PDA

View Full Version : NAIPS on my Macbook?

Delta Oscar Charlie
25th Aug 2009, 22:46
Hi folks,

I have a Macbook and want to be able to use it for NAIPS. Does anyone else have any experience in running NAIPS on macs?

All help appreciated

startingout
25th Aug 2009, 23:03
vmware fusion is what i use but parallels works aswell... no other way im sorry as they have not ported it over to mac... Have you got an iphone?

VH-XXX
25th Aug 2009, 23:25
I just use the web version which doesn't care what your operating system is, but agreed the functionality isn't quite the same.

www.airservices.gov.au/brief (http://www.airservices.gov.au/brief)

Delta Oscar Charlie
26th Aug 2009, 00:48
Ya am aware of the web based but as you said XXX its not as functional or doesn't leave room for a typing error.. Thanks

Starting out, ok I'll look into those. Not sure how they work but I'll figure it out I'm sure. No iphone I'm afraid as I'm a poor student pilot at present...

Thanks for feedback

grrowler
26th Aug 2009, 00:56
If you have OSX10.5:

1. Get a hold of your preferred version of Windows (XP:ok:)
2. Open Bootcamp Assistant and follow the instructions
3. Once done, hold down [alt/option] key while booting up and select Windows
4. Run any Windows apps that you want.

Definitely the way to go, once it's set up properly you can run either OSX or Windows natively and get the best of both worlds:cool:

startingout
26th Aug 2009, 01:01
Good luck with whatever you decide, i've cracked it with my copy of Windoze but know if i delete it i'll lose naips but free up 10gb of space, catch 22... bought a copy of it for iphone this morning. But otherwise as said online may be the only option. SO:ok:

Atlas Shrugged
26th Aug 2009, 03:05
What's a Macbook? ;)

Capt Claret
26th Aug 2009, 08:34
D.O.C. A work colleague pointed me in the direction of VirtualBox VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) the other day. I use Parallels so haven't looked at it (virtualbox) but as I understand it, it will allow you to run windoze on your Macbook, and thus run NAIPS on windows.

I run XP through Parallels and find it an excellent compromise, given that NAIPS and a couple of other programs won't run on Mac.

Atlas Shrugged

I used to be of the same opinion, then I tried, and now, can't imagine ever going back to PC.

Macbook is what people use when they want it to work first time all the time and never to experience the Blue Screen of Death! :}

compressor stall
26th Aug 2009, 11:44
Another vote for parallels. Works beautifully, especially on 4gb Ram on a macbook.

All the CBT training software and windoze specific stuff resides there. I rarely fire it up though except to study.

It could be a hassle though to fire it up just for NAIPS. The few occasions I use NAIPS I use the iphone... :E

Delta Oscar Charlie
27th Aug 2009, 22:25
Thanks to all who have contributed to this, much appreciated.. Have to go and purchase xp now it seems as you can't download if for mac anymore for free...

Is it worth it? I 'm just starting my Navs next week and was told it would be very useful..

RAAus_Pilot
18th Sep 2009, 01:04
I've had an email from the NAIPS developer and they'll be upgrading NAIPS to work on any system, Windows, Mac and Linux. Tis upgrade isn't to far away so Mac users, just be patient for now :ok:

Dot Product
18th Sep 2009, 02:56
In regard to them making it work with Linux, it already does. Interestingly I could not get NAIPS to run on my Vista x64 laptop, so did a quick install of ubuntu and wine and it works perfectly.

Native support would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Mark1234
18th Sep 2009, 09:16
Is it worth it? IMHO no - I had naips on the PC, and mostly just used the web..

Unhinged
18th Sep 2009, 09:48
IMHO very definitely worth it to have a real version that would run on MacOSX. Web version is painfully intolerant of errors, and you can't add extra stages once started; both important issues when my students (and me) are using it.

Still using a perfectly good PowerBookG4, so parallels/virtual box/bootcamp don't work. VirtualPC is kinda ok, but huge and slow.

Bring on the native version :-) !! (hmmm, hope it's a universal binary ...)