PDA

View Full Version : World aero championship pilot killed at Silverstone

rp122
22nd Aug 2009, 12:46
Sky News reporting a light aircraft crash at Silverstone racetrack in the UK.

Reports indicate the circuit is closed and that an air ambulance is on scene.
Reported to be a display aircraft, which spiraled into the ground.

A single-seat plane has crashed at Silverstone race track.
The crash happened shortly after midday and fire crews from Towcester, Brackley and Buckinghamshire are currently at the race circuit dealing with the blaze.

The Civil Aviation Authority are currently on their way to the site to try and find the cause of the crash.
- Source (http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Plane-crashes-at-Silverstone-circuit.5579437.jp)

The American female pilot is reported to have died.
Police spokesperson, via Sky News.

BBC are reporting the crash scene to be Dadford Road, Buckingham, which runs South from the circuit.
- Source (http://ow.ly/15M0MH)

srobarts
22nd Aug 2009, 13:23
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Northamptonshire | Pilot dies in aerobatic display (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/8215889.stm)
sadly now reported as a death

captplaystation
22nd Aug 2009, 13:29
Seem to remember an Aerobatic contest scheduled there around now, guess that is probably the source as no big race meeting I can think of and airfield doesn't get much usage in normal circumstances.

rp122
22nd Aug 2009, 13:33
World Aerobatic Championships (WAC). Taking place August 17 to August 29.

- Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6073703/Champion-aerobatic-pilot-Vicki-Cruse-dies-in-air-crash.html)

frostbite
22nd Aug 2009, 14:21
Brief details at

Woman pilot killed in plane crash - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090822/tuk-woman-pilot-killed-in-plane-crash-6323e80.html)

dontdoit
22nd Aug 2009, 14:29
Unfortunately, it looks like one of the "big names" in aerobatics is no longer with us, just found out who but not posting until it's been officially announced. RIP.

rp122 - very irresponsible IMHO.

Mike744
22nd Aug 2009, 14:42
Very sad news.

A rather unfortunate lax typo in that news report, assume their spell-checker read coroner for corner.
"Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service said the crash happened in the south-west coroner of the racing circuit, in Buckinghamshire"

iwalkedaway
22nd Aug 2009, 15:04
Sad breaking news, female 40-year old US pilot has crashed fatally during practice for the World Aerobatic Championship competition at the Silverstone motor racing circuit, England.

BoeingMEL
22nd Aug 2009, 16:20
Pprune readers don't need to know the aircraft type rp122... the media trawl this website and sometimes publish sensitive information before net of kin have been informed. Some of us in here knew this remarkable lady and have refrained from sharing anything which could identify her at this early stage.
Maybe you'd be decent enough to modify your post? Cheers bm

Blues&twos
22nd Aug 2009, 16:33
A/c type is already reported in the BBC News article.

Scott Diamond
22nd Aug 2009, 16:34
I've got the feeling rp122 is in the media, since every post of his/hers is on an aviation incident and trying to gauge opinions of others who may be in the know...

RIP

hightower1986
22nd Aug 2009, 16:38
The aircraft type is on the BBC news and Sky news website, its not difficult to find out, nor is it difficult to work out the poor lady in question. Sad loss all the same, I guess its a risk of the the job.

i-MC
22nd Aug 2009, 17:16
There was no 'blaze' - sensationalist reporting.

Desperately sad day for all concerned, especially her team mates and family.

An extremely professional and well run competition - standard of flying and organisation has been second to none. The community have been hit hard.

rp122
22nd Aug 2009, 17:28
My appologies to all for some of the content I posted. It was removed within five minutes in most cases.

Lessons learnt the hard way.

I am not in the media, just interested in getting to the truth before Sky News purvey (as they often do) untruths. They get the stories first yes, but often with basic errors.

Molesworth 1
22nd Aug 2009, 17:52
The pilot has been named

Champion aerobatic pilot dies in air crash - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6073703/Champion-aerobatic-pilot-dies-in-air-crash.html)

heli-cal
22nd Aug 2009, 18:07
The You Tube video now seems tragically ironic!

clareprop
22nd Aug 2009, 18:54
I was at Sywell earlier this week and had the good fortune to meet this charming lady. Sometimes, one wonders if it's worth it...

