PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing now, instead of Flying?

oneday_soon
25th Aug 2009, 04:17
Thought it would be an interesting question to ask. What are people doing who have flown and worked as commercial pilots, but for whatever reason medical, economy, bad timing or lack of opportunity have gone down the path of another career now.

BubbaMc
25th Aug 2009, 04:48
Went back to uni for an engineering degree. Currently working as an Electrical Engineer in the maritime military sector.

Aerodynamisist
25th Aug 2009, 04:57
Sitting in the office looking sternly at a pile off amendments, finished flying for the day.

Wanderin_dave
25th Aug 2009, 04:59
4 years full time working as CPL including a stint as Chief Pilot. Started work in a bank to put away cash for the MECIR........2 years later still at the bank.....conditions/lifestyle too good to leave.

I still fly - Limited category adventure flights on the weekend and just scored a 3 month contract flying Jan-Mar next year. Bank is giving me unpaid leave for this time so job will be here when i get back.

Don't imagine I'll go back to flying full time, but will make sure I'm always flying somehow.

cityfan
25th Aug 2009, 05:01
That's the way to do it, especially if it is a good bank and a stable job!:ok:

aseanaero
25th Aug 2009, 05:08
I own an aviation trading company in Jakarta.

We wholesale buy and sell parts packages to mainly overseas companies (95% of parts sales are export) , buy and sell aircraft (export also). We also buy aviation surplus from the Indonesian Air Force.

On the salvage side of the business we break up turboprops and Boeing 727 and 737.

Now getting into arranging aircraft leases for local operators and monitoring the leases on behalf of overseas owners.

Longer term we are aiming to establish a cargo operation with ramp door cargo aircraft (either direct operation or under another companies AOC as an AOC costs a fortune up here)

Briggs-Meyer is ENTJ.

Wanderin_dave
25th Aug 2009, 05:09
Really Cityfan?

Every morning the GAM boys depart overhead while I wait at the train stop. It would be a big pay cut and I would hate the lifestyle (I'm too soft I know), but regardless I'm still very, very jealous.

The Green Goblin
25th Aug 2009, 05:16
I bet you all still tell all the birds at the bar you're a pilot :p

You'll be back!

PlankBlender
25th Aug 2009, 05:22
Goblin, I'm warming to your sense of humour. :}

Obviously, we're all pilots at heart, no matter how we pay the bills and how often we get in the air and for what. The fact that we're here pretty much proves that...

Wanderin_dave
25th Aug 2009, 05:28
Good call Greenie, i still rock up at the bar in the full uniform too. Bars, cap, Raybans and all!! Got the coolest number plates too - AV8OR!!

I do laugh when I see those kinds of guys hanging around YMMB!

Best bit about this job is sitting on Proon all day :ok:

I know i'll be back, I just haven't admitted it to myself -- Even the girlfriend says so! :bored:

Jabawocky
25th Aug 2009, 06:08
Started work in a bank to put away cash for the MECIR........2 years later still at the bank.....conditions/lifestyle too good to leave.

Gee kid in a candy store.....MECIR = one day at work for some Bank Execs:}....or you could try the other method, but they will put you in the clink if you get caught! :ooh:

HarleyD
25th Aug 2009, 07:00
Planky,

I take a little exception to your claim that we are all pilots just because we are here on prune, couldn't disagree more. there are plenty of wannabee's and ppl's that have read a few books and played flightsim that think that they can put ther two cents worth in on any subject, regardless of the opinions of some very experienced people here.

The real pilots, or at least the real professional pilots are those who have made their career and life, and lifestyle commitment to earning their daily bread in this sometimes thankless industy. Still, when i am sitting in my office above the clouds, far above any earthbound executive's office I would not swap jobs regardless of mere financial rewards. my licence will be prised from my fingers against my will and only then will I think about what cames after this life.

Oneday_soon asked what those of us commercially employed pilots who have left the industry are doing now, not whether we are all one with the wannabees and flight simmers, very different question. It is very easy to pick the real pilots from the 'sciolists' we are warned about.

I have been flying for a long time and don't intend to stop anytime soon, despite the occaisional burst from wifey (number 2, number one couldn't hack the lifestyle of an ag pilot's wife). sitting above ayre's rock, the simpson desert, baby krakatoa, the bay of bengal, the tasman sea, the andes (beside the andes really), the grand canyon the black hills of dakota, the carribean, the amazon or orinoco rivers, mt wilhelm , the whagi or ramu valleys, clouds (any clouds) or a heap of other places, or belting along at 3 feet spraying u nder wires and between treesis a workplace that is so far beyond the comprehension of those who deliberately choose serve behind a counter in a bank (no offense intended) rather than to grasp the nettle firmly and take the lumps for a few years, that it is difficult to dignify the claim that we are all pilots because we peck a few posts of a forum from time to time....hellloooooo.

