PDA

View Full Version : Advice or help appreciated

PQian06
26th Aug 2009, 00:52
Hi Guys

Long time viewer, first time registered poster.

Before anyone says otherwise I have had a look in the DG forum but could not find what I need. To the point, I am very interested in doing the Sharp Airlines cadetship and would like to know where graduates have ended up? Do most graduates find the FO time useful in gaining a regional job straight out of the course or is it otherwise useless with cadets having to compete with every fresh CPL for their first SE VFR job? I'd appreciate replies from anyone, in particular those anyone have any experience or know anything about the program. You can PM or email if you want.

Cheers
Ping

atwelltheaussie
26th Aug 2009, 00:55
I'm also interested in the Sharpes Airline cadetship. I have mates there now doing it but their not sure how they'll go about getting a job either. Have you looked at other places?

PQian06
27th Aug 2009, 01:41
atwelltheaussie (http://www.pprune.org/members/308742-atwelltheaussie),

Unfortunately, I am ineligible to apply for the QF cadetship, but I don't think I'd get through if I was offered the chance at the selection process anyway. The other options for me are either the Rex cadetship or to continue to my CPL back at my old flying school.

From speaking with several pilots, I was under the impression that the hardest thing about aviation was trying to get you first job (catch 22 - experienced required to get a job, but job required to get that experience). Once you nailed that, the hours accumulated would open up further doors of opportunity in the industry. I guess what I was thinking that the FO metro time with Sharp would sort of be a fast track into the industry. After the cadetship, you would have hours, and it would be easier to find a job in flying (for what its worth, I’ve heard of sharp trainees going straight into other regionals after the course). This is why I see it as my most attractive option.

However, the state of the industry being the way it is, I can understand if the sharp graduates are finding it difficult to secure a flying job, many would be regardless of their experience. Would you know if your mates on the course are given any help with finding a job? I suppose career assistance would be one of the highlights of the course. It would be interesting to know whether the cadets can actually benefit from the 90k and can move up the industry, or are simply back to square one.