PDA

View Full Version : Reliable, Fast, Web Host

finallyflying
26th Aug 2009, 11:16
Hi guys,
Looking for a good web host.

I don't want to host a website, but merely want to keep some personal documents on a server to access when I travel, back up some music and photos, etc.

Anyone have experience with a very reliable host, that you might care to recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Sprogget
26th Aug 2009, 11:20
Dropbox. Free for less than 2gb. Have been using it for a few weeks, I find it works very well indeed.

finallyflying
26th Aug 2009, 14:56
Thanks Sprogget, appreciate the response.

I should have added two further requirements:
1. Not free (as Id be afraid that if something goes wrong Id get "Well, its free, so tough)
2. Someone can recommend on the basis of a year or two's use ... that would be awesome.

Thanks heaps!

green granite
26th Aug 2009, 15:06
Does not your IP have such facilities available? Mine (BT) has, free for upto 2G pay if you want more.

PPRuNeUser0171
27th Aug 2009, 08:47
ISP.

And be careful about uploading files to the net as they'll be publically available for anyone with a net connection.

green granite
27th Aug 2009, 09:05
And be careful about uploading files to the net as they'll be publically available for anyone with a net connection.

Not necessarily, access to mine is password protected, Whilst passwords can be broken if they are strong enough then it's unlikely, secondly if they are sensitive then encrypt them before uploading.

PPRuNeUser0171
27th Aug 2009, 10:05
Yes I know this.

it has to be set up.

How many people would bother?

Keef
27th Aug 2009, 10:26
Most reliable ISPs provide webspace. You can usually check what "backup" arrangements they have. In the UK, I use UKFSN and PlusNet. Both have occasional outages, and backup hasn't been operational - so if you need 100% you'll need to pay more.

I also use a US provider, mysite4now.com who (as far as I know) have never hiccupped. They were recommended to me by a good friend who knows a lot about this stuff, and swears by them. Price is reasonable, and I've not had any problems.

For security on your website: read up on .htaccess. It works well on the members-only pages of our Group booking website. If the files you want to hide aren't too obvious in the filename, it will take a determined hacker to find them with that in operation.

finallyflying
25th Apr 2010, 11:53
Just for the benefit of others, I'll answer my own question here ... and I went with mediatemple in the US - $20 a month and Ive been delighted with it.