PDA

View Full Version : IMC rating - when did it change

Airbus319
22nd Aug 2009, 21:24
Hi Folks,

Was due to do the IMC rating up in Inverness next week, initially quoted £2400 then £2499 for the course but thought that would reduce by at least £500 as I already have a night rating.

It turns out that there has been a change and now the full course must be completed regardless of whither you are night rated or not.

Given the extras on top (90 mins practical and examiners fees and CAA license issue fees) The price has now gone beyond my budget.

Does anyone know of a reason why and when this has changed or is LASOR's still as wooley as ever and things are still as before

thanks

David.

Keygrip
22nd Aug 2009, 22:56
Well, finally somebody has been bitten by what I have been banging on about for years - and everybody just says "stop being so bloody pedantic"

Do you have a night RATING or a night QUALIFICATION?

Airbus319
23rd Aug 2009, 07:22
Its the 5 hour night rating that I have?

PD210
23rd Aug 2009, 10:57
There is no such thing as a night rating. What one gains is a "Night Qualification". You are never rated to fly at night. However, you can be qualified to fly at night.

scubawasp
23rd Aug 2009, 12:34
Quite sure the caa had a night rating when I did it and if my memory is up to scratch it allowed you three hours off the IMCR. The it became the JAA licence and night qulaification, and you had to complete the 15 hours of instruction. STBY to be corrected...

scubawasp
23rd Aug 2009, 12:37
And price aside (sure there are others that may be cheaper), even you must know that 15 hours instruction is the minimum and usually people take more than this to do the course safely. Unless you're ace ofcourse:ugh:

Keygrip
23rd Aug 2009, 18:42
STBY to be corrected...

Nope, quite correct.

In the days (nights?) of night RATINGS - course pre-requisites included extra 3 hours of instrument flying after PPL.....but they counted towards the IMC.

Night QUALIFICATIONS have no IMC - so no credit.

GearDownFlaps
23rd Aug 2009, 19:53
The difference between rating and qual is a renewal or reval is it not ? once you have a night qual on your licence its there for good, unlike an IMCR or an IR or an FIR etc etc

Keygrip
23rd Aug 2009, 20:41
Yeah, GDF, a night *rating* did, indeed have to be kept "current" by experience.

Night qualification doesn't.

....and before somebody jumps in to rip out the throat, I'm not talking about carriage of passengers.

They are however, as I've said so many times - different animals. Different to achieve, different to keep and, as Airbus319 just found out, have different values within the training industry.

Airbus319
24th Aug 2009, 11:53
OK folks it is a night qualification not rating although the website of most clubs calls it the night rating course.

I have to be honest and say I'm no ace but I did expect to be able to finish the course in the alloted hours given the fact that I have already been practicing for the course.

However it's all bye the bye now as I am not doing the course, I have decided that the £3000 will be better spent on my IR when the time comes.

I merely asked the question as to when the rules changed

thanks

David.

Keygrip
24th Aug 2009, 18:10
To *me* Airbus, that just goes to show how much the schools/clubs care about the quality of tuition.

scubawasp
25th Aug 2009, 11:37
Airbus,

Out of interest how do you hope to complete the IR without a night rating, or am I missing something???

portsharbourflyer
25th Aug 2009, 12:01
Scubawasp, you are missing something. he has a night qualifiaction, but it is the IMC course that he is not proceeding with.

Airbus 319, It is true that you no longer get creidt for the IMC rating on the IR course, so it does seem like an expensive outlay for no credit, however if you complete a well conducted IMC course it will be a good foundation for the IR. Also an IMC will allow you to fly IFR procedures during your hour building.

So although you will save 3000 now, just consider what extra hours on an IR course will cost if you don't complete in minimum hours.

mad_jock
25th Aug 2009, 12:36
if you complete a well conducted IMC course it will be a good foundation for the IR

Especially if you know who his instructor was going to be.

I wouldn't recommend anyone getting an IMC if they are going onto do an IR.
Especially the paying the CAA to get it issued.

I would recommend though having a pre IR exposure to instrument flying so you can hit the course running with your brain having some idea what a scan is and what the ruff procedures are.

Kiltie
25th Aug 2009, 12:43
The IMC rating in itself is a good initial exposure to the basic theory of IR flying. Using it in anger to go from A to B with your PPL, observing your own sensible weather limits, is worth its weight in gold when it comes to hour building. The confidence you gain makes the practical side of the IR training easier on the brain than having the minimum IF training alone.

Should you envisage a considerable gap between achieving an IMC rating and training for an IR, can use the rating practically and can afford it, I highly recommend it.

402 Driver
25th Aug 2009, 12:50
I am in the states and it might be different but . . . .

For all my IFR students I did most of their training at night anyway, they were not allowed to look outside so the later time of day did not matter, they got the night time. So why can't you go to your instructor and request the same ? I was always happy when students asked me this because then I could work with the Private / commercial students that needed day light.

Here in the states there is no difference in cost between night or day so . . .