PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air - Was I Lucky?

Final 3 Greens
22nd Aug 2009, 08:31
Despite having travelled extensively, I had never flown Gulf Air until last week.

Having heard some poor reviews, I resigned myself to the schedule convenience driving my needs more than the experience.

As it happened, the four flights were fine/good, on a par with Emirates (with whom I have flown a lot.)

The equipment was A320 (1 sector), not the best equipped example I have ever been on, but comfortable enough for a short sector, A330 (seemed to be newly refurbed and was pleasant) and B773 (operated by Jet Airways (very good flat bed seating and service.)

Did I get lucky or is Gulf Air better than many would have one believev?

joniveson
22nd Aug 2009, 09:15
I think you have to remember that people only tend to post on forums and review sites when they have an extreme experience one way or the other. It is either extremely bad or extremely good and those with an extremely good experience still tend to comment less than those with an extremely bad one.

I always prefer to make up my own mind and remember that for every unhappy passenger there were probably hundreds of satisfied ones. Two perfect examples are my very positive experiences flying with Ryanair and Flybe, other people may well have had problems with them but I got exactly what I paid for and was more than happy with it.

Sorry I can't comment on Gulf Air, but always take reviews and comments (good and bad) with a pinch of salt.

Final 3 Greens
23rd Aug 2009, 12:35
joniveson

I realise that you are trying to be helpful, but the clue in my post it the words 'heard some poor reviews.'

These came from other frequent travellers I know.

If anyone with experience of flying GF is out there, I'd appreciate hearing from you, as I would definitely book GF again on the basis of the 4 trips experienced last week, but on the other hand the peeps who passed comment have many more than 4 flights to reflect upon.

joniveson
23rd Aug 2009, 13:02
the clue in my post it the words 'heard some poor reviews.'

Sorry I wasn't aware there were clues to solve!

GwynM
27th Aug 2009, 12:33
Although I haven't flown with them for a few years, I've never had a really bad flight with them (I've probably done 40-50 flights with them). Yes, there have been delays, luggage has been delayed a day or two, but the crew are competant and pleasant, the food is OK, the entertainment is not bad but in general the whole experience is reasonable for economy.

If you're used to Business or First, then economy will seem terrible, otherwise it's no worse than any other.

Final 3 Greens
27th Aug 2009, 12:50
Hi Gywn

That's really helpful, many thanks.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to travel in business class, but thanks for the gen on Y.

tristarfivestar
27th Aug 2009, 14:47
The Y class is ok but the worst Y class are available on the type A 340s. Its like sitting in a hell hole. Those 340s haven't been refurbished since 1993! The TV barely works! even the refurbished ones are a little old! service is ok.but now the refurbished ones are not maintained as well as the TV for some seats work but not for the others which is a little disturbing.:yuk:

Final 3 Greens
28th Aug 2009, 10:45
tristarfivestar

Thanks for taking the time to post and share your experience.

Da Do Ron Ron
1st Sep 2009, 09:03
I've been flying with GF since the early 90's and I have never had what I would classify as a 'bad flight'.

Yes, there have been delays but in most cases are either weather or ATC issues.

Only had one occasion when flying into BAH from LHR when my case did not arrive but it was delivered to me within hours of arriving on the next flight.

Staff are always friendly, service is good.

Aircraft are aging a bit but new ones on order or being refurbished.

Bahrain, to me that is the best connection in Mid East as fast and, again, friendly staff always willing to assist you.

Final 3 Greens
1st Sep 2009, 09:11
Da Do Ron Ron

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I do agree about changing flights at BAH, it was painless.