To those who have tasted the life and been compelled to hang up the headset for significant reasons, please post on,, for those simmers who like to see their name on a post, please read the starting post and enter at your (ignorance and) peril.

I also have pile of amendments to attack soon, still, its not all blue skies and tail winds every day is it??

Best Regards to all retired Professionals,

HD

PlankBlender
25th Aug 2009, 07:09
point taken, HarleyD, and an inspiring post to boot.

The commitment and sacrifices of the professional pilot is obviously a different ballgame from the involvement of the recreational pilot or simmer/wannabe. The good thing is the latters' lack of insight is usually exposed here fairly quickly, so good advice is still available in these halls for the thinking pilot :}

I'd still maintain we're probably all pilots at heart, but you've made the point, some cannot or do not want to step out of their comfort zone, leave behind the pay packages and perks and do something they could really love....

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Aug 2009, 07:23
The commitment and sacrifices of the professional pilot is obviously a different ballgame from the involvement of the recreational pilot or simmer/wannabe

Geez! Where did I put me violin?

Dr :8

Ultralights
25th Aug 2009, 07:28
AME for Bae 4 days a week, Senior Instructor at YSBK 3 days a week.

tinpis
25th Aug 2009, 07:43
On the salvage side of the business we break up turboprops and Boeing 727 and 737.

Plenty of help from local airlines? :hmm:

aseanaero
25th Aug 2009, 07:46
Plenty of help from local airlines? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Hey Tinpis , the pre-broken up ones there ain't much left of them ...

A few years ago the operators were buying B727 and 737s out of Mojave USA (lots of ex American Airlines aircraft and they weren't too bad) and as soon as they hit a C or D check or a big expense item they parked it and bought another so there were a lot of pickings.

They changed the rules a few years ago so that pax aircraft had to be less than 20 yrs old for an initial import and in reality the majority aircraft being imported are 10 to 15 yrs old so that all stopped.

The only damaged Boeing that we salvaged was a B737-200 with a nose gear collapse , the rest were all parked due to economics (it was cheaper to buy another one than fix).

We've stopped doing Boeing Pterodactyls (727 and 737-200) for the moment as the market is flooded with parts and too slow moving.

-

aseanaero
25th Aug 2009, 08:39
Haven't come across any porters have ya mate? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Not yet , still digging !

40Deg STH
25th Aug 2009, 08:48
In almost 30 years flying, I have been laid off 3 or 4 times from airlines and Corporate job. I'm still here.Planning on retiring only after 40 yrs flying, then plan to instruct at a lovely quiet country airport back in Aus. I may have a little to teach by then!!
Still got the 1st wife (poor thing). I thought of quiting a few times, but never could.
I got my CPL when it was said "you will never get a job", there weren't too many around then. You had to have 3000 pic and Senior commercial for a job with Hazeltons and 1000 hours for a scenic C206 job in the NT.
Swept more hanger floors than you can poke a broom at!!! Washing aircraft on a hot bush day was like paradise to me and then a mail run followed by a million beers with my mates who were doing the same. We would all then collapse in our on site caravans or back of cars and start another day.
Now have seen most of the world and now spend too much time away from my long suffering family, but they would hate me to quit, as they know it would kill me!!
I'm looking forward to instructing in a little over 10 years back home, but in the meantime will enjoy flying the 744 and jetlag!!
To say which part has been the best part to date, is too hard. I have loved it all. Size is not everything, commitment and passion are!
I cant wait to teach SEVFR, I'll leave the MEIR to guys/girls trying to move up the ladder. As long as there is aircraft to fly in the day a ice cold beer and bull**** session after, my world is perfect!!:ok:

sixtiesrelic
25th Aug 2009, 10:20
Did another couple of years in foreign countries, after doing twenty years up to twenty years and one day ago .
Happily hung up the aircraft headphones and a couple of years later put on another kind and now pretend to fly planes in a simulator and get paid for it.
Was there for the very best of Oz aviation, don't bother with a license any more. Get a pole around, occasionally in mate's aircraft and DON'T have to do or PAY for amendments, medicals or subject myself to daily inspections by disrespectful morons who have joined the new industry at airports.
NO back of the clock, no rushed aircraft meals, no stupid airy fairies who feel they should be paid as much as a Senior commercial pilot, flogging a Conquest around the backblocks because they've done a six week course to become a senior FA (or what ever they call themselves these days) or ask why I should have gotten a pilot position and they only got to be a FA when we joined the company in the same group. They wouldn't have minded being a pilot....true stories.
Do I miss it? ... not one bit.
I had twenty five great years looking down on PNG, OZ, Asia and the Pacific.
There comes a time when another magically exciting life can be discovered.
I'm in that one now.

the wizard of auz
25th Aug 2009, 10:45
I have managed to remain in the industry, but dont fly anywhere as much. I moved from hunted to hunter. :E

Plow King
25th Aug 2009, 10:54
Left full-time commercial flying in '02, and after a couple of odd-jobs returned to the family agricultural enterprise, as well as studying a viticulture degree part time. Still manage to keep just current enough to be dangerous, thanks largely to a couple of very charitable individuals that let me have a steer every now and then.