2009 - 08/22 - EAA and IAC Mourn the Loss of Vicki Cruse (http://www.iac.org/news/2009%20-%2008_22%20-%20EAA%20and%20IAC%20Mourn%20the%20Loss%20of%20Vicki%20Cruse .html#TopOfPage)

i-MC
22nd Aug 2009, 19:58
To the people who are driven to compete, Clareprop, it is. That's your only condolence, the sport is so important to them, that they are prepared to run that gauntlet. Pretty special people, if a little crazy. RIP

IO540
22nd Aug 2009, 21:23
One of the reports suggests a control (linkage) failure or a jam.

Desspot
22nd Aug 2009, 21:41
Whats the point of guessing why this happened at this stage. So called 'reports' are a complete waste of time. Why even mention it if you can't verify the source?

My only comment is that once again, I have a horrble sick feeling in my stomach. This has been the worst year.

hoodie
22nd Aug 2009, 21:53
The IAC is the source (http://www.iac.org/news/2009%20-%2008_22%20-%20EAA%20and%20IAC%20Mourn%20the%20Loss%20of%20Vicki%20Cruse .html#TopOfPage), as in clareprop's link on the previous page.

American team manager Norm DeWitt said Cruse was flying the early-round "Q" program when she lost control of her Zivko Edge 540 aircraft by what appeared to be a mechanical problem in flight. She was at an altitude that prevented her from bailing out of the aircraft.

RIP, Ms Cruse.

Desspot
22nd Aug 2009, 22:00
That does not tally with the previous post and can hardly qualify as a source. Mechanical usually means engine, and who knows anyway?

For those who insist on speculting, you can go to her own blog and read about her mag problem last week at Conington. I will exit this debate now.

flymoll
23rd Aug 2009, 01:09
Unfortunate day for such a great competition. What annoys me most is the fact of terminology used by the press - Acrobatic Show? It was not a show it is a competition the best pilots both male and female going flat out to to be the best at what they do there are risks but we all do that by getting in to our cars every day. May she RIP and soar aloft with the eagles!!

IO540
23rd Aug 2009, 02:57
Desspot, are you a pilot? An engine problem is not going to cause this. Planes fly just fine with the engine not delivering power.

soay
23rd Aug 2009, 07:12
Jim Campbell's report at ANN of this accident is poignant:

US Aerobatic Team Member Killed During World Aerobatic Competition (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=1fe2d6b4-db77-4ca5-85d3-1b9fadffa20a&)

stiknruda
23rd Aug 2009, 07:25
A really tragic shame that has profoundly affected me.

Vicki was an exceptionally capable president of the IAC, this is the second tragic loss that the American team have suffered in a matter of months, my chum Chandi Clanton died earlier this summer. Both girls were amongst the best in the world.

Control jams are relatively uncommon but do happen. I managed to jam the elevator during a training flight a few years ago with Alan Cassidy in the front seat. AC landed it safely using power and trimmer - the trimmer control is not duplicated in the front on the Pitts S2.

The cause was a tiny bolt, AN3-7 that had become lodged under the elevator actuator horn.

Stik

a very sad IAC member

stiknruda
23rd Aug 2009, 07:30
soay - thanks for the link. I'd forgotten that Zoom [Campbell] and Vicki had been married.

Stik

Sir Niall Dementia
23rd Aug 2009, 10:06
I met the lady at Connington on Thursday and saw part of her practise as I departed.

Very much a lady and very much a true aviator.

Sir Niall

markkal
23rd Aug 2009, 13:16
Very sad loss. Just too many great pilots gone recently in the aerobatic world.

This is the second fatal crash involving an Edge 540 in the last few weeks.

The Edge 540 is the mount of many Red Bull racers. May have been designed as an aerobatic machine but it known more for excelling in speed races, being light, agile and streamlined.

However it has not been around in the aerobatic world for now nearly two decades like the Sukhois, Extra's and Cap's.

Don't know the dynamics of the accident and don't want to speculate in any way. It has often proved difficult to determine causes in such accidents, involving structures made of wood/fabric/ sometimes composite materials that don't bend but shatter.

There have been cases, both in competitions and airshows, where structural damages occurred in the air.

Others where abnormal sudden flying behaviors preceded impact with the ground.

Few cases of manoeuvers executed too low for recovery.

Downright impact with the ground after a downline at high speed, not followed by a recovery.

Difficult to investigate, where when not consumed by fire, the condition of the wreckage did not permit even to check the continuity of flying controls..

All my thoughts to the family of a pilot I only knew by reputation.

Hurts me real bad as I myself lost my twin brother one year ago in a flying accident. Not counting how many friends gone over the years.

