PDA

View Full Version : ICAO approved abbreviation for a new airstrip

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Aug 2009, 01:27
Can anyone in here point me to how I go about applying for an official ICAO approved abbreviation for a new airstrip?

Dr :8

Brian Abraham
23rd Aug 2009, 01:41
Doc, a call to CASA should be able to point you in the right direction. Our operation had a number of places which appear in the ERSA, but not in GPS data bases. Not personally involved in the arrangement so can't expand further.

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Aug 2009, 02:10
YFDK is available. Long name for an aerodrome though:}

catseye
23rd Aug 2009, 07:32
FTDK,
Sally Danvers in Air Services Canberra is the person you need to talk to.

You need accurate WGS84 position for the runway centre if there is no aerodrome reference point.

She has a naming convention for aeromedical strips and pads.

Regards

The eye

Deaf
23rd Aug 2009, 08:20
Had a good one yesterday with ICAO designators. Was going on a trip to Western Vic and while warming up the engine thought I might go to Lake Corangamite (Wirraway did't see it) on the way, looked at the chart, about 240 and 75nm. Entered Colac in the 296 - YOLA and a casual glance showed those sort of figures.

After routing via clear spots under the CTA steps had a better look at the GPS. GS/ETE Next did not compute and the decimal point was wrong in the distance. After cursing Garmin I realised that Colac wasn't in the database but Yola, Nigeria 238-7730nm was.

Jabawocky
23rd Aug 2009, 08:23
No doubt it will have at least one RNAV :}

VH-XXX
23rd Aug 2009, 10:03
Colac isn't in my 296, I was over there on Sat didn't see the Wirraaway either after having previously having seen it but it was up to 30 knots so the chop would have made it hard.

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Aug 2009, 10:16
Hehehehehehehehe! My PocketFMS has YOLA/Colac:}:E:ok: One for the shareware boys:ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Aug 2009, 10:25
Hey Forkie, as a good check. When you do get the designator, can you post here. Good test to see how quick the database updates.:ok:

catseye
23rd Aug 2009, 11:28
Deaf,

put in BIK and see which one you get...... It's a long way to BIAK.

The Eye

Deaf
23rd Aug 2009, 12:04
Gives me three choices NDB, VOR Bindook, VOR Biak

spirax
23rd Aug 2009, 12:13
Caution: Be advised that not all unlicenced aerodromes listed in AIP/ERSA are in the Jepp data base. One would expect that they would be, but you don't have to check very hard to find some you might expect to be there and they are not. Jepp list some unlicenced aerodromes as Heliports as no runway length is provided. On my 495, heliports don't come up when you select nearest.

And yes, the ASA contact is the one to talk to re ICAO location codes. CASA are not involved. You may have to provide some data re use etc. They may not move on places where there is infrequent movements.

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Aug 2009, 08:30
A email to [email protected] giving full details is all that is required.

I will request YFDK! - just as soon as I come up with a corresponding name for the strip!! :E

Somehow I don't think "Clearance delivery, XXX, IFR for Forktailed Doctor Killer" is gonna work!

willadvise
24th Aug 2009, 14:18
I don't see why Forktailed Doctor Killer shouldn't be approved. It's no worse than YFDF Fortescue Dave Forrest. But I suppose when you were the richest man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Forrest) in the country you can call your aerodrome anything you like.:)

Flopt
24th Aug 2009, 14:57
Told you blokes he'd jump on a D9....

Flopt ;)

Peter Fanelli
25th Aug 2009, 02:05
Call it Fark.

Opens up all kinds of radio telephony possibilities.

or maybe

Farkitt

Farken Downs

:E

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Aug 2009, 03:39
Hey Forkie, as a good check. When you do get the designator, can you post here. Good test to see how quick the database updates.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

OK, the deed is done - email sent! Let the countdown begin.

Jabawocky
25th Aug 2009, 06:13
Let the countdown begin.

Will you still get a medical by then? :E

Might be the RAA FTDK by the time that gets processed.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/images/products/Waiex/waiex_flight_better.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Sep 2009, 00:43
Received this email today!

Your request below has been received. The code will be generated (YFLV) and should be available for use as of 24/09/2009 (next AIRAC date), the code will be listed in the ERSA edition dated 11/03/2010.

Well done Airservices documents people! If it happens as described, about a month from request to activation!

Will you still get a medical by then? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Will find that out this week. :ok:

Might be the RAA FTDK by the time that gets processed

Never! :=

gupta
1st Sep 2009, 01:11
The code will be generated (YFLV)

Dunno if its just me being dumb or missing something, but YFLV doesn't look much like YFDK ???

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Sep 2009, 02:36
Dunno if its just me being dumb or missing something, but YFLV doesn't look much like YFDK ???

Unfortunately there was little support for changing the name of the property to "Forktail Doctor Killer" ! :E

Capn Bloggs
1st Sep 2009, 04:49
YFLV:

Yes, Fork Tailed Doctor Killer Loves V Tails. :}

And for goodness sake, when you put the tower in, make it a GAAP with C steps above!! :}:}:}:}