PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of Pilots?

cimore000
22nd Aug 2009, 00:46
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/editor/separator.gifWhy is it that I sometimes hear on the radio or read it on sites that there is a shortage of pilots? because I always hear that getting a job as a pilot is very hard.
Which one is true, is there really a shortage of pilots or there are too many.

Huck
22nd Aug 2009, 01:11
Plot out the average pilot salary, in inflation-adjusted dollars, versus the last thirty years. There's your answer.

mrsurrey
22nd Aug 2009, 01:21
Plot out the average pilot salary, in inflation-adjusted dollars, versus the last thirty years. There's your answer.

Does anyone know where such a graph can be found?

training wheels
22nd Aug 2009, 01:40
This thread should be in the 'Questions' channel, but any way, to my fellow Melburnian, the shortage is with experienced pilots with serious jet time. There are no shortage of new CPL holders with only a few hundred hours under their belt. Thus, it will always be difficult for new pilots to find jobs and get their first few hundred hours.

Zissou
22nd Aug 2009, 01:44
Have alook in the wannabees forum if you please...

No shortage, just airlines that can't plan ahead very good!

Z

gottofly
22nd Aug 2009, 04:22
I agree with training wheels,shortage is only for experienced pilots with a few thousand hours and Jet time,especially Captains.
But then,if you are at the right place at the right time,things could click.
Also,just like any other profession,there are ups and downs and things will look better in the future .:ok:

protectthehornet
22nd Aug 2009, 04:26
there is always a shortage of really fine pilots.

soseg
22nd Aug 2009, 06:06
Also, just like any other profession, there are ups and downs and things will look better in the future .http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

God I hope that big "UP!" is coming soon... like next 1-5 years :O

bushy
22nd Aug 2009, 09:21
Many flying schools use lots of imagination when they sell their services.
It has always been thus.

Falling Leaf
23rd Aug 2009, 01:27
"Plot out the average pilot salary, in inflation-adjusted dollars, versus the last thirty years. There's your answer."

Does anyone know where such a graph can be found?

Just imagine the shape of an alpine ski jump, but without the curved up bit at the end which helps you get airborne!

Mr. Hat
23rd Aug 2009, 02:28
Falling leaf you beat me to it.. I was going to give instructions on x and y axis.

There isn't a shortage particularly at the moment.

aseanaero
23rd Aug 2009, 02:36
"Plot out the average pilot salary, in inflation-adjusted dollars, versus the last thirty years

In the mid to late 80's I heard rumors of Flying Tiger captains (747 cargo) on US$250,000 to $300,000 , don't know how true it was

Air Ace
23rd Aug 2009, 02:56
In the mid to late 80's I heard rumors of Qantas captains (747) on $250,000 to $300,000 , don't know how true it was

:E ............................

bushy
23rd Aug 2009, 04:24
That probably happens.
But it takes about 15 to20 years to get there. If you ever do.

Many people go to Hollywood to become film stars and earn Squillions of dollars. Very few make it.
Aviation in Australia is similar. A few get good jobs and make good money. But only a few. And it takes a long time to get there, if you do.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try as long as you have a realistic view of what the reality is.

qtn
23rd Aug 2009, 09:02
One little rumour of a job going, over 50 applicants as of friday. Pilot shortage, yeah right.

Tee Emm
23rd Aug 2009, 14:51
the shortage is with experienced pilots with serious jet time.

If that is correct, it would be interesting to know why Jetstar have knocked back several highly experienced out of work airline pilots (8000 hours plus on jets) all of whom were successful in their simulator assessment test. The truth is there has always been an over-supply of experienced pilots (3000 hours plus) within Australia, so airlines can simply pick and choose. When a small company in South Australia can nominate 2000 hours as their minimum hours to fly a Cessna 206, then you know there is no shortage of pilots in general.