It was the single hardest decision I have ever made to commit to another vocation; I will always miss flying for a living, however my current work situation provides a flexibilty and security that aviation didn't offer at the time. I will make a more regular professional contribution to aviation when my work/family/study commitments stabilise, but for now I count my lucky stars every day that I've got a job I enjoy, a great family life, and I can still maintain my passion for flying.

There were a lot of boxes that never got to ticked regarding things I wanted to achieve in flying, but in reality the list was too long to be completed anyway! Fortunately I've got some good mates who I can live vicariously through - those who get to experience things most people just dream of.

Size is not everything, commitment and passion are!
I cant wait to teach SEVFR, I'll leave the MEIR to guys/girls trying to move up the ladder. As long as there is aircraft to fly in the day a ice cold beer and bull**** session after, my world is perfect!!

40Deg - when you're back here and instructing, let me know - when I need a BFR I think you'll be just the man!

Quag_mire
25th Aug 2009, 10:59
Nice post 40deg STH. The time in between jobs is when one starts to doubt being in it, however I will persist. Hopefully years from now I too will still have my first missus. :)

40Deg STH
25th Aug 2009, 11:09
Ploe King.......will be my pleasure:ok:

A37575
25th Aug 2009, 13:42
I'm looking forward to instructing in a little over 10 years back home,

Be careful what you wish for.. Hanging around some tin-pot flying school with the 20 year old grades 3's all vying for the first TIF victim to peer nervously around the door - shonky Cessnas with clean maintenance releases - write up a defect and get the DCM. Do you really want to lower your sights that far? Ripping off students with a "just another revision flight"
Mind you things could be different in ten years from now, but I wouldn't hold my breath..
Better to take your airline pilot savings and enjoy a few ship cruises with your family.

Lodown
25th Aug 2009, 22:21
Gave up career as pilot in 1998 when one of my passengers coerced me to be the CEO of his chain of strip clubs across the southern USA and Hawaii from his base of operations in the Florida Keys. It's far nicer relaxing in the back of the Falcon with a beer and a couple of girls with a car waiting to pick you up at the destination than it was at the pointy end and at the hotels in between. Weekends are spent chasing tarpon and sailfish out of the marina or bumming between the islands with the top down on the E-type. Can be tough at times, and requires the regular girlfriends to put up with the occasional long absence, but it beats the heck out of the previous career.

aseanaero
26th Aug 2009, 01:46
It's far nicer relaxing in the back of the Falcon with a beer and a couple of girls

Hey Lodown , not that I don't believe you but a photo would be nice to see :ok:

From aircraft pole captain to captain of pole dancers.

So far that's the best job on this thread !

40Deg STH
26th Aug 2009, 02:40
A37575

I know what your talking about and for that reason I will not be around one of those schools, as I said, a nice country airport where it is done with learning and fun in mind. That is one of the reasons I never instructed before.
Don't worry, there will be the odd cruise with my bride and trips away on the lifetime air travel. And when not doing either, You can find me on my tractor or beside the pool with a cold beer chatting to my amazing kids and watching the grand kids swim.
What I was basically trying to say in my previous post, is while aviation is a bugger of an industry,it is worth the effort.
Some people are forced to leave sadley and some leave because there are easier paths to take! Aviation is like a marriage to the rest of us, it takes commitment, love and passion to stay through good and bad times. A few beers help too:D
I don't think I can ever be removed from flying and my son is heading down that track too. Thankfully my daughter is smart like her mother!!

Now back to study for my sim check next week!!! Got to love it!!

Quag Mire

Yes your right, Most of us have had these gaps too and doubts about the career, but as you say, stay and keep going. When these things have happened to me, my wife just raises her eyebrows and says "haven't we been tested enough". She never ever has once suggested i quit, she knows I would never be happy and you seem to be like the rest of us too, so keep on going my friend.
At school we had a Caplain and he had a saying (was an all boys school). " Life is like taking a piss, You need aim to hit the bowl, and you need commitment to stay there until your finished". I don't think too many of us are finished yet, just sometimes our aim is a little off!!! Just ask my wife!!!
Good luck my friend.

CoodaShooda
26th Aug 2009, 04:07
40 Deg South

You could almost be the yin to my yang. There are disturbing similarities in our having children looking for careers in aviation and dreams of retiring to a pleasant instructional role.

However, over 30 years ago, I had the choice of pursuing a professional flying career, with the option of either commercial or RAAF - or staying with the very comfortable Government pay cheque.

Sadly, I listened to the doomsayers. You'll remember them. "No employment opportunities." "Once you're 26 the majors won't look at you." "Oil crisis." "RAAF reducing flying hours." etc etc etc. So I sentenced myself to 25 years with Gummint and 11 years and counting not with Gummint.

