PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPLH to FAA PPLH

pitot212
25th Aug 2009, 16:17
Normally it's the other way 'round, but what do you need to do to get an FAA PPLH if you already have a JAR PPLH?

Gordy
25th Aug 2009, 17:00
Here (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=23b22f9450a3c492996f82f3a7efb0d8&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14)

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 61—CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND GROUND INSTRUCTORS
Subpart B—Aircraft Ratings and Pilot Authorizations

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.
Link to an amendment published at 74 FR 42556, Aug. 21, 2009.

(a) General. A person who holds a current foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may apply for and be issued a private pilot certificate with the appropriate ratings when the application is based on the foreign pilot license that meets the requirements of this section.

(b) Certificate issued. A U.S. private pilot certificate that is issued under this section shall specify the person's foreign license number and country of issuance. A person who holds a current foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued a private pilot certificate based on the foreign pilot license without any further showing of proficiency, provided the applicant:

(1) Meets the requirements of this section;

(2) Holds a foreign pilot license that—

(i) Is not under an order of revocation or suspension by the foreign country that issued the foreign pilot license; and

(ii) Does not contain an endorsement stating that the applicant has not met all of the standards of ICAO for that license;

(3) Does not currently hold a U.S. pilot certificate;

(4) Holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a current medical certificate issued by the country that issued the person's foreign pilot license; and

(5) Is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

(c) Aircraft ratings issued. Aircraft ratings listed on a person's foreign pilot license, in addition to any issued after testing under the provisions of this part, may be placed on that person's U.S. pilot certificate.

(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. private pilot certificate provided:

(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument privileges;

(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person applies for the instrument rating, the person passes the appropriate knowledge test; and

(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

(e) Operating privileges and limitations. A person who receives a U.S. private pilot certificate that has been issued under the provisions of this section:

(1) May act as a pilot of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry in accordance with the private pilot privileges authorized by this part;

(2) Is limited to the privileges placed on the certificate by the Administrator;

(3) Is subject to the limitations and restrictions on the person's U.S. certificate and foreign pilot license when exercising the privileges of that U.S. pilot certificate in an aircraft of U.S. registry operating within or outside the United States; and

(4) Shall not exercise the privileges of that U.S. private pilot certificate when the person's foreign pilot license has been revoked or suspended.

(f) Limitation on licenses used as the basis for a U.S. certificate. Only one foreign pilot license may be used as a basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate. The foreign pilot license and medical certification used as a basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate under this section must be in the English language or accompanied by an English language transcription that has been signed by an official or representative of the foreign aviation authority that issued the foreign pilot license.

(g) Limitation placed on a U.S. private pilot certificate. A U.S. private pilot certificate issued under this section is valid only when the holder has the foreign pilot license upon which the issuance of the U.S. private pilot certificate was based in the holder's personal possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

pitot212
25th Aug 2009, 17:44
Gordy :ok:

idle stop
25th Aug 2009, 18:57
I believe what Gordy describes is a Validation Certificate. Got one of these, though now expired because of TSA. (Mine's an old paper one; they have to be plastic these days, I'm told.)
What you can't do with a Validation is exercise what are effectively 'Class Rating' privileges contained in a standalone FAA PPL(H). So you can't fly an aircraft on which you have a JAA type rating that's expired, for example, claiming to be within the FAA privileges, on a Validation, because the validation is only of the foreign licence and all the ratings thereon.
I'm going through this at the moment trying to get a standalone FAA PPL on the basis of my UK ATPL(H), so any further advice greatly appreciated! I'm planning on doing this during a forthcoming trip to the States and am in the middle of the TSA Alien Approval process at present. Then, as I understand it, I have to do 3 hours training with a FAA CFI, take the written, and pass the FAA skills test. I have a FAA Class 3 Medical, issued when I did my JAA Class 1 recently.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!

Gordy
25th Aug 2009, 19:06
trying to get a standalone FAA PPL on the basis of my UK ATPL(H),

No such thing. You either get a PPL based on your foreign license OR you meet the requirements and pass a checkride just like everyone else in the US.

If you want an "un-restricted" PPL you will need to meet all the hours requirements, (including the specified cross-country dual and solo, night, etc), take the written test, oral and flight portions of the checkride.

Here are the requirements--FAR 61 Subpart E (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=016750e024c7c04e75c085feaa376410&rgn=div6&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.5&idno=14)

birrddog
25th Aug 2009, 20:23
If you are applying for a license in the same category and class of aircraft (or in FAA terms, any helicopter under 12,500 pounds) to which you already have a valid license, you do not need to get TSA authorization; you may however need to be registered with the TSA though not sure.

