PDA

View Full Version : Capt.Peter Somerville on the Move

captainrats
22nd Aug 2009, 00:56
FORMER Qantas pilots' union general manager Peter Somerville is joining the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association. ALAEA federal secretary Steve Purvinas said Mr Somerville would make a welcome addition to the association because of his legal and political expertise.

Cunning_Stunt
22nd Aug 2009, 01:38
Captain???? Pull the other one.

WoodenEye
22nd Aug 2009, 02:08
IMHO, Peter’s move is a win for ALAEA and a ‘political acumen loss’, AIPA will regret.

Sometime soon, the Federal Government will come out with its White Paper on proposed changes to National Aviation Policy and the heavy duty aviation lobbying in Canberra will begin. Tiger and the Qantas and Virgin Groups will want far reaching liberalisation changes, which will almost certainly give rise to fears of offshoreing for pilots and maintenance engineers, at the very time AIPA is now without experienced Political and Regulatory Affairs capability.

That Qantas is now getting its A330 maintenance done in Australia but doing its Trans Tasman flying out of Auckland, should be ringing alarm bells amongst Australian Qantas Group pilots. :{

Wingspar
22nd Aug 2009, 02:19
I think the alarm bells have been ringing for a quite a while now.
The current situation is merely a progression in management strategy.
I don't think any 'white paper' will change the intent of QF management to marginalise QF group pilots.
QF Pilots need to not only grab the ball but grab the right one.
No use turning up to a rugby match with a tennis ball!

blueloo
22nd Aug 2009, 02:55
That Qantas is now getting its A330 maintenance done in Australia but doing its Trans Tasman flying out of Auckland

I understand this was a claytons win (maintenance wise)

We gain what 12 odd A330's to maintain in Australia......there was a trade off though.. 26 odd 767s to be maintained overseas.

The 767s will be around for a few years to come.