PDA

View Full Version : complex difference training

VFR Transit
25th Aug 2009, 13:15
I am looking at getting my V/P and gear signoff on the PA28R, and as all my time is on the PA28 i was thinking about how long it will take to complete?

Can anyone offer some advice on this what airwork and ground work will be involved?

Thanks
VFR

Heliplane
25th Aug 2009, 14:07
It should take several hours on the ground (self and dual study) and 3-5 hours in the air - to do it properly.

One the ground you'll want to have a full understanding of the systems - eg how does a V/P prop work mechanically, how to operate it and what might go wrong with it. Same for the retractable landing gear. I'd expect that you would learn about these systems generally and also concentrate on the specifics of the Arrow (the Arrow's gear system is pretty standard).

In the air, you'd get comfortable with the plane, learn how to operate and manage all of the systems and also cover what to do if things go wrong (eg emergency gear extensions).

There is a saying about gear up landings - "there are those that have and those that will" (it has probably been coined by those that have...)

No matter what aircraft I happen to be flying, I always check again on short final that the gear is down.

Also, on the Arrow, there are 2 sets of lights controlled by roller switches on either side of the main switch bar - I forget which one does this but if you turn one set of lights on, it assumes you are flying at night and dims the landing gear lights to the extent that you cannot see them during the day - in other words, if you lower the gear, feel the extra drag but see no green lights, check that switch!!

The Arrow is a great plane - I did my initial "complex" training in a 1967 model and had many happy hours flying it thereafter.

hugh flung_dung
25th Aug 2009, 18:28
As always, it depends on the stude and their previous experience.
For someone who already knows the PA28 it can be done effectively in 1:30-2:00 on the ground for systems (prop, injection, gear), systems failures, handling and performance and about 1:30-2:00 in the air - in fact I did one last weekend in almost exactly this time, including a vectored ILS.

HFD

S-Works
25th Aug 2009, 18:34
If you are current on a standard 28 then an hour or so is all it takes. It us not rocket science. Several hours? On which planet?

stickandrudderman
25th Aug 2009, 18:37
You don't have to know the ins and outs of how a constant speed unit works or how retractable undercarriage works.:ugh:
Why would you have to know?
Do you need to know how to calculate volumetric efficiency before you can drive a car? No!
"Complex" is a bit of an overstatement IMHO.
You should expect an hour at most on the ground and, unless you're really hamfisted, 5 hours max in the air.
So many PPLs like to perpetuate the myth that flying is difficult and that all PPL holders are above average IQ. It's not true! (I should know)
Managing your flying however is another story.

Ex Oggie
25th Aug 2009, 19:36
You can expect about 2 hours or so groundschool for both combined. More time in classroom = less time in air = less £££. Emergency touch drills can be practised in the airframe, on the ground prior to flying.

Some instructors treat it as a type conversion. This is not the case, the differences training will allow you to fly VP prop (multi lever) & retractable u/c on aircraft with different systems. It will not be type specific to the PA28R, and this must be catered for in the training. Two examples that come to mind are Russian beasties with pneumatic systems and the Gardan Horizon with a hand crank.

The actual flying should normally be only an hour or two at most, in order to teach the subject to a current and competent PA28 PPL, most of which will be emergency drills. Whether the student is then competent to fly solo on type will depend on ability, irrelevant of the differences training.