr
28th Aug 2009, 05:58
Barbiesboyfriend, the AN12 is a big turboprop but nowhere near the size of a C130 :)

Jagunmolu, i do agree that there is nothing wrong with those types of aircraft but if they're not serviced properly... and i'm sure that most are not, then you will continue reading about crashes involving these types of aircraft. The sad truth my friend :(

Safe flying BD :ok:

Cave Troll
28th Aug 2009, 06:34
Beechdriver

I am not sure which an12 you have been looking at. I have flown L382 {the civie version of a C-130 all be it slightly larger.....incase you did not know} and although it is bigger than an AN12 they are of very similar size. Of course payload and performance is another story all together.

CT

BUSHJEPPY
28th Aug 2009, 07:47
Aerofret has been recorded by Antonov Design Bureau as operating AN-12's that are no more airworthy:

AntonovList1 (http://www.icao.int/fsix/AntonovList1.cfm)

wonder if TN-AIA is not one of these, only the airframe MSN would tell...

Newforest2
28th Aug 2009, 14:47
Consensus is that it was TN-AIA, msn 6344607 which is not on that list. That list is over two years out of date though.

Beechdrivr
30th Aug 2009, 08:22
Cave Troll thanks for that, having flown the Herc as well and having operated in theatres where both the aircraft were operational. I might not have used the correct phraseology to describe the sizes of the two aircraft :O. The Herc is substantially larger than the An-12, the payload difference being around 8 tonnes in favour of the Herc. But thanks for setting me straight :)

Apologies for the thread drift guys.
Anyways safe flying BD:ok:

Cave Troll
30th Aug 2009, 18:13
Beech

Am always happy to help? Ofcourse those operators of the An12 in africa tend to try out do the herc with the payload and this is the result.