All of you fly safe and reponsibly...Flying is so addictive I still love it....

Desspot
23rd Aug 2009, 19:36
I am not try to argue or score points I0540.

I was not there and I assume you were not there either. I hold a PPL and have relatively low hours so I accept fully that I may not have any where near the grasp on these concepts as most people on the forums.

All I was trying to say, was that without a full investigation no one should jumpt to conclusions.
Reports say she went straight up and then straight down but that may not be the case. (straight down obviously suggesting a control failure - but this speculation was what I was objecting to - even though the aerobatics guys at the club were also saying just that today). If she was about to pull up however, and lost engine power at a vital moment, she would not necessarily have had the power to pull out of any dive at low atlitude. (They were saying that too). That happens relatively often sadly. Either way I guess we will find out one day.

That said, I wasn't there, so maybe I should just shut my mouth. This debate seems to be distracting from the more important comments in this thread and my apologies for that.

stiknruda
23rd Aug 2009, 20:30
Desspot - I suggest that you adhere to your own prudent advice, maybe I should just shut my mouth

Vertical up lines, aerobatic maneouver of some flavour, followed by a vertical downline are very much the sort of things that we competition pilots are judged upon.

The accuracy of the maneouver combined with the accuracy and balance (length) of the verticals is key to the scoring system, throw in ZLA, zero lift angle and a posse of International judges = your score.

I have no idea what went wrong, I was not there - I am not speculating, merely hoping to educate.

Stik

i-MC
23rd Aug 2009, 20:59
The people who were there don't know what happened. And at this point, that's almost secondary. All of us at Silverstone feel a deep sense of sadness that this talented pilot won't be returning to California next Sunday. As racers ourselves, it's like losing one of our own, and as a pilot I have nothing but respect for the way the WAC competitors and organisation perform.

gpn01
23rd Aug 2009, 22:09
Reports say she went straight up and then straight down but that may not be the case. (straight down obviously suggesting a control failure - but this speculation was what I was objecting to - even though the aerobatics guys at the club were also saying just that today). If she was about to pull up however, and lost engine power at a vital moment, she would not necessarily have had the power to pull out of any dive at low atlitude. (They were saying that too).

I don't know which figure was being flown at the time but a vertical downline does NOT necessarily suggest a control failure. Indeed vertical lines require a control input to achieve and maintain. Think about it, do you think you could put your aircraft into a vertical dive and it would then stay there by itself? Don't know what experience you have of vertical downlines but you accelerate quickly - which increases the lift generated by the wing which, in turn, necessitates an increase in effort to maintain. Again, think about your own aircraft's performance - if you're diving vertically, and accelerating rapidly, then you have plenty of energy and airspeed which could be used to ease out of the dive (without the need for an engine to be working). To suggest anything at this stage (even what seems to be "obvious" to bar room pilots) is pure speculation.

Desspot
23rd Aug 2009, 23:30
I won't be commenting on this type of thread again. My point was missed completely and I wont waste my time. Good luck thrashing it to death all.:ugh:

modelman
24th Aug 2009, 12:43
Driving into work today BBC Radio Northampton stating all flying halted until futher notice.Could be more media mediocrity though....
MM

Webite now showing flying resumes today.

stiknruda
24th Aug 2009, 12:49
BAeA have announced that the comp will continue with flying scheduled to commence today.

I received the exploder e-mail that went to the BAeA, Silverstone, IAC and sponsors.

Stik

hatzflyer
24th Aug 2009, 13:18
I've lost several mates in the last 18 months. I'd never lost anyone close in the previous 35 years.(flying related).
I did not know this lady but she seemed well respected and will be missed by many I am sure.

Its certainly been a **** year.

I would like to think that this high profile tragedy wil herald the end of this particularly bad spell, I certainly hope so.

john ball
24th Aug 2009, 13:19
It seems fairly obvious to me that we have the usual mixture of informed people who know what they are talking about as they are aerobatic pilots and then we have others who are presumably spotters or other non pilots.

Why can't we have side anotation next to the name of the person stating what they do - example ATPL 747 pilot, PPL, Aerobatic competition Pilot or
spotter or 'virtual computor' Pilot.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Then we can just skip the uninformed rubbish and theorists and go straight to the experts.

This rant is really for all threads, not just this one.