Jarvy
25th Aug 2009, 20:28
I have a CAA CPL(H) and am now living in the US. Filled in form at Gatwick , then filled in a form off the FAA website. Posted this off then a few weeks latter received a letter saying to go to my nominated FSDO and will get a FAA PPL(H). Am going next week so will let you know.
Idle stop with your experience you should have no problems.
Jarvy

Gordy
25th Aug 2009, 20:50
Jarvy

You will be issued an FAA certificate based upon you foreign license. All the restrictions on your CAA license will apply---for example---If your CAA license expires, your FAA will not be valid until you renew your CAA.

collector
25th Aug 2009, 21:00
I have a CAA CPL(H) and am now living in the US. Filled in form at Gatwick , then filled in a form off the FAA website. Posted this off then a few weeks latter received a letter saying to go to my nominated FSDO and will get a FAA PPL(H).

That's exactly what I did this summer. I have also put both my JAA licenses CPL(H) and PPL(A) on a single FAA PPL (cute plastic one with Wright brothers drawing) :}

pitot212
25th Aug 2009, 21:27
Do you need to go State side or can this be done from the uK?

collector
25th Aug 2009, 21:44
Do you need to go State side or can this be done from the uK?

You should show yourself in a FSDO of your choice (in the States)

Trans Lift
26th Aug 2009, 06:53
As Gordy said, you WILL ONLY GET AN FAA PPL ON THE BASIS OF YOUR FOREIGN LICENSE! Been there done that. It doesn't matter if you have 1.2 million hours and a license to Captain the starship enterprise (as long as it isn't an N reg). Once your JAA license becomes invalid either through the medical or LPC, etc, then the FAA one is invalid.

To get a stand alone license (called a certificate west of the pond) you have to do a checkride like everyone else.

Once all the paperwork has been sent in to the head office in Oklahoma, they will call your issuing authority to make sure that you have a license. You will then get your LOA within 6-8 weeks.

RMK
26th Aug 2009, 11:34
I’d agree with “Tran Lift” and others in it being better to have a stand-alone FAA alongside your JAA. I have both myself. All the JAA requirements meet or exceed the FAA for PPL (H) except the requirement to have 3 hours of night flying included in the training syllabus. Other than that, you need:

· Pass a single computer-based exam (you’ll have no problem)
· FAA Class III medical (you can find doctors who can issue both JAA & FAA from same visit)
· Checkride with FAA examiner

Upon passing the check ride, you’ll get a Temporary Airman’s Certificate (you can fly that day on your new ticket without having to wait for the plastic card in the post).

For FAA you have a biennial flight review and there are no type ratings for helicopters of less than 12,500 lbs. In general, an easier (and less money grubbing) setup than the CAA.

birrddog
26th Aug 2009, 13:35
If taking your FAA flight test to get an independent Airmen Certificate, I'd suggest you spend some time getting to know US Air Law, Procedures and Aviation Weather and En-Route Flight Services - to the point where you can recite and answer questions in a concise and articulate manner.

Re procedures, such as referring to circuits as patterns lest you want a confused ATC, subtly different procedures for items such as confined areas (and your verbal annunciation of what you are looking for) - though my guess is these will be more an issue for lower time pilots than high time pilots where the instructor might wave your eccentricities for the quality of your flying ;)

The written test is easy, the oral part can be quite intense.

chopperchappie
1st Nov 2009, 15:09
I just want to check what this is saying (as there's a lot of it);

1) I present my UK JAA PPL(H) and an FAA Medical Cert and get a FAA PPL(H) license without much ado (which is fair enough). All I have to do is keep my UK PPL(H) current & valid. Kind of like an International Driving License for helicopters based on your UK DL.

2) If I do roughly the above but get a check ride from an FAA examiner, I get a stand alone FAA license, then I don't need to keep my UK PPL current to fly N-REG?

Is that about right?

Obviously there are UK-Based FAA examiners, so I guess there's a benefit to having both (not least being able to fly in the US on holiday) and I was struggling to understand if I could get FAA certified at minimal cost without going to US, looking for someone to point out the error in my understanding.

Cheers

HillerBee
1st Nov 2009, 17:47
With a FAA PPL(H) you can fly G-Reg and N-Reg in the UK. As well as with a JAA PPL(H) you can fly N-Reg and G-Reg.

To obtain the FAA PPL(H);

1. You need three hours of flight training in preparation for the checkride with a FAA CFI

2. You need to pass the written test

3. Obtain a FAA Medical class 3, (class 2 if you're in Ireland)

If you don't have a JAA Night rating, you need to do 3 hours of Night training with a FAA CFI

TSA Clearance is not required. You can do this in the UK pretty easy, good number of CFI's and we have one examiner in the UK. Written test can be taken in the UK as well.

heli7
1st Nov 2009, 18:27
You do need a TSA clearance and fingerprinting.
TSA clearance can be done online it costs $130
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=c&section=WN
You training provider is your CFI.
Once you have clearance you need to be fingerprinted it can be done at Flight Safety Farnborough Airport before you do your Knowledge Test there.

Im a FAA/JAA F.I at Blackpool Airport, if you need anymore info, or interested in getting your FAA PPL or even your CPL here in the UK I have done numerous FAA students here in UK and Ireland email or call me on07946453125

Heli7