Could I have made it as a pilot? I apparently had the technical skill. The DCA examiner who conducted my RPPL flight test rated me as being at CPL standard and I passed a BFR on my first flight after a 20 year break. Whether or not I had the strength of character, I'll now never know.

By any measure, I've had a successful career outside aviation, still have wife #1 (and only) and we've raised three fantastic kids. Had our ups and downs but thats life wherever you are.

But there's always, always been a feeling of discontent at the opportunities wasted and the dream of one day..............................

Its what brings us sad ol' couldabeens to pore over the aviation magazines at the local newsagent, to look up at the merest hint of a sound from a passing aircraft and to nervously enter the hallowed portals of Pprune like junkies looking for that next fix.

Its also why I'm grabbing with both hands a suggestion from my company that I regain currency for my licence and start flying around the Territory, rather than continue to drive as I have up until now. There's been a silver lining to the introduction of the 130 km/h speed limit after all. :E

So, watch out world, coodashooda may soon have to rebadge as cooda-issa. :ok:

OpsNormal
26th Aug 2009, 05:08
Bring it on Cooda!:ok:

40Deg STH
26th Aug 2009, 05:19
Well done Cooda-Issa, you certainly shoulda!! Yes, those days of 26 being the cut off point. Well now you have a chance and your taking it, it will never feel like you missed out. You are a luck guy, you have a good family and long career, now your passion of flying will also be fulfilled.
Well done my friend, YOU DESERVE all the pleasure you have and will get. And when you sit in your rocking chair with your teeth in the glass beside you, like me, will have no regrets. :ok:

And the NT is an awesome place to fly over. I take my hat off to you sir.

ENJOY:ok:

By the way, its also guys like me who paw over flying magazines and watch aircraft too. It never goes away. You can always spot a pilots pilot by the way we always look up when we hear "That sound"!!

tinpis
26th Aug 2009, 05:20
See if yer can get a wrestle of the Harvard Cooda :ok:

AnyGivenSunday99
26th Aug 2009, 06:41
Quag Mire, I certainly hope you still have wifey number 1. She's super! :}

And hopefully one day you'll learn how to wash an aeroplane properly too....

Chin up Tiger... we do it cause it's the best job in the world and we make the best mates in the world.:ok:

b_sta
26th Aug 2009, 07:06
By the way, its also guys like me who paw over flying magazines and watch aircraft too. It never goes away. You can always spot a pilots pilot by the way we always look up when we hear "That sound"!!Fantastic, and that is what it's all about really, not some rubbish pitting PPLs against CPLs or whatever, like some insecure members of this forum like to espouse! :ok:

Quag_mire
26th Aug 2009, 07:56
"Learn how to wash an aeroplane"?! Hey who laughed when I bought tyre shine for our a/c huh? I like 'em shiny, slippery and smooth :cool:

777WakeTurbz
26th Aug 2009, 09:16
Im currently doing a bit of Labouring and Heavy Machinery operating etc...

Im one of those poor buggers crippled by his hindsight after resigning from a great job to do my ATPLs. After which i was hoping to pick up a bit of work closer to home while waiting on Airline positions to present themselves.
Currently a full ATPL holder with no shortage of hours, much more than half of which is Multi Command time. No bites on any fronts in this current economic climate.

Sad story eh... :sad:

I hear the sounds of aircraft flying overhead, stop, watch, listen and die a little inside each time... lol

bushy
26th Aug 2009, 09:27
Flying is a disease, and there is no cure. It's infectious.

Pilotette
26th Aug 2009, 09:43
I couldn't agree more...

Howard Hughes
26th Aug 2009, 09:46
I've had periods in my life where I wasn't flying. In those times I have driven trucks, sold insurance, emptied septic tanks and loaded catering onto aircraft. The one common factor in all of these jobs is you spend all of your spare time looking up!:ok:

j3pipercub
26th Aug 2009, 13:06
I like 'em shiny, slippery and smooth

Is that the tyres or the wife?:}

Lodown
26th Aug 2009, 13:37
Aseanaero, normally I wouldn't mind posting photos, but my ex-wives think I'm destitute somewhere in Sydney's western suburbs. I don't want to spoil the illusion.

Avgas172
26th Aug 2009, 16:48
Lodown, anyone who can afford multiple ex wives must be rich. :ok:

VH-UFO
26th Aug 2009, 17:06
I can picture HarleyD standing in front of the mirror, arms folded around his back, caressing himself and telling himself what a wonderful p-i-l-o-t he his and that everyone else, including that useless good for nothing PPL should bow to him and kiss his feet with many thanks.:rolleyes:

I can understand frustration, but to say it in the manner you did just smacks of arrogance.

Lodown
26th Aug 2009, 21:33
Avgas, it took me a few to learn my lesson. The second one was the cutest but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She found a couple of long, blonde hairs on my jumper and I had her convinced a police horse had backed into me and swished me with its tail. That was until she saw the lipsitck on my butt when I was changing into my pj's later on. I tried to convince her that the police horse was operating undercover and had makeup on, but she didn't buy it.

Sunfish
26th Aug 2009, 22:26
Building a boat at the moment ...that's where all my flying money is going:}

j3pipercub
27th Aug 2009, 00:18
UFO, you sir are a t-o-o-l

Sunfish, what sorta boat?

AnyGivenSunday99
27th Aug 2009, 00:59
Firstly, Lodown - you owe me new undies. just messed them up i was laughing so hard.

I've been around the aviation industry my whole life, and I've seen them come and go. One thing that remains perpetual though, is those that have touched the industry, will forever more look skywards at the sound of a growling or whistling aero engine - regardless of whether they love or hate the industry.

I totally agree with Bushy. It's like herpes. Once you have it, it's with you for life.

Like so many others, I myself am perservering through one of the "tough" periods. Wishing I was up there instead of down here, living on 2 minuite noodles and asking myself why we do what we do. Even during these times, I still can't imagine doing anything else. As I said before, we have the best job in the world, even if it is flying a 172 with fat german tourists over some rocks... most days are diamonds, and it sure beats working for a living.

For all our friends that have fallen by the wayside on the journey to the airlines, well, I guess it is not for everyone. I know you all have your reasons. My thoughs are this - dont stop flying because you are no longer a career pilot. I know I could always scrape together a few bucks each month to go for a burn in a 152, or a Cub. Take the time to go to the Dero club for a few ales. There is a comraderie (sp.) between pilots that exists long after our medicals expire that other industries could only wish to have. It's something very important to me personally.

Bet you all remember your first solo better than your first r**t.....:ok:

Lodown
27th Aug 2009, 01:44
Actually no! My first solo wasn't followed soon after by several injections of antibiotics.

Horatio Leafblower
27th Aug 2009, 01:49
Wishing I had married someone more supportive :sad:

elzimex
27th Aug 2009, 01:58
Ex commercial pilots, in my experience, are at the bottom of the list when looking for work, whether in aviation or out side.

The fact that they have a great amount of experience to offer the industry seems to be generally discounted, particularly when the reason for being an ex-commercial pilot is age related, medical failures seem to be even more discounted.

I found myself with no place to go at 65 and a shaky medical and for the past 4 years have been working as a Security Officer in large retail stores. It would be difficult to describe the difficulty I found the transition, however it pays the bills which have to be paid.

The Green Goblin
27th Aug 2009, 02:09
Building a boat at the moment ...that's where all my flying money is going

I wonder if you will be an insurance risk there too!

I'd be building a bridge while I were at it sunny :E

tiger19
27th Aug 2009, 03:55
I get $150 for every "home guy" pic i send into picture magazine!!!! cashed up

Quag_mire
27th Aug 2009, 05:40
Lodown, that sounds like a certain equine friend AnyGivenSunday99 was mixed up with once, except that this little Shetland was the one with lipstick on on its butt. Apparently helping it through a fence...:confused:

AGS99
Firstly, Lodown - you owe me new undies. just messed them up i was laughing so hard.
I totally agree with Bushy. It's like herpes. Once you have it, it's with you for life.

"Ah... centre, request 10miles left of track please"

j3pipercub
27th Aug 2009, 06:24
HL

Been there done that, got the t-shirt, well half the t-shirt anyway

HarleyD
27th Aug 2009, 06:45
VH-UFO

HaHaHA excellent come back, I cooda writ that meself. I have a feeling that you must have met me by the way you seem to sum me up so poetically.

And if we haven't met, I would be quite happy for you to shout me a few drinks whilst I regale you with stories from many continents, and some incontinence, all of them interesting and mesmurising, some based on fact and even some true ones. Some of these stories are so incredible that sometimes I even amaze myself!! and that is no mean feat, even if I do say so myself, as I do.

I have had a heap of fun times, some absolutely amazing times, a few terrorizing ones, (sorry, I mean character building don't I) and the occaisional periods of misery between flying jobs. I was a professional mororcycle racer in Europe and here in Oz for a while, and whilst that was basically high adreneline and broken bones, i went back to ag fliying coz it was safer. You can still be a perfessernal pilet when you're an old broken down fart, in fact this is known as ''distinguished" by us senior aircrew, but you won't cut it on the race track where a youthful lack of fear is a distinct advantage and arthritis is a severe disadvantage.

Yes I still look up when i hear a plane, and yes I check out the avaition mags in the newsagents (why don't they put them closer to the stick books, it would save time). so I am also an aviation sad, just like so many here.

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, oooh you are soooo sexy, bald and over weight though you may be, or maybe this mirror is defective,

HD

Plow King
27th Aug 2009, 08:02
My thoughs are this - dont stop flying because you are no longer a career pilot. I know I could always scrape together a few bucks each month to go for a burn in a 152, or a Cub. Take the time to go to the Dero club for a few ales. There is a comraderie (sp.) between pilots that exists long after our medicals expire that other industries could only wish to have. It's something very important to me personally

AGS99, good advice indeed. I know for one that I was a little bitter when my career path took up a different heading, mainly due to the lack of flying activity but also because I thought one of the consequences would be losing some very good friends that I'd met along the way. Of course, what it made me realise was who my good mates really were, despite not being able to catch up as often, and as I said before, I get to live vicariously through them. Sometimes it's hard not to get a little p!$$ed off (why is it that ASICs, medicals and documents all expire in the same month?:ugh:), but these days I cherish every second behind the controls; the planned half-hour flight rarely stops at 0.5 - just one more circuit to see if these landings get any better.....

M14_P
27th Aug 2009, 12:05
Well I finally got involved in this game doin akro stuff in Pitts under 135 a few years back now instructing on Pitts/172 etc. Spending as much money as possible flying Tigers (getting experience for a summer casual job coming up) and rebuilding a Pitts with a friend as well, just a single seater for competition and recreational fun.
I own a small business as well which is going along nicely. Intend on buying a second aerobatic machine with 2 seats that I can teach in privately as well within the next 2 years. (I had a bit of a crack in a Yak over a few years in a syndicate which was great fun, that would be my no.1 choice without a doubt).

Non aviation, I enjoy Jet skiing - get out on the lake 12 months of the year.
Just love old aircraft, and intend to be involved with flying them until I am 80 at least. :)

PlankBlender
27th Aug 2009, 20:45
M14_P, you're in an enviable position indeed, good on ya and enjoy! :ok:

elzimex, ever thought of putting all that experience to work as an RA-Aus instructor? Medical requirements are much less stringent, and it must beat the hell out of the security job.. there are a fair few schools around, new ones seem to open almost every month somewhere around the country, and I've talked to a fair few recently that were looking for experienced instructors, especially with GA/commercial experience.

Mach E Avelli
28th Aug 2009, 15:02
Plankbender, I too have thought about RAA instruction. I even have enough time in bugsmashers below 600 kg now to qualify! Also I believe that I have the interest to do the job and would probably enjoy it. Hopefully there is not the incessant pissing contest that exists in much of the airline check and training scene, and also in the GA instructional movement where everyone is chasing the next step on the ladder. Once pilots get to ATO level many become very territorial. Not to mention the CASA crap that goes with these appointments. Reduce the supply, increase the demand, ratchet up the earnings - potentially bad for the industry but it's good business for the ATOs.
On the other hand, if RA instruction pays (say) $40-45 an hour, you would need to fly 1000 hours a year to make a fairly meagre wage. At a more realistic 600 hours a year it is almost better to be on the dole.
I can't imagine that the average recreation pilot who is learning to fly on a shoestring would want to pay much more than 50 to 60 bucks an hour for dual, and assume that the school would take their cut - hence my estimate of what it would probably pay.
However, as a means to avoid raiding the super fund and defer oldtimer's disease for a bit longer, I may yet do it.
Alternatively, maybe put my motorbike skills towards becoming a postie for more money and less bullsh!t?

40Deg STH
28th Aug 2009, 18:46
Reading this thread, re inspires my faith in Aus aviation, keep it up guys/girls.
This proves, we are alive and well, no matter what we fly. We all look UP!
We should never forget it.........SPL,PPLCPL,ATPL, what we all are, is PILOTS. I cant wait to come home. I'll be in Camden on the 3rd, BBQ fired up, beers flowing and watching aeroplane fly over.

Can't wait!!:ok:

Lets make this as good as "More photo's". pilots sharing industry stories

CoodaShooda
29th Aug 2009, 08:19
By any measure, I've had a successful career outside aviation, still have wife #1 (and only) and we've raised three fantastic kids. Had our ups and downs but thats life wherever you are.

Since I wrote that the other day, a good mate has been killed in a freak vehicle accident and my wife has been diagnosed with a serious cancer.

The concept of "carpe diem" has been brought home with a very large thud.

Can anyone recommend a good RAA school in the Perth area? It seems I'm going to be down there for the next couple of months, helping my wife through this difficult time. (Actually, she'll be helping me deal with it; I'm feeling effing useless.)

The Green Goblin
29th Aug 2009, 08:31
Really sorry to hear mate, you must be going through hell. My thoughts are with you for your wifes speedy recovery.

Bunbury Aero Club is the closest place I'm pretty sure for RA.

Make sure you keep us updated and I'm sure the Perth boys will band together for a beer if you put the word out!

40Deg STH
29th Aug 2009, 10:53
Cooda, my thoughts are with you and your wife too. I will be thinking of you both.
She sounds an amazing lady. Look after her, although I'm sure you are.
Keep us informed.

Good luck my friend and fellow aviator

Rollingout
29th Aug 2009, 12:20
Ahh damn. Sorry to hear about that Cooda. I wish you both well for the coming months.

Another RA school in Wyalkatchem. Sport Aviation Academy (http://www.sportaviationacademy.com/)

Might be getting a bit far out though it's probably about the same as Bunbury.

CoodaShooda
30th Aug 2009, 11:55
Thanks fellas. We've moved from shocked to numb, for the moment.

Sorry for the thread drift.

The point I was trying to get through to young 'uns agonising over whether or not to give it a go is....if your heart is really in it, go for it!

If it doesn't work out, you can move on to something else without forever wondering whether you made the right decision.

If it does work out, then you have nothing to regret either.

But whichever way you go, don't fark about agonising over a decision. You may not have as much time as you think.

Rollingout
30th Aug 2009, 14:01
Cooda, I think you just answered every trainee/wannabes most often asked question with that very statement.

oneday_soon
19th Jun 2011, 15:08
Bringing back to the top, as it has been a few years since updated and people may have more stories to share.

aseanaero
20th Jun 2011, 00:27
It was 2009 when this thread kicked off , 2010 was our best year ever (we sold 5 Fokker 100's, B200 King Air, C160 transport and 3 light aircraft) resulting in a 100% growth in turnover of the company but the first half of 2011 has been slow partly because of a warehouse move (we have 1,200m2 at Halim airport). Currently trying to buy a jet and 5 helis for parts.

Also helping a company to reactivate a Transall C160 (parked for 3 years) , I could be back in the air soon in the RHS of that aircraft as back up crew.

It seems the aircraft market (sales and parts) is in a deep dark hole again , a bit like 2008. Nobody is buying stock unless they can flip it immediately (myself included)

Ultralights
20th Jun 2011, 00:55
update? still modifying S70's for the millitary 4 days a week, and still bashing circuits some times when i feel like it, but now flying my own aircraft whenever the weather lets me! :ok: and very fortunate to have a missus that flies as much if not more than i do! if only i could get her out of the left seat occasionally.

training wheels
20th Jun 2011, 00:58
As for me, well, back to flying again since 2010. Indonesia seems to be the place to be at the moment. A number of Aussies getting starts at various airlines as F/Os. And no, not all of us paid for type ratings. About 20 years ago, you'd have foreign captains training local Indonesian F/Os in this part of the world. Now it's the other way around. Airlines here are expanding with new equipment and local flight schools still can't produce enough pilots at the moment thus their need for foreigners.

aseanaero
20th Jun 2011, 01:04
Airlines here are expanding with new equipment and local flight schools still can't produce enough pilots at the moment thus their need for foreigners.

Very true and nobody wants to fly turboprops , one of the cargo operations I'm indirectly involved with (I'm the aircraft owners local rep) is losing 75% of their captains to the airlines.

The arrogance of some of the Indonesian captains is astounding , it won't be a lot of fun being a foreign FO

aseanaero
20th Jun 2011, 01:15
Training wheels - Merpati MA60 ?

CoodaShooda
20th Jun 2011, 03:27
It's a bit freaky to find this thread resurrected.

In the intervening time, I've got back in the air, courtesy of RAA. :cool:

Number 2 son gained a pilot training gig with the RAAF and also soloed with RAA. :D

The other kids are going from strength to strength in their chosen careers. :)

And my wife beat the odds with cancer; or so we thought until last Thursday.

Now we're waiting on further tests.........:ugh::{

Lancair70
20th Jun 2011, 04:14
Hey Coodashooda, thats not good news about your wife mate. Hope all goes well again for you. Great to hear another I got back in the air story.

I gained my PPL in Feb 89' and had my CPL, MECIR and G3 Instructor by late 90'. Spent 4yrs flying skydivers on and off, for NO pay at all, spent thousands travelling the country looking for work. Finally gave up looking and decided to change carreer path in early 95. After yrs working in sales and then IT plus various other jobs while moving around a bit, I finally settled in one spot running a business for my parents. After 6 yrs of watching planes go over (business is under downwind for either runway at local airport) I decided to get current. I still run the business for my folks and fly for local skydive mob. Right now we have a rocketship of a 182, with a tuned IO550. Can get over 1000fpm through 6-7000 with a full load, typically 18-20min to FL140, not bad for a C182 !!! Had 3 jumpers on board last week to FL120 was 13 min wheels off to door open.
Ive got a great fishing boat and great lifestyle mixed with some fun flying occassionally. Do I regret not getting into the airlines ? Sometimes but then again after flying 20-30 loads in a few days I get bored and figure maybe routine flying would get the same whoever or whatever your flying. Maybe I wasnt cut out for it in the first place then ? ?
Im happy and enjoying life.