Hugh_Jarse
24th Aug 2009, 13:28
I think the cry of "I spy journalist" is a bit overdone on this forum, but I have to admit, when I see someone who says he flies aeroplanes make a statement like "If she was about to pull up however, and lost engine power at a vital moment, she would not necessarily have had the power to pull out of any dive at low atlitude".... :mad:

Desspot, I don't know what or who you are, and whether you're a hack fishing for a sensational tidbit or not. If you are, then you're crap at your job and I hope your editor reads this and fires your arse. If you're not, then (a) I suggest you find the bloke who gave you your PPL and smack him firmly on the nose, and (b) do me a favour and stay out of the sky when I'm flying ...

RIP

Hugh

hatzflyer
24th Aug 2009, 13:28
The reason is because there is no way to verify their claims.

IO540
24th Aug 2009, 13:33
Why can't we have side anotation next to the name of the person stating what they do - example ATPL 747 pilot, PPL, Aerobatic competition Pilot or
spotter or 'virtual computor' Pilot

Because you would have a bunch of walter mittys pretending to be all sorts. There already are some. There is no way to police this. The well known walter mitty types are already... well known.... to the regulars.

hatzflyer
24th Aug 2009, 13:35
Huge, thats too strong! the guy has said he is low hours!
Its perfectly possible to gain a ppl without ever gaining the experience of diving an aircraft verically.
Is it against the law to express an opinion.
It really sucks every time there is a tragedy on here it degrades into a " I know better than you" and shows a total lack of respect for the deceased or their family.

Hugh_Jarse
24th Aug 2009, 13:47
Hatzflyer,

I'm not given to attacking people for expressing "opinions", and I'm not doing that here.

However, I'll bow to your greater knowledge, and make a mental note that the next time I find myself diving vertically towards the ground in an uncontrolled fashion, the first thing I must do is add more power ...

Hugh

UV
24th Aug 2009, 14:14
Strange that, yet again, a fatal accident brings out the worst of PPRUNE, and never the best......
UV

Hugh_Jarse
24th Aug 2009, 14:25
UV,

If that is aimed at me, then shame on you.

This is a forum, wide open to the eyes of the public and those of real low hour pilots. What has happened to this lady is a tragedy, no matter how it's happened, and desperately sad as always to those she leaves behind, and they have my utmost sympathy. Her memory, however, is not best served by letting people make daft statements - which may one day get somebody else into real trouble - go unchecked.

And as I said in my original post, may this great pilot RIP.

gpn01
24th Aug 2009, 14:26
It seems fairly obvious to me that we have the usual mixture of informed people who know what they are talking about as they are aerobatic pilots and then we have others who are presumably spotters or other non pilots.

spotter or 'virtual computor' Pilot.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Then we can just skip the uninformed rubbish and theorists and go straight to the experts.

This rant is really for all threads, not just this one.

Maybe we could have a peer-based rating scheme - a bit like eBay but based on how highly other contributors rate your postings.

UV
24th Aug 2009, 14:48
Strange that, yet again, a fatal accident brings out the worst of PPRuNe, and never the best......
UV

Hugh Jarse , no it wasnt aimed at you at all. A general remark.....
UV

Hugh_Jarse
24th Aug 2009, 15:15
UV,

Thanks for clarifying, and I apologise for jumping to conclusions !

HJ

Pace
24th Aug 2009, 15:44
This is a horrible situation which has resulted in a very respected and brilliant pilot losing her life.

Unusually I was at Siverstone today and there was a gloom about the place even amongst non flying people.

A large section of the track was not being used because of this tragic crash.
I spoke to two racing instructors one claims to have been missed by this crashing aircraft by 60 feet the other by 150 feet. Both were shocked at how much worse it could have been.

Both stated that the aircraft came vertically down at high speed which would indicate either a control problem or pilot incapacitation if their descriptions are correct. I hope it was the latter so the pilot would know nothing about it.

A very sad time.

Pace (ATPL knows very little about aerobatics)

i-MC
24th Aug 2009, 16:03
Pace, the section of the track not being used is the section underneath the 'box', both Silverstone's business and the Championship are being tweaked for the duration of the event. It's our first WAC, and we will do everything within our power to support the competitors, organisers and respect their wishes in light of this bleak situation. The instructors, (professional racers), have been much moved by the tragedy, most of us who race have lost someone we were close to on the circuit, we know that subdued vibe only too well, and as stated before, the flying circus feel like kindred spirits. As a venue we learn from our experiences, constantly modifying what we do to make it safer, better, more exciting, as racers we feel sad for the loss of someone who loved to compete.

