PDA

View Full Version : BA LHR-Washington diverted to Azores

gravity victim
24th Aug 2009, 16:51
My son (passenger) on this morning's flight says electrical problems, but I wonder if anyone here knows more?

Carnage Matey!
24th Aug 2009, 17:10
Funny electrical burning smell in the cabin, precautionary diversion to get it checked out.

Seat62K
24th Aug 2009, 20:28
Was poor weather the reason this flight was routed so far south?

jubilee
24th Aug 2009, 22:54
Hurricane Bill perhaps.
Regards,
Jubilee

ar77
25th Aug 2009, 00:07
I was also a passenger and am sitting in a bar in the Azores. The in flight entertainment had problems so it was reset, and apparently they had problems in other parts of the cabin (I heard loss of power to the food prep areas but cockpit not affected). Orbited for a short while then diverted.

They're sending engineers from London tomorrow.

angels
25th Aug 2009, 15:36
ar and gravity's son - did you get back alright?

Fargoo
25th Aug 2009, 20:57
Anyone know the aircraft type involved?

Pax Vobiscum
25th Aug 2009, 21:12
If it was BA217 (10:50 departure) it would have been a 744.

G-BPED
26th Aug 2009, 11:46
Anyone know the aircraft type involved?

It was a B747 Registration G-BYGD

Regards,

G-BPED

radeng
26th Aug 2009, 15:09
So the 'screaming panicking passengers' so beloved of journos are quietly sitting in a bar in an Azores hotel waiting for the plane to be fixed. Makes it very much a non - news story doesn't it?

Glamgirl
26th Aug 2009, 15:45
Pax have reached their destination after a night stop in the Azores. A replacement aircraft was sent out the next day to fly everyone to IAD, and the original aircraft is still in the Azores until the problem is fixed.

Gg

welkyboy
26th Aug 2009, 16:48
unofficial reports that it had an all female flight crew!!

Carnage Matey!
26th Aug 2009, 17:45
And the relevance of that would be?

You're wrong anyway.

angels
27th Aug 2009, 08:10
Perhaps welky was intimating that an all-female flight crew couldn't read a map and that therefore the plane ended up in the Azores rather than the UK? :}

Or then again, he may not.

Malone
27th Aug 2009, 11:05
Did this story make the Daily Mail, or wasn't it sensationalist enough!
:ok:

Drunken
27th Aug 2009, 14:46
Can confirm that at least one half of the crew was all-male, as I am related to him...

Like other posters here, can't see the relevance of this though...:confused:

ConstantFlyer
27th Aug 2009, 20:53
Aircraft (G-BYGD) positioned from Heathrow to Cardiff this evening.

trikko
28th Aug 2009, 10:27
Anybody has an update on the BA flight diverted to Azores island. A family friend were travelling and they told me that Flight Deck crew made an announcement that they will be landing on the water due emergency and then after few minutes they said they got the permission to land at the Azores island. Apparently they had some electrical problem. The flight was from LHR to IAD. Anybody has any update on this story.

Cheers

raffele
28th Aug 2009, 12:08
trikko,

Glamgirl posted above what happened:

Pax have reached their destination after a night stop in the Azores. A replacement aircraft was sent out the next day to fly everyone to IAD, and the original aircraft is still in the Azores until the problem is fixed.

Gg

Going on from that the post before yours states that the plane itself has returned to the UK, and ar77's post near the top of the thread gives the pax view of the incident

apaddyinuk
29th Aug 2009, 14:07
A family friend were travelling and they told me that Flight Deck crew made an announcement that they will be landing on the water due emergency

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....OMG that is sooo funny! You really should slap your family friend for making up such bull!
I assure you that DID NOT happen to us!!!!

The SSK
3rd Sep 2009, 13:15
Just how many Prooners and Prooners' relatives were on that flight anyway?

Very suspicious.

Evanelpus
4th Sep 2009, 13:06
A family friend were travelling and they told me that Flight Deck crew made an announcement that they will be landing on the water due emergency

Oh perlease! I know the byword of this site is Rumours and News but I didn't think it extended to bull****! This would have been front page news for days in the UK had it been said, the announcement probably said landing in the Azores and the 'family friend' misheard it.