Mr. Hat
20th Jun 2011, 08:35
Crew bus, 2nd night 4 day trip.

sms777
22nd Jun 2011, 12:00
I have been out of aviation for about 8 years now. Currently owner of a restoration business specialising in American muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.
I enjoy what I am doing but I am constantly covered in bruises because everytime an aeroplane flies over I run outside falling over things too busy looking up in the skies. It's in the blood, I can't help it. :{

cam
22nd Jun 2011, 12:59
Building surveyor and structual engineer, with a couple of other degrees on the side, I often look up and think it would nice to be up there again, particularly when I talk to a few of younger pilots in the outback areas. yes I miss the life, but when I look at the bank balance at the end of the pay week it makes it a little easier:ok:

brisdude
23rd Jun 2011, 09:10
I hope for the best CoodaShooda.

There is a reason why in a down turn most pilots end up slinging beers. Go get a RSA (every state has an online course won't even cost $100 and you can knock it over in a hour or 2) and while hunting up north or out west start working a bar. Even if you have to pick up glasses...small talk with the locals will go a long way, even better if its a watering hole near an airport.

Jack Ranga
23rd Jun 2011, 09:51
I admire blokes who stick it out and make it to their career goal. I've got a few of those mates, some of them did 10-12 years in GA before the call. These are the blokes I want at the pointy end of any flight I'm on.

For every one of those mates I've got two or three mates who either threw it in due necessity (the arrival of a little one, not able to financially support themselves/family anymore).

It's a pretty sad industry really, you do an Accountancy degree, you'll get a job somewhere. Aviation: Spend a ****load of money and the odds are heavily stacked against you.

Having said that, I've gained opportunities through all the money spent and probably wouldn't change anything I've done. mmmmmm

gunnaboy
24th Jun 2011, 05:12
Well after 8 yrs of being out of the industry, I have decided that the grass is not always greener outside of aviation ( well it hasnt been for me ) and I am working on getting back in to flying. Currently finishing off my ATPL subjects with only one to go and the next step is to get the CIR current again. There hasnt been a day that went by wishing I was up there. After 8yrs of driving on the road and dealing with incompetent drivers, I would rather sit at the pointy end of a plane any day. :) All the best to everyone :)

40Deg STH
11th Jul 2011, 18:31
Cooda

I read your post when i was away on leave and not signed in. Please PM me I would love to catch up with you and keep up with your trials.
Guts like you make me proud to be pilot.
You are a man I admire.

M14_P
12th Jul 2011, 10:34
I agree with what someone else said about everyone who flies. We are all pilots, 172, Rans, B737 or F14. Who cares, everyone has that passion to fly.
We're nearly their with our Pitts by the way, it is a highly modified S1 now, I think the only original parts are the steal tube fuse and wing spars! :ok:
I have always been the type who can't stand flying the same aeroplane doing the same thing 40 hours a week...which is why I worked fulltime for such a short time. Yes, I am an aviation geek, probably the geekiest here. The most fun I can have, is to go do some akro in the Pitts (whether I am taking a mate up in the 2 seater or practicing some sequences or individual figures), then take the Tiger up for some leisure aeros over our airfield which is a long private grass strip miles away from any control zone, then retreat to the bar (which is also on the field) after cleaning the old girl down.
Being self employed, I can come and go as I please, go fly where ever I feel like. I have continued to do a limited amount of contract work, mainly instructing in the Pitts or other ga types and pt 135 in tiger/pitts.

Flying is just too big a passion to turn it into a fulltime job for me personally.

Trojan1981
13th Jul 2011, 00:05
I don't know if anyone else has found the same thing, but after flying for a living I found it all a bit boring. I once had the passion, but lost it.

I enjoy flying, and have done quite a bit of varied flying in GA, the military (both ADF and foreign) and emergency services (fixed wing). I need a bit more action, purpose and variety than just flying an aircraft can offer. Nothing does my head in more than mundane, repetitive tasks and that includes flying a - b in a straight line everyday. On top of it all, the industry is so poorly paid and pilots are exploited for years and years. I don't regret learning to fly and I still fly on a casual basis to keep my skills current, but I doubt I will ever return to the industry full time. I also have tertiary qualifications but the boredom of business is a fate worse than death.

I left to become a Paramedic and haven't looked back.

Fred Gassit
13th Jul 2011, 00:22
I agree with the last 2 posters, the flying I'm doing now is about as interesting as I think I'll find and it's killing me.

What comes next is hard to figure out, I just know I don't want to reach retirement still flying full time.

M14_P
13th Jul 2011, 02:01
Fred, get an aerobatic rating and find someone that will teach you to fly a Pitts. If you haven't flown one already, you will enjoy it so much that you will find the cash from somewhere to continue doing so.
Yes, it costs money, but anything that is as much fun as this costs! It will make flying a-b a thing of the past for ya! The aerobatic bug hit me so hard back in '04 when I first got authorised by my instructor to practice loops and rolls in the 2160 myself that I worked 50hrs a week earning $10/hr (massive money at the time:}) to pay for an hours worth each week for nearly a year.

Trojan1981
13th Jul 2011, 03:28
I agree wrt the Pitts. It's an awesome little machine and bags of fun to fly, as long as you can afford it. I did some flying in one a few years ago, but honestly prefer helicopters these days.