Personally I admire the crews taking to the air today, 'it's what we do'.

BTW, I'm a racer and a pilot.

JEM60
24th Aug 2009, 19:00
Interesting to see tonight, 7.30pm on 'Look East' that a member of the American Team who witnessed the unfortunate accident stated that 'she appeared to have lost control of her rudder pedals' saying that 'she would have needed rudder' to recover from that manoeuvre

Pace
24th Aug 2009, 20:49
I-MC

BTW, I'm a racer and a pilot.

I was a racer back in the very early 1980s in formula ford, clubmans and formula 3 (a little :) If I had known you were there I could have made myself known to you and had a chat.
Racing has become a lot safer from the armco 5 feet away from the track days. Still drive and fly like a lunatic :)

Yes both hold a risk we all have to accept otherwise we would all stay at home knitting or stamp collecting and die of boredom instead :)

Pace

drogue chute
25th Aug 2009, 08:09
Just for the record... With regards to the poor chap, who despite desperately trying to point out that speculation is futile, has been taken apart by suggesting that a loss of power on an up line can cause you to not be able to recover from the ensuing dive...

This is possible and has happened to quite a few people I know. And before you start saying how amateurs should'nt be playing this game - one of them is an unlimited aerobatic champion. The propellor went into coarse pitch due to a loss of oil pressure. He ran out of everything on the way down including airspeed, ideas and altitude and he admits that he was lucky that all that happened is that he broke a few bones and a very expensive aeroplane.

I also know that this has almost certainly got nothing to do with this unfortunate accident. No speculation implied or intended.

I knew this charming lady and am deeply saddened by her death. My heart goes out to her family and close friends.

blue skies forever.

stiknruda
26th Aug 2009, 10:51
Received this morning:

All,

We have heard this afternoon that we can fly from 2.00pm onwards on Thursday (27 Aug) at Silverstone. So please come along if you can. We flew 11 Free programmes this afternoon and will crack on with more on Thursday. We may then be able to finish the Free Friday morning and possibly even fly some unknowns.

Stik

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2009, 19:24
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/104_4201.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/104_4202.jpg

Flap 5
1st Sep 2009, 20:00
I am not an aerobatic pilot, merely an airline pilot. I have dipped in to this forum because I attended Silverstone on the Friday and Saturday and heard the sad news earlier on in the week. I am surprised at the venomous attacks from certain people. Drogue chute succinctly showed how the engine can cause a problem with the propellor going into coarse pitch through an oil pressure failure.

I am interested in what may have caused this and what is being done to deal with the problem. I am sure the other competitors had an idea of the cause because other Edge 540's were flying during the competition. They weren't grounded.

They would also know their own aircraft and would know the Edge 540 is a very reliable machine. However they would be keen to know that this was a one off and unlikely to effect another aircraft. Their engineers would also be keen to know what to double check on their own aircraft.

DX Wombat
14th Sep 2009, 12:19
I apologise for the long delay in posting this but my own computers are in need of repair and cannot be used at the moment so I have had to wait until I coukl have some time on a friend's computer.
I arrived to help at Silverstone on Friday morning. There was a subdued atmosphere amongst participants and helpers. The weather was reasonable with patches of cloud which eventually deteriorated into multiple CBs and thunderstorms around and above the airfield towards the evening. The remaining flights for the day were cancelled.
Saturday morning dawned bright and fair with big patches of blue sky and plenty of fluffy white clouds. Flying was to commence at 11:00hrs approx. At 10:30hrs an announcement was made that immediately prior to the start of this last day of competitive flying the Missing Man formation would be flown for Vicky Cruse. It would be accompanied by "some appropriate music" - a phrase which, at the time, made me cringe. At 11:00hrs promptly the cloud laden skies cleared (I don't know where those clouds in G-CPTN's post came from) and the formation took off into the only bit of cloudless blue sky that weekend, accompanied by the strains of a very talented solo trumpeter playing "Taps". It was the most haunting, crystal clear rendition I have ever heard and extremely moving, especially for anyone who knew Vicky and/or the words. As the trumpeter reached the point of "All is well, safely rest...." the single aircraft peeled away from the rest and soared almost vertically upwards into that clear, blue sky. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. nobody moved or spoke, nobody shuffled about at the end, there was no coughing or chatting instead they continued to stand in silence for several minutes. It was the most wonderful, intensely moving tribute anyone could have hope for and, although I didn't know her personally, I am so glad I was privileged to be there, I shall always remember it.
TAPS
Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the sea,
From the hills,
From the sky.
All is well,
Safely rest,
God is nigh.
RIP Vicky Cruse.

Rallye Driver
14th Sep 2009, 15:01
Another view of the Missing Man formation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/YakRider/MissingMan.jpg

Big Sand
14th Sep 2009, 22:19
PPruners,
Just a sincere note of condolence to Ms Vicky Cruse. I happened to pass the time of day with her when she had the mag failure at Connington during the Aerobatics championship there.

A lovely, lady aviator and with a keen sense of humour. It has been a reality check that she is now sadly passed away. However, she died doing something I believe she truly loved.

Per Ardua ad Astra Vicky.

VBR

Big Sand

Hugh_Jarse
15th Sep 2009, 10:11
G_CPTN, Ralleye Driver and DX Wombat, thank you for those posts.

Hugh

rich_g85
9th Sep 2010, 20:57
All,
The AAIB report on this is in the September bulletin.

Air Accidents Investigation: Zivko Aeronautics Inc Edge 540, N540BW (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/september_2010/zivko_aeronautics_inc_edge_540__n540bw.cfm)

DX Wombat
10th Sep 2010, 18:09
Thank you Rich.

Skidkid
17th Nov 2010, 18:16
BBC News - Stunt pilot plummeted to ground at Silverstone display (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-11777423)

Stunt pilot plummeted to ground at Silverstone display

An aerobatic pilot who was killed when her light aircraft plummeted 2,300ft to the ground, was conscious at the time of impact, an inquest has heard. American Vicki Cruse, 41, died at the World Aerobatic Championships at the Silverstone racing circuit. Jurors at the inquest at High Wycombe Magistrates' Court were shown footage of the crash in August 2009. Miss Cruse, 41, died on impact from multiple injuries when her single-seater plane nosedived and crashed.

Miss Cruse, a former US aerobatic champion, was competing with 61 pilots from around the world at the event in Northamptonshire. Buckinghamshire coroner Richard Hulett told the jury that Miss Cruse, from Santa Paula, California, had been a member of the US team attending the event. The 11 jurors were shown footage of Miss Cruse's scheduled 10-minute flight, which took place just before 1200 BST on day two of the contest on 22 August.

Images showed the Zivko Edge 540 start to perform the required series of nine manoeuvres, including quick turns, spins and dives. The aircraft was seen failing to recover from a downward snap roll, the fifth manoeuvre in the sequence, and plunge to the ground.

Wing Cdr Graeme Maidment, head of the aviation pathology department at the RAF's Centre of Aviation Medicine, told the inquest that Miss Cruse suffered severe multiple injuries. He noted two lacerations to her left hand which he said suggested that she was grasping something on impact. He said: "I do not believe that she was unconscious at the time the aircraft hit the ground and was grasping something with the hand."

Miss Cruse's US team engineer Leonard Rulason recalled she experienced some problems starting the plane on 19 August and ignition checks were carried out before it was transferred to the Silverstone hangar. He said Miss Cruse was "a hugely competent flyer".

The inquest continues.

Skidkid
18th Nov 2010, 16:56
BBC News - Pedal factor in fatal Silverstone contest plane crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-11787858)

Pedal factor in fatal Silverstone contest plane crash

A rudder pedal extension was a contributing factor in a plane crash which killed an aerobatics pilot in Northamptonshire, an inquest has found. American Vicki Cruse, 41, died on impact when her plane nose-dived and fell 2,300ft (701m) in August 2009. She was competing in the 25th World Aerobatic Championships.

The inquest jury returned a narrative verdict, adding that the left rudder could not be fully removed in order to recover from an aerobatic manoeuvre. Miss Cruse, a former US aerobatic champion, was among 62 pilots from around the world competing in the event at Silverstone on 22 August.

In a statement read out at High Wycombe magistrates' court, the jury concluded: "Vicki Cruse, a highly experienced aerobatic competitor, while taking part in the FA1 World Aerobatic Championships, failed to recover from a downward snap roll manoeuvre, resulting in her plane crashing to the ground, leading to immediate death as the result of severe multiple injuries. "Based on the evidence given to the jury, it is our belief that the deceased's rudder pedal extensions, installed on her instruction, caused a restriction to the left pedal such that the left rudder could not be fully removed once applied in order to recover from the manoeuvre.

"We believe this was a significant contributing factor in this